Arnold Palmer's health?

Alan4014

Reaction score
Handicap
Every time this question comes up on tv, it is brushed off, but am I the only one that thinks Arnie doesn't look well?
I understand he is 86 (I think), and that he had a fall last spring, but his health and energy level seem to be much lower than this time last year. Anyone else see this?

I saw an article online about this. Mentioned some balance issues as well.

Every time this question comes up on tv, it is brushed off, but am I the only one that thinks Arnie doesn't look well?
I understand he is 86 (I think), and that he had a fall last spring, but his health and energy level seem to be much lower than this time last year. Anyone else see this?

I hadn't really seen, nor paid attention, until the ceremonial tee shots this week, and I made a comment in the Masters thread along the same lines. Unfortunately, he does look much more fragile. I know that's no different than any of us have experienced with loved ones, but it was different, for me, seeing him in that condition.

It's unfortunate to see, but that happens when one is 86. I think many of us would be happy to have made it that far in such relatively good health.

Just a daily reminder... If it happens to Mr Palmer can or will get us all in the end...No one likes to see people they admire become old and frail. Reminds us of what is coming one day. Take a look at Mr Player to get you back to even keel.

He really is looking frail!

Just a daily reminder... If it happens to Mr Palmer can or will get us all in the end...No one likes to see people they admire become old and frail. Reminds us of what is coming one day. Take a look at Mr Player to get you back to even keel.

I think that was one of the things that really hammered it home - Player looked like he's in as good shape as he's ever been. But 6 years is a long time at that age. Falls and balance issues are serious at Mr. Palmer's age.

Watching him in the interview with Jimmy Roberts and Gay and Jack, he is definitely not very well.

Not trying to diagnose but his interactions and at times a distant look in his eyes are all symptoms we've seen in my mother when she was in the early stages of dementia.

It's a far different look than we're used to seeing in Arnold who always had that magical spark in his eye and smile.

Sadly, I don't think it was only a shoulder injury keeping him from hitting on Thursday. I hope he is able to find his health and energy.

It's sad seeing age catching up to someone whether a celebrity or even more so a family member.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Davis Love III mentioned "the importance" of seeing Arnold this year in a pre-Masters interview and then dropped the subject. The press conference after the ceremonial tee shot was very telling. Jack asked Arnold if he would consider putting a ball off a tee. Arnold passed on the offer which is understandable. Jack said Arnold has balanced issues. Player talked about the blessing of longevity shared by all three and a tear ran down his cheek. Fragility is a common and serious problem for everyone in their mid 80s. A hunch says Gary Player will do better than most on this issue but time waits for no man.

Davis Love III mentioned "the importance" of seeing Arnold this year in a pre-Masters interview and then dropped the subject. The press conference after the ceremonial tee shot was very telling. Jack asked Arnold if he would consider putting a ball off a tee. Arnold passed on the offer which is understandable. Jack said Arnold has balanced issues. Player talked about the blessing of longevity shared by all three and a tear ran down his cheek. Fragility is a common and serious problem for everyone in their mid 80s. A hunch says Gary Player will do better than most on this issue but time waits for no man.
Couples said similar on his radio show, said it was one of the reasons why he was trying so hard to make it.

It's sad too see but we all have our time here on earth. We are all just blessed for what time we get to be here. I don't think anyone on the planet has done as much as Arnie for golf and humanity and might not ever see once he is gone

I really don't think he much time left, there's just that something in his look that says he isn't well.

I was suspicious when GC started airing the Arnie specials last year. It sadly looks like his time is growing short. Player's vitality is a testament to his commitment to diet and fitness.

I think also a testament to having great genes. Arnie also used to smoke like a stack..It was sad to see Arnie this way..I kinda wish he wasnt present for the opening ceremony.

I was suspicious when GC started airing the Arnie specials last year. It sadly looks like his time is growing short. Player's vitality is a testament to his commitment to diet and fitness.

I agree with Alan in the OP, he looks like he has aged 10 years since last year to me.

I think that the biggest thing is Arnie has always been so vibrant, seeing him in his current state is such a contrast. He is 86 and has had an amazing life. We all hope he recovers that energy, but if not I am glad I got to see him in all his glory.

Preface: I hate seeing Arnie that way, objectively. I hate seeing anyone like that. He looks much greyer since last year.

That being said, I can't think of getting old like the curse some think it is. Arnold Palmer has led a spectacular life that's affected millions in his decades in the spotlight. It does look like he's running out of steam, but that's the curse of not dying to a bomb blast in your teens or cancer in your 30's or a heart attack in your 50's.

It does say something about golf that so many of the guys who are great at it, who have walked their miles on the weekends of greenest pastures, and performed the simple, limbering act of swinging a golf club, have enjoyed such amazing longevity. Gary player puts a hell of a swing on the ball for an 80 year old man. I think it says a lot for the sport in terms of the benefits of flexibility, and several hours of low-intensity exercise, that golf is so easily tied to longevity. Saying that an 85 year old man, an ex-smoker, could still put a swing on the ball, is a hell of a testament.

If he really is in declining health, you can't fault a guy like Arnold Palmer for not putting enough life in his years, and having a hell of a lot of years to do it.

I have seen the same thing happen to my father-in-law. I played golf with him when he was 87. Not nearly as good as in his 70s, but still enjoying the game. The next year he lost his balance and that, unfortunately, was that. He is 95 now and still wants to get out there, but just to ride in the cart as I play. Unfortunately, he can't even do that now. In his 70s he was still hitting his drives around 230 or so. Not too shabby! It's incredibly difficult to see the difference. But I'm so glad I can still tell him about my dismal golf game. He enjoys my ups and downs.

It pains me to see Arnie like this but he has lived a great and rewarding life. No regrets is an understatement. The world is better for his presence in it and his legacy is secure. My gut does tell me we won't see him next year and time is short.

It pains me to see Arnie like this but he has lived a great and rewarding life. No regrets is an understatement. The world is better for his presence in it and his legacy is secure. My gut does tell me we won't see him next year and time is short.

^^^^ This, and the last sentence really bums me out.

Watching him in the interview with Jimmy Roberts and Gay and Jack, he is definitely not very well.

Not trying to diagnose but his interactions and at times a distant look in his eyes are all symptoms we've seen in my mother when she was in the early stages of dementia.

It's a far different look than we're used to seeing in Arnold who always had that magical spark in his eye and smile.

We lost my mom to dementia 5 years ago now. I teared up a bit when I saw Arnie on the first tee during yesterday's broadcast... I've seen that look before. It's a tough road for the person impacted and for their loved ones. Wishing him and his family all the best in the coming months.

We lost my mom to dementia 5 years ago now. I teared up a bit when I saw Arnie on the first tee during yesterday's broadcast... I've seen that look before. It's a tough road for the person impacted and for their loved ones. Wishing him and his family all the best in the coming months.
Sorry to hear about your mother and like you, I recogizned that distant look in his eyes. I sicnerly had tears in my eyes watching him.

A few hero's from my sports youth have passed away, and certainly not trying to bury Arnie yet, but it will hit me very hard when it comes. He and Tom Watson were to of my favorites when I started paying attention to sports as young kid.

Sorry to hear about your mother and like you, I recogizned that distant look in his eyes. I sicnerly had tears in my eyes watching him.

A few hero's from my sports youth have passed away, and certainly not trying to bury Arnie yet, but it will hit me very hard when it comes. He and Tom Watson were to of my favorites when I started paying attention to sports as young kid.

Thanks for the kind words... right back at you; sorry to hear about your family's challenges. PM me if you ever need to vent about it. My old man took care of her until the very last day. 43 years with her. If I turn out to be half the man he is I will be doing just fine.

Yeah, I agree - I don't mean to bury Mr. Palmer either and I'm not in any position to diagnose (obviously). It was just tough to watch.

Back