Tour Tempo Micro Player. Is it set up wrong? 2:1 ratio vs 3:1 ratio explained.

BluesManDan

Reaction score
Handicap
I think there is a product being sold that is designed wrong. The Tour Tempo Micro Player and whatever other beeping tempo players they sell, as well as any other products or apps that have copied them. They are sold on the premise of helping you attain a perfect 3:1 ratio for swing tempo in your golf swing like the pros have. But they are selling a product that teaches a 2:1 ratio. Now I’m not writing this because I want them to get in trouble or sued, but because I would like them to actually sell a 3:1 ratio product. But somehow when their product when into production they mistakenly thought a 4 count beat (like in music) would produce a 3:1 ratio, since 3+1=4. But that doesn't produce a 3:1 ratio. A 4 count beat (counter-intuitively) produces a 2:1 ratio. I think it’s an honest mistake. But it is a mistake. I’m gonna over-explain a bit here, so forgive me and bear with me:

THE REAL 3:1 RATIO SWING:
In a swing that takes a full second, 3:1 would be a .75 second backswing to .25 second downswing.
So draw it out.

(HOPEFULLY THE FONT HAS EVERYTHING LINED UP CORRECTLY HERE... Marks at 0, 2.5, 5, 7.5, and *)

0 is where the stopwatch and backswing starts. 7.5 is where the downswing begins. The * is impact.

0..1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9..*
I------.------.------I------I

You can visually see that the backswing is 3 times longer than the downswing. 3:1

What does that “count” out to, if the first number is the start of the backswing and the last number is impact?
1----2----3----4----5

Now counting to 5 is a little awkward in our minds, so I’d recommend to get a good 3:1 tempo, you have to evenly say:
“One two three and hit”

1........2.......3......and......hit

“One” starts the backswing. “And” is the transition. “Hit” is impact. That gives you the 5 counting points, and 4 segments of time. Perfect 3:1 ratio.
Or you could say something with 5 syllables. "Take it back and hit" "Ea-sy back and hit" "Load it up and fly" "Knock it in the hole", etc., whatever.

In the old days, they said count to 3. "One two (and) three." One starts the backswing, and is the transition. 3 is impact:

1...(silent)....2......and......3

Here’s my beef with Tour Tempo:
Whenever I've seen videos of the tour tempo micro player product, it always features a 2:1 tempo instead of a 3:1 tempo.
It counts 1 (silent 2) 3 4.
That's Beep ------ Beep Beep.
1 starts the backswing, 3 starts the downswing, 4 is impact.

Understanding that the tones/beeps have spaces of time in between them, and what you are supposed to be measuring is the amount of elapsed time, and not the number of beeps, it’s only getting a 2:1 ratio with the way the tempo counter is set up.

Don't believe me?
Draw it out like we did before with a full second swing: (Marks at 0, 3.33, 6.66, *)

I--------.--------I--------I

You can see that that the backswing is twice the downswing. 2:1

What’s the “count”?
I--------.--------I--------I
Beep...............Beep.......Beep

Is this making sense?

That's a 2:1 tempo, not a 3:1 tempo.

You have to (counterintuitively) work with what we think of as a 5 count to get a 3:1 tempo, because real time counting starts at 0, not 1. This is the mistake that Tour Tempo has missed.

If this isn't clear, maybe it will help if you start with 0 as the count. Stopwatches start at 0, not at 1.
0 1 2 3 is what the tour tempo micro player is using, with a silent 1. So the beeps are equivalent to Zero ---- Two Three.
0 starts the backswing, the One is halfway during the backswing (and is silent), and 2 starts the downswing, 3 is impact.
0 to 2 is 2 segments of time. 2 to 3 is one segment of time. That's 2:1. 2+1=3.

3+1=4, yes, but you have to start counting at 0, because we aren't counting objects, but measuring time.

It needs to be 0 1 2 3 4. Not 3 beeps to 1 beep, but 3 segments of time to one segment of time.
The beep is not a segment of time. It's a marker between the segments of time. Does that make sense?

The "Beep ---- Beep Beep" that Tour Tempo is selling is NOT 3:1. It’s 2:1. Good for putting. Not for the full swing.

Has no one else noticed this? Am I voice crying out in the wilderness?
Tour Tempo doesn't have an email where I can send this info and appeal to them to fix it. I don't think I can explain this over the phone.

Back