Looking for a 5-wood (or 4) Recommendation

ajschn06

Reaction score
Handicap
Forgiving with a shallow face! The Mizuno ST-190 was great when i caught it good but the face is pretty deep and I don’t get along with that. Love the small head on the Baffler F6 but again, deeper face. Ideally 18 degrees or less (or adjustable). Thoughts?

Check out the Hogan GS53. Just got one at the end of last week and it is fantastic. 18 degrees and is accurate, forgiving and reasonably priced.

Not that shallowest of faces but my vote is for the new Taylormade M6.

Cobra F9 FW woods are fantastic. Forgiving, adjustable, and the face is shallow (or at least it is to my eyes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought a rogue 4w off CPO. good start to the relationship.

Ping G410 has been working very well for me. I also like a shallow face. I put the Fuji Pro 2.0 shaft in it and it has very reliable. I have a long history of "musical 3 woods" and for once I dont find myself researching fairway woods every free minute I have. I have it set at 16* so it is really closer to a strong 4 wood.

Get the Cobra F9 5w tour - if it fits you. Very compact, sexy club. Looks more hybrid shape than deeper wood.

I have a Rogue 4w. Shallow face and forgiving.

Ping G400 SFT or 410 SFT. Very shallow. Launches very easily.
It’s 19*. I set it to 18* so that the face sits open a tad. As Phil would say. Nothing but High Bombs

the new Callaway EF line is great. I think that profile you describe is what I see at address with mine.

My vote is the Cobra F9 5w. I love mine, shallow face, rails to help with turf interaction and just wants to fly straight

rogue. bit if a left bias, but very forgiving for such a small footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another nod to the Ping G30/G/G400/G410. I love my G400 3 wood, but the old G 30 is still so good I see no reason to upgrade. As always with club recommendations, YMMV.

I would say give the F9 a hit. I don’t like FW’s too much, but I can really hit this one from the tee or deck.

F9’s for sure. Prior to swinging them I wouldn’t carry woods - because I simply couldn’t hit them consistently. I thin the rails, the large wide club face, these are just easy to hit. My favorite clubs other than my wedges.

Forgiving with a shallow face! The Mizuno ST-190 was great when i caught it good but the face is pretty deep and I don’t get along with that. Love the small head on the Baffler F6 but again, deeper face. Ideally 18 degrees or less (or adjustable). Thoughts?

From head to head, I don't find significant differences. The primary factor for any hybrid, fairway metal, or driver is the shaft. Find the shaft that works well with your swing.

Ping G400, and they are on sale right now. I went with those over the G410s because there was not a noticeable difference for me(except for the price).

Fairway woods were a weakness for me until I got these Epic Flash beauties. I hit the 5w so good I took the 3w out of the bag. This club is now a strength!

What is your distance gap between the EF 5 wood and your BB 4 hybrid? I've heard many say the BB creeps up on fairway wood yardage

Check out the Hogan GS53. Just got one at the end of last week and it is fantastic. 18 degrees and is accurate, forgiving and reasonably priced.

Ben Hogan Golf needs to put you on staff, brother. You've been a fantastic ambassador for them on all social media platforms the past few months. Glad your loving your bag, right now, Scott. It's a good damned place to be.

Ben Hogan Golf needs to put you on staff, brother. You've been a fantastic ambassador for them on all social media platforms the past few months. Glad your loving your bag, right now, Scott. It's a good damned place to be.
I would not turn down a club deal from them! Haha. It really is a great thing to have the utmost of confidence in whatever club I pull from the bag. Can't say I have ever been there before. Now if I could just get my swing to cooperate everytime I would really be in business!

G410 fairway.

Cobra or Ping

F7 or F8 & G30 or G if you are OK with not the most current tech, F9 & G400/G410 if the latest and greatest is your only requirement.

I have the Rogue 4 wood and love it!!!

Love my rogue 4 wood as well, launches high, great control and forgiveness, very dependable

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back