Homemade training aids

ken_h

Perpetual Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
10.5 GHIN
Has anyone tried to create their own homemade training aids, and how did it work out?

Sometimes I get a harebrained idea (like today). I might try to make this one out of PVC, hopefully it wouldn't turn out to be too enormous though. The idea would be to stick my head in the 'window' with my regular stance and practice my turn back and through. This way I have instanct feedback if I drop down on the backswing or sway to the right, two of my issues. Then also instant feedback if I stand up on the downswing, another one of my issues. The two prongs at the side would give feedback against my hips if slide to the right or left instead of turning.

Note: It's just an MSPaint mockup, not exactly to scale

x1irep.jpg

I'd be afraid of breaking my neck in it. You could use driveway markers ($2 a piece at lowes) stuck in the ground on either side of you to limit body shift and another in the ground at an angle toward your head with a pool noodle sitting over it to rest your forehead against to assist in keeping your head steady. All under $10 bucks and will take about 30 seconds to assemble. And the parts break down to minimal size for storage.

I made one of these sing 4"X4" posts for supports, and 1/2" X 4" vinyl trim board. Used it last season and it helped. Once I set it up this year I will post a picture

I would put the support for the "head box" on the other side of the ball so you don't have to worry about hitting that top piece in the back swing.

I've been dipping my head in the downswing and have been thinking about a similar contraption.

I was outside today practicing for club clash ... was looking around the backyard and this redneck idea popped into my pea head ... used it a lot, and it worked better than I thought. Sorry about the picture, as it is hard to see the orange alignment stick, that is sitting on top of a brush to get it high enough ...

Edit: you can not see it, but the stick is slid on top of the goal and under the backboard. Will post a pic if anyone is interested.

golfhead.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back