Need advice on ear piercing

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
Okay Dads and Moms. My daughter is 6 and my wife said she can get her ears pierced. She wants to take her to some store in the mall called sweet and sassy. I want to take her to a tattoo and piercing shop. My thoughts are the pro piercers that use a needle will be much more sanitary and probably less painful than some teen girl working in a mall using one of those piercing guns.

Of course my wife thinks I’m nuts.

Thoughts and advice on who’s gone through this before?

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm gonna say you ought to defer to your wife on this one and steer clear of this one.

My daughter had her ears pierced by one of the guns when she was little. It’s usually faster than a shop. The studs the kiosks use are sterile and clean. For anything other than ears I’d go to a tattoo shop.

We got our girls pierced at a place called Claire’s (prob similar to what you are talking about).

Very sterile, new needles for each girl and earrings were good quality. I never thought about a tattoo place, but that makes sense as they are pros.

I will say whatever you do it’s a good 3-6 months of care to make sure the eat heals properly and no infections set in.

Just stick a potato behind her ear and jam an earing in. Should be fine.

:)

Haha. I totally forgot that method. I’ll sanitize everything with vodka.

Having had my ears pierced a number of times, yeah I was one of those guys in my youth, and having children that have been pierced I highly recommend the tattoo studio/piercing shop for a number of reasons:

* The quality of the jewelry is significantly better. (The mall shops are sterile, but the jewelry can cause complications)
* Piercing guns at the shops rip/tear the skin rather than pierce it which can cause scar tissue and impact healing
* For the above reason it's a lot more painful with a gun at a mall shop

Make sure to give her a little too to numb the pain

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just had my 7 y.o. do it and we had the same exact discussion. I beefed up winning and we went to a tattoo/pierce shop and it was a fantastic experience and now my wife wants to do it with the younger kid.

Healing is faster, placement is better and the pain was much less because of the needle vs the “punch” of the gun. It’s not even a question. Tattoo shop all the way.

We got our girls pierced at a place called Claire’s (prob similar to what you are talking about).

Very sterile, new needles for each girl and earrings were good quality. I never thought about a tattoo place, but that makes sense as they are pros.

I will say whatever you do it’s a good 3-6 months of care to make sure the eat heals properly and no infections set in.

Both of my girls had theirs done at Claire’s or a similar place at the mall. They had some high quality earnings and neither had any issues or pain.

Have you looked into seeing if your pediatrician offers the service? My wife had our pediatrician (or someone in her office) pierce our daughter’s ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my ears pierced in high school at Claire's with the gun. That's what everyone did (or pierce it at home with an ice cube and a sewing needle). The tattoo thing wasn't even on the radar back then. Honestly, I don't think it makes a difference in the long run. A tattoo shop can be just as unsanitary as any other place. I do think the gun method might be quicker. The method they use at the tattoo parlor might be more precise.

Okay Dads and Moms. My daughter is 6 and my wife said she can get her ears pierced. She wants to take her to some store in the mall called sweet and sassy. I want to take her to a tattoo and piercing shop. My thoughts are the pro piercers that use a needle will be much more sanitary and probably less painful than some teen girl working in a mall using one of those piercing guns.

Of course my wife thinks I’m nuts.

Thoughts and advice on who’s gone through this before?

TIA

The shops in the mall do hundreds of little girls' ears a week. They are fast, efficient, and sanitary. Plus they know how to handle little kids, something a tattoo shop is not practiced at.

All our girls had theirs done at Claire's in the mall. I think I had mine done at Wal-mart in college. :)

Ultimately, I agree with the previous statement of let her decide on this one. Pick your battles, and this shouldn't even remotely be near the top of the list. Also, you need to reserve your "override" card for when the boys start showing up at the door. :)

Just had my 7 y.o. do it and we had the same exact discussion. I beefed up winning and we went to a tattoo/pierce shop and it was a fantastic experience and now my wife wants to do it with the younger kid.

Healing is faster, placement is better and the pain was much less because of the needle vs the “punch” of the gun. It’s not even a question. Tattoo shop all the way.
How do you know healing and pain are better?

The shops in the mall do hundreds of little girls' ears a week. They are fast, efficient, and sanitary. Plus they know how to handle little kids, something a tattoo shop is not practiced at.

Obviously it depends on shop to shop, and I am certainly not trying to pick a debate with my favorite vegetable-friendly attorney, but the shop we went to in Miami would pierce multiple kids per week, including two the day we were there. But of course, buyer beware.

How do you know healing and pain are better?

I had my ears pierced with the gun at Piercing Pagoda (tm). Then I had a piercing later in life at the place that did my tattoos (I miss college so much). My kid didn’t even know her ear was pierced by the time it happened. But the most important thing is to keep it clean in general, and off of pressure from sleeping. Each if those will cause a cyst.

Obviously it depends on shop to shop, and I am certainly not trying to pick a debate with my favorite vegetable-friendly attorney, but the shop we went to in Miami would pierce multiple kids per week, including two the day we were there. But of course, buyer beware.
Gotcha.

At the end of the day, I'm sure the kid will be fine with either option.

Never even gave a tattoo parlor a thought. We took both my daughters to Claire’s. It seemed like a pretty painless process. My 3 year old never even flinched. My wife did mention that the jewelry at the store was of lower quality, but the stuff they do the actual piercing with is better.

Haha. When I was in my early teens I went to a weekend church retreat and some girls were doing something like this. I bet those parents were impressed with the chaperones.

What could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had my ears pierced a long time ago. I tried all the methods described, including potatoes with vodka. A piercing pistol is 50/50 here, I still had a small scar on my left ear because of it. My pick is definitely a salon.

I go tattoo parlor ... that way she can get her first tat while she's there. #DadRocks :act-up:

Back