When do you play your best golf?

chefkritter

It's the most wonderful time of the year
Reaction score
Handicap
As I am currently on vacation, and have played a couple rounds of golf so far and played pretty good I started to think about past rounds over the past year or so. It seems like I have played some of my best golf either on vacation, or at a new course I have never played before, or a tournament of some sort. Is that odd??? Maybe its more focus, less distraction, who knows but it feels like I hit it much better and score better than just in my normal weekend round with my friends.

What says you THP, When do you find that you play your best golf?

When $ is on the line! Doesn't matter where it is really. If I play 50 rounds in a year, 35 of those will be at completely different courses.

i think i play some of my better golf at a brand new course. 1- i think it makes me focus a little harder on what shot is necessary. 2- i don't have scar tissue.

i think you should modify your first sentence to, "i seem to live my best life while playing golf on vacation" based on some of the shenanigans you've gotten yourself into this week!

Late in the day when I'm out on the course alone, unwinding after a hard day at work.

If I could bottle that "Not a care in the world" feeling and relaxed swing and bring it to my usual low-stakes money games, my handicap would probably drop by four or five strokes.

P.S. Speaking of vacation golf, of all my golf vacations the round I remember best was at a ridiculously difficult major-championship venue that normally eats the lunch of better players than me. It wasn't the entire round but from the 2nd hole through the 12th hole I was like the Bishop in Caddyshack. Every single shot was *exactly* like I was trying to hit it. There was a pretty stiff breeze and I'd aim to one side or the other of the flag and every time I'd judge the windage on the shot perfectly. Parred 11 holes in a row on a course I've never shot better than 100 on before or since.

Then on the 13th tee I kind of hit a low, pulled semi-duffed drive. That broke the spell and I went back to a halfway decent version of my usual game for the rest of the round. Probably the only time in my golfing life I've ever experienced "The Zone" and it probably would not have happened if I weren't thousands of miles away from home.

Completely random for me. Some days I take a few swings on the range and I can feel right away like "I've got it today".
I do tend to play best early mornings on a weekend, at least compared to after work on a weekday.

Back nine after I've already screwed up on the front. (and/or after two beers)

Best golf? Pretty easy, when I absolutely least expect it. I’m much more likely to be in the 90’s (or even 100’s) than I am to go under par. I gave up golf for about 10 years. Too expensive for a young dad with a family. To preface, 20ish years ago I was a +2.2 at my best.

My first real round back I shot a miracle -2 69 at a super easy shorter course (all of the ones I play a lot are short). Aided by my only ever HIO on a 267 yard par 4 (name only). That’ll completely wipe out a mediocre front nine when it’s hole 10. From then on I was in a zone. Hit, hit, putt. I’d should have walked off right then and there but I was hooked again.

I’ve had 4 other rounds under par in the past 5 years. They’re a real bonus for me but when everything works, I can be really really good. This is both a blessing and a curse. I can occasionally channel the + golfer that I used to be but most often I have a couple holes that if taken by themselves would make someone believe I’m very good, and a couple holes that no one would ever believe I’ve been under par in my life, and most holes plodding along to a bogey or so. I lose focus so much easier and there is so much more that can go wrong now. I used to hit a horrible shot occasionally but the rest of my game was solid enough to bail me out and allow me to bogey it at worst. In the few rounds I’ve played this year, I’ve had a pair of 9’s and a 10. I also have zero eagles on the year so far. Later in the year when things harden up some, I’ll have a couple at minimum. Those can erase a mediocre score right quickly and focus me on what I’m doing.

So I can play my best whenever the golf gods decide they have tormented me enough and allow it. Otherwise I’m likely to play my best, or my worst, at any given moment. I can shoot 100 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon, or vice versa.

When the temperatures are above 95 degrees.

After a good BM...

I don't know, maybe about 1 in every 5 strokes. I'll let ya know when I stop playing poorer inconsistent golf.

Strangely enough it seems like I play some of my best golf when I’m a little hungover on minimal sleep. Haha! I actually think it helps me get out of my own way a little bit, or at the very least I’m not overthinking anything.

My best golf comes in the 2nd, 3rd, or (if I’m lucky) 4th day in row I play. Usually when I go out and play randomly, even with a good warmup, it’s not my best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I can play consecutive days, I usually play my best on the third day or when I am tired. If I am tired, then I generally don't over swing and it helps.

I suck no matter when or where. But I usually do ok between holes 4-12. After I’m loosened up but before I lose focus and quit giving a damn.

I play my best golf when I don’t think, no matter the location.

Early in the morning, on a day when I don't have any responsibilities whatsoever.

Oddly enough, when I play with strangers.

There is one consistent for me and my best rounds. They are always later in the day. Maybe it takes me that like to loosen up. Don’t know.

When my back isn't hurting. Go figure.

Two things need to happen.
1. Consistent practice so my feel and form are in good shape.
2. When I can clear my head and relax. I've had a lot of activity and stress going on the past few years.

I had my best round to par earlier this Spring and things are getting better at work. So there is hope.

When I haven't got anything else to worry about, am playing with at least one friend, I don't need to rush anywhere afterwards.

Basically when life is good, golf is good

when my back is not stiff. So, not all that often ..... LOL....... ~sigh~

But in seriousness, probably, weekday early mornings, when I decide I don't feel like working right away and head out on my own for a quick 9

I suck no matter when or where. But I usually do ok between holes 4-12. After I’m loosened up but before I lose focus and quit giving a damn.

I never really thought of it that way, but I probably average more than a half stroke better on these holes than holes 1 and 2. I often fall apart late in the round too. Hmmmm..... going to have give this some more thought.

Playing with a good friend, problem is we live quite far apart now and only play once or twice a year together. However, have my low full round (+3, 75) and low nine (E, 36) on two separate occasions whiles playing with him. No idea why.

Back