I hit a major rut when I was training around my 13-15 mile runs. I was so sick of the same routes around my neighborhood. I ended up heading downtown to run new places, and ended up joining on on group runs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I lived about 5 miles from Lake Michigan when I was training for my marathons, so long run days were great
5 to the lake, then on the lakefront path and back home.

I have been hitting the hamster wheel and I hate it always have hated running to just run. I used to play soccer all day or night no problem tell me I got to run for conditioning and I immediately dread it.

I wish I enjoyed it but I can never get into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work and allergies have ground my running down to a stand still over the last two weeks. April 9th is my next race, time to get back to the grind!

#RunLikeTodd.

Grew up running, cross country in high school meant 12-15 mile training runs, and then speed work. In college, it meant half marathons. In my 20-40's, it was 8-10k runs. In my late 50's, left knee started getting loose - I tried intervals so I would not get bored, reduced running time, but without surgery, it's bicycle work, inside or out, light lifting, and golf fitness. For my friends, it's the same as to the transition to bike or less stress on the knees work - some run and bike, but like everything in life, fitness is a cycle -- you adjust as you go. Enjoy.

Most I've done at one time was 20.5. I know the last 6.2 miles of a marathon rely heavily on the mental aspect.

For those that have ran a marathon in your prep did you ever run the full 26.2?

No... Rule of thumb for marathon training. Don't run a marathon before the marathon.

Highly recommend this book for all in training: http://yourfirstmarathon.net/

Here we go 20 miles...see you in about 2.75 hrs.

That one hurt and I'm not sure why's. Either I started out to fast or those hills the first seven miles took everything I had. Not sure I can do another 7 miles.

Two weeks until my first Marathon. Running 12 miles tomorrow morning.

Two weeks until my first Marathon. Running 12 miles tomorrow morning.

Good luck! I got in 8 miles today and feel really good about it.

That one hurt and I'm not sure why's. Either I started out to fast or those hills the first seven miles took everything I had. Not sure I can do another 7 miles.
Just saw this, you can, it's all mental. All of the experienced runners told me to run the first half slower than the pace I wanted, and then pick it up at the half way point if everything felt good, I didn't listen but I thought I would pass it on.

The last 6 miles will suck worse than any run you've ever had, but damn if those last 300 meters don't make it all worth it.

Frankly you trained for your first full in a ridiculously small window, you are obviously a fast runner, but I would just go out there, run a comfortable pace and get that medal. You can train all out for a good pace in the fall.

Just watched a kid at my sons track meet run a 5 min mile. Oh how I wish.

Wow that is insane! For 1 mile I'd be happy cracking 7 min.

Think I'm gonna do a quick 3 miles after work at some point today. Have only been running once a week lately, need to uptick that.

Wow that is insane! For 1 mile I'd be happy cracking 7 min.

Think I'm gonna do a quick 3 miles after work at some point today. Have only been running once a week lately, need to uptick that.

Didn't even break a sweat and lapped half the kids running.

10 days out from my Maratha and my prep is down to small 4-5 mile runs and one 8 mile run Sat. Just going to go out an run a complete race. Not going to push for a knock out time unless my body has enough gas in the tank to knock of time in the last 6 miles.

Ran in my second race ever a couple weeks ago, 7th in my age group out of 37 and 105th out of 1,426 runners for the 5K at 25 min 3 sec. Not to shabby for only being into running for two months. I feel like I could have been in the mid 24s if I hadn't pushed so hard the first mile, I lost my rhythm at about the half way point and slowed up a bit. Still a newbie but I'm getting better.

10 days out from my Maratha and my prep is down to small 4-5 mile runs and one 8 mile run Sat. Just going to go out an run a complete race. Not going to push for a knock out time unless my body has enough gas in the tank to knock of time in the last 6 miles.
Good luck dude, it's an awesome experience
Ran in my second race ever a couple weeks ago, 7th in my age group out of 37 and 105th out of 1,426 runners for the 5K at 25 min 3 sec. Not to shabby for only being into running for two months. I feel like I could have been in the mid 24s if I hadn't pushed so hard the first mile, I lost my rhythm at about the half way point and slowed up a bit. Still a newbie but I'm getting better.
Congrats man, keep pushing

Damn I just feel like running. Two rest days, then 2 on Sat prior to my marathon Sunday.

Nerves are starting to catch up to me. Probably because everyone I talk to asks, "Are you ready?"

Damn I just feel like running. Two rest days, then 2 on Sat prior to my marathon Sunday.

Nerves are starting to catch up to me. Probably because everyone I talk to asks, "Are you ready?"
"we will find out" was always my answer.

Running

Picked up the race gear...
0a836885b073226cea34fe9209dbce67.jpg

Good luck dude!! You are bolder than I haha. I'm pretty confident I could do a 1/2, the big issue is I just get bored running that long haha.

I think I'm gonna do a quick 5K after work today. Did one earlier this week while I was visiting our plant in Pottsville, PA with about 6 or 7 other guys there, that was fun!

I used to love to run in high school and for awhile after but have since gone away and it shows.

Going to get back into this year and hopefully gonna get the puppy involved so I can get some of her energy out. Really looking forward to it and getting back into shape.

How's the weather looking for the race?

How's the weather looking for the race?

Race start time 40* then climbing to mid 50* by noon. Not what I was hoping to see. starting off in a t-shirt may be out. Ugh!!!

Race start time 40* then climbing to mid 50* by noon. Not what I was hoping to see. starting off in a t-shirt may be out. Ugh!!!
That sounds pretty perfect, may be chilly starting but will be perfect for the second half. It was high 60s when I finished and that felt hot at that point.

Back