Newbie - new driver purchase

Micbob

Reaction score
Handicap
Just getting back into playing again. Looking to upgrade Driver from the Arnold Palmer 20 year old driver I have now. Lol.

Considering the following:

Taylormade RBZ black
Callaway XR speed
Callaway Rogue (if it's worth the extra money over previous 2)

I'm about 20 handicap. Thanks so much for your help!

Beat advice I can give after trying to be a budget buyer for a long time, go to a shop that you can hit each of them on a lauch monitor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP.

Hit as many drivers as you can.

Just getting back into playing again. Looking to upgrade Driver from the Arnold Palmer 20 year old driver I have now. Lol.

Taylormade RBZ black
Callaway XR speed

I haven't hit any of those clubs. I DO have a Callaway GBB Epic that I'm pretty damned satisfied with, right now. The Jailbreak technology in the Rogue is legit. PING hasn't been a slouch the past couple of models, either.

Taylormade RBZ black
Callaway XR speed

I have a similar handicap. I agree with the other posters and hit all of these in a golf shop with a launch monitor if possible.

I personally have the Callaway Rogue Draw and really like that driver. Never hit either of the others listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't hit any of those clubs. I DO have a Callaway GBB Epic that I'm pretty damned satisfied with, right now. The Jailbreak technology in the Rogue is legit. PING hasn't been a slouch the past couple of models, either.

I will 2nd this that the Epic is a very legit option. I would think one could be had for a pretty darn good price at this point.

What price range do you want to be in? You can easily find a pre owned Callaway XR16 or 2016 M2 for about $100 and both are outstanding drivers. Truthfully they stand up pretty darn well to the new drivers and ate forgiving. The regular ping G driver (not G400 or G410) is also still a excellent driver but is probably a little more as ping retains long term value better. If you wanted to go to $200-$250 range the rogue is excellent

As a example if I were starting a "top of the bag" on a $250 budget I'd go XR16 driver ($80), tour edge EX10 4 wood ($80 new on pga ss right now), and a rogue 4H ($90). Imho outstanding top top end for $250

What price range do you want to be in? You can easily find a pre owned Callaway XR16 or 2016 M2 for about $100 and both are outstanding drivers. Truthfully they stand up pretty darn well to the new drivers and ate forgiving. The regular ping G driver (not G400 or G410) is also still a excellent driver but is probably a little more as ping retains long term value better. If you wanted to go to $200-$250 range the rogue is excellent

Was looking at staying under $200 for driver.

Callawaygolfpreowned.com has 30% off Rogue drivers in "like new" condition, which will be around 200.

I concur on the advice to hit the drivers, if at all possible.

I’ve had the RBZ Stage 2 driver. It was pretty good but the Rogue blew it away. And the Flash is longer than the Rogue. If you decide on the Rogue, shoot me a message.

Callawaygolfpreowned.com has 30% off Rogue drivers in "like new" condition, which will be around 200.

Great deal. Only concern for me is knowing what shaft type to select. I did hit RBZ and during that time they used launch monitor. I'm in the 85 to 90 swing speed. Using regular flex 9.5 loft. Rogue have several to choose from and have no idea which would fit.

Great deal. Only concern for me is knowing what shaft type to select. I did hit RBZ and during that time they used launch monitor. I'm in the 85 to 90 swing speed. Using regular flex 9.5 loft. Rogue have several to choose from and have no idea which would fit.
With that SS, out of the stock shafts probably either the Aldila Quaranta or Aldila Synergy. I'd try to hit those and see what works.

Ping G400 Max!

If you can get a Rogue for $200 or less, that's my vote. Jailbreak was a noticeable improvement for me. Like others have said too, getting an Epic instead for a bit less would be great too. I actually preferred the Epic to the Rogue.

Have never hit the XR Speed though. So, I cannot say whether or not that would be a performer. Same with the RBZ Black. There is still an RBZ available at retail that seems to be in the "bargain" market. It may be a fine driver. If it is that one, you should be able to at least try it there.

Otherwise, I'd suggest callawaypreowned. Com.

They always have great deals and their condition ratings are pretty conservative. You'll rarely be disappointed in what you receive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Also consider and hit the Tour Edge Exotics. Much cheaper and I love mine

With that SS, out of the stock shafts probably either the Aldila Quaranta or Aldila Synergy. I'd try to hit those and see what works.

Noticed it shows 40, 50, 60 graphite. Which one would be best? Thanks!

Tough to say, because that's a very personal feel type question, but I tend to gravitate towards 50g/60g shafts for me. I played the Synergy in 50g in my Rogue. Very light but stable shaft.

I messed around with all stock shafts in the Rogue Heavenwood I played, ultimately settling on the Synergy. The Synergy provided a lower, more penetrating flight than the Quaranta. But, overall, total distance was still fairly close.

This is why fitting is so important. All are regular flex options but different weights. It's nearly impossible for anyone to say which is best for YOU without some type of in hand analysis. If you don't have the means to hit any of these clubs or shaft combinations maybe middle of the road is the safest bet. So, the 50?

Thanks for feedback!

One more consideration, Callaway Fusion. Pga store has it half off.

Thanks for feedback!

One more consideration, Callaway Fusion. Pga store has it half off.

Are you strictly shopping online or do you have access to a brick an mortar PGA Super Store?

Ping G400 Max!

This. I can't imagine a more forgiving and longer driver than this for someone getting back into the game.

No idea what prices on used ones are but can't be more than 250.

Online, only store in my area is Dick's sporting

If Dick's still has some of the Rogues on the floor I'd go there and hit the crap out of them. The technology in the Rogue is going to be quite a step up from the Fusion line.

They do but just 3 wood. I did hit that and felt good. Can get pre-owned Rogue delivered in very good condition for 240. $90 more then RBZ and $40 more then fusion new

Back