After a iron fitting i found out a few things i am doing, and video adds 30 lbs BTY

golfdawg

Reaction score
Handicap
Bought some Cobra f9 irons, some reason they where not working for me, so went to a local well know fitter who also teaches some. Seems my lie angle was 1-2 degrees too flat, and the Recoil 110 F4 were a bit too stout for me at this time. So i sent those irons back to Global Golf and will get a new set with some new specs.

Here are the main things as far as my swing - I am right handed, 7 iron swing is 79-80 at the moment. I am a big barrel chest type with decent flexibility, but shorter arms. I am more two plane swing as it helps be get to my right side.

1. Tempo - WAY to quick - I am at a 9/10 need to be 5/10
2. Back swing is too long, needs to be about 2/3 of what it is.
3. Right leg straightens on back swing raising my hip a bit and adding to my swing length, need to keep some bend in my right knee and load against it more.
4. Handle raises some at impact.
5. Last i was setting the ball too far to the toe at set up.

Well yesterday i was at the range, and had about 50 min to test out my F9 driver, and 3 wood, and try to work on my tempo, back swing length, and keeping my right knee bent. Needless to say it's going to take some time.

Well something else happened on the last 15-20 balls, i was getting tired, swing was off, felt little week just swinging with body and arms, so i took what call a lazy swing and with my right index finger at the last second i "pulled the trigger" (using the right hand to fire through the ball) is only way i can describe it, and flushed it, and preceded to do this on every shot for the most part. I have always heard that getting too handsy can only lead to issues, but these felt as pure as anything i have hit in a while, and flew 5-10 yards longer than the previous 35-40 iron swings.

You could have just been swinging a little stiff and awkward previously meaning all sorts of lunacy was happening. Exaggerating the feels is all good though

any extra thoughts would be appreciated

Who is the local well known fitter? I am looking at some lessons and a fitting sometime this summer.

The only person I've ever taken lessons from is a teaching pro I've known since I was a beginner back in the 1990's. He's the only person I'd take swing advice from and he's therefore the only person I would let fit me for clubs.

Seems like fitters just can't resist trying to change the golfer's setup or swing during a fitting. If I need to revamp my swing, then I'll go do that and come back for an actual clubfitting. Seems like trying to "fit" me for clubs simultaneous with changing my swing is most likely going to result in a bad swing and a bad fit.

I'm not sure you should be trying to make changes at a fitting, but if changes need to be made they have to happen sooner or later.

As for the right hand throwing the ball, there is nothing wrong with focusing on the hands. "Handsy" means trying to roll arms or flip the club. That is different from using your hands to swing the club. There are plenty of teachers who recommend that. Shawn Clement is one of the more well known/popular teachers that push that idea. If it works don't worry about what other people say/think. Feel can be unique to the individual.

any extra thoughts would be appreciated

There is an old cliche that says 'feel is not real' and it actually applies to the a golf swing when the clubhead moves very fast.

Have a look at this old Peter Alliss video and he explains it quite simply (at 1:38 -2:27 ). Considering its age, its one of the better explanations of the golf swing I've seen on you-tube and you can understand it 'intuitively' without getting into complex biomechanics/physics.

[video=youtube;paJvUaLcL-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJvUaLcL-E[/video]

Basically , you have actually felt a proper natural release of the golf club where your hands have 'turned the corner' (a subconscious act). The inertia of the clubhead caused that pressure in your trigger finger but it happened 'earlier ' in your swing (but your brain registered that 'feel' around impact).

It is virtually impossible to actually use the trigger finger to enhance clubhead speed (for long clubs say 5-iron to driver) near impact because the clubs angular velocity is actually too fast for your hands to keep up (from an angular velocity perspective). In fact , physics says that the clubhead (COG really) is pulling against the hands so fast that the hands are actually causing 'drag' on the grip end. That explains why research data shows that most PGA pro swings for 5-irons and driver have forward shaft bend into impact.

So this secret of golf video by Lynn Blake is actually wrong when he says there is pressure still felt on the index trigger finger when there is forward shaft bend (physics says that cannot happen).

There is an old cliche that says 'feel is not real' and it actually applies to the a golf swing when the clubhead moves very fast.

Have a look at this old Peter Alliss video and he explains it quite simply (at 1:38 -2:27 ). Considering its age, its one of the better explanations of the golf swing I've seen on you-tube and you can understand it 'intuitively' without getting into complex biomechanics/physics.

[video=youtube;paJvUaLcL-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJvUaLcL-E[/video]

Basically , you have actually felt a proper natural release of the golf club where your hands have 'turned the corner' (a subconscious act). The inertia of the clubhead caused that pressure in your trigger finger but it happened 'earlier ' in your swing (but your brain registered that 'feel' around impact).

It is virtually impossible to actually use the trigger finger to enhance clubhead speed (for long clubs say 5-iron to driver) near impact because the clubs angular velocity is actually too fast for your hands to keep up (from an angular velocity perspective). In fact , physics says that the clubhead (COG really) is pulling against the hands so fast that the hands are actually causing 'drag' on the grip end. That explains why research data shows that most PGA pro swings for 5-irons and driver have forward shaft bend into impact.

So this secret of golf video by Lynn Blake is actually wrong when he says there is pressure still felt on the index trigger finger when there is forward shaft bend (physics says that cannot happen).

all very interesting

The only person I've ever taken lessons from is a teaching pro I've known since I was a beginner back in the 1990's. He's the only person I'd take swing advice from and he's therefore the only person I would let fit me for clubs.

Seems like fitters just can't resist trying to change the golfer's setup or swing during a fitting. If I need to revamp my swing, then I'll go do that and come back for an actual clubfitting. Seems like trying to "fit" me for clubs simultaneous with changing my swing is most likely going to result in a bad swing and a bad fit.

I'm not sure you should be trying to make changes at a fitting, but if changes need to be made they have to happen sooner or later.

As for the right hand throwing the ball, there is nothing wrong with focusing on the hands. "Handsy" means trying to roll arms or flip the club. That is different from using your hands to swing the club. There are plenty of teachers who recommend that. Shawn Clement is one of the more well known/popular teachers that push that idea. If it works don't worry about what other people say/think. Feel can be unique to the individual.

he was not trying to get me to work on any issues during the fitting, we just watched a lot of video of my swing after everything was over, and pointed out a few things that could help me.

Back