Deep Dive: Cleveland RTX-4 Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great info from Dan

I am looking forward to getting these in my bag - gone with the 50/54/58 all in the mid-bounce option
Thought about low in the 58 but due to the conditions I tend to play in, the decision was that it might not work out too well, plus I have the 2-dot currently in the RTX 2.0 that are currently in my bag so it made sense to stick with a similar setup

Great review! I play the RTX4 and RTX3 wedges and have had great results with them.

You mention the wear on the black, have any pics of that? I thought the dark finish on the rtx3 held up incredibly well through my 2 seasons of use with them.

You mention the wear on the black, have any pics of that? I thought the dark finish on the rtx3 held up incredibly well through my 2 seasons of use with them.

Been meaning to grab some photos.

When I get back in town I’ll get them in the thread.

Nice review Dan. Great info on all around how much fun and solid these are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review!!! I have talked to a couple people that thought these would sometimes spin to much, any issues with that at all?

Excellent review Dan. I love your use of very inviting adjectives to describe what you saw with certain aspects of the wedges.

I've played the RTX-4's for awhile now and absolutely love the compact head design in comparison to the RTX-3. I agree with Dan's comment about transitioning from the look of a pitching wedge to sand wedge; I prefer a smaller bladed iron profile and was always thrown off by the "spoonlike" appearance of a sand wedge. This is especially true on higher bounce wedges.

I didn't experience the same ball chomping or wear as Dan reports, but I'm sure that has more to do with our angle of attack differences (assumption). The grind options are fantastic, and the design makes me feel like each club is three wedges in one, giving me a ton of options.

I’m going to make @canadan hit my XLow at some point....

I'm been in heavy ponder mode on a new 50 and 54 RTX4 for my bag. I think your review put me over the top, Dan. Nicely done.

Loved the RTX-3 so I think I'm gonna like these as well.

I have the 50 54 60 all mid bounce in black. Some of the best I've played. Love the shape ,feel ,and compact profile. I went with the stock S400 DG tour issue shaft. I was worried it might be too heavy a transition from the Nippon Modus 105 in my irons, but that has not been a problem at all.
Really solid wedges.

I play RTX3 and 4 and love them. Very consistent and good feel. Only clubs in my bag I haven't reshafted.

Awesome article Dan. My experience with the RTX4 has been similar with respect to the ball chomping (great description, BTW) abilities of these wedges. I am sure this has a lot to do with the detail on the grind, including the tiny laser grooves etched into the raised portion of the ZIP grooves.

This is by far the most spin I have gotten out of any wedge. But as a higher handicapper (20+), the biggest benefit these wedges have provided me are the effortless ability to elevate the ball and get that nice ark without having to hit the perfect shot. The mid grind is wonderful when hitting out of the rough, and the low grind has been awesome in getting under the ball in tight lie situations. I can't recall the last ball I hit thin and therefore low and long, which is saying a lot.

I have even unintentionally thrown a few balls off the toe with better than expected results.

Really good stuff Dan! I’m a bit fan of what Cleveland has done with the RTX4’s, just a solid all around wedge.

The RTX-4 56* loft lists 10* bounce in the Mid and the Full has 10* bounce as well.
Is the only difference between these two that the Mid has more relief and, or, is easier to play with an open club face ?

The RTX-4 56* loft lists 10* bounce in the Mid and the Full has 10* bounce as well.
Is the only difference between these two that the Mid has more relief and, or, is easier to play with an open club face ?
More relief on the rear of the wedge on square faced shots, its actually designed for steeper AoA's. The sole shape won't really increase or decrease the manipulation of the club, the Low is the option to look at if you want that since it has the C-grind.

More relief on the rear of the wedge on square faced shots, its actually designed for steeper AoA's. The sole shape won't really increase or decrease the manipulation of the club, the Low is the option to look at if you want that since it has the C-grind.

I don't know what I want :)
I am thinking about playing the next few months with no lob wedge and have a 56* as my highest lofted wedge. So I would want one that played well when opened up a bit
for higher trajectory green side shots.
If the RTX-4 Full or Mid are o.k. for playing a bit open face, I would probably like those more than a low bounce option. My past experience with low bounce wedges was not good, especially the Merit brand "Zero Bounce" line of wedges. Those things were for masochists.

I don't know what I want :)
I am thinking about playing the next few months with no lob wedge and have a 56* as my highest lofted wedge. So I would want one that played well when opened up a bit
for higher trajectory green side shots.
If the RTX-4 Full or Mid are o.k. for playing a bit open face, I would probably like those more than a low bounce option. My past experience with low bounce wedges was not good, especially the Merit brand "Zero Bounce" line of wedges. Those things were for masochists.
You can manipulate both the High and Mid a bit, for sure, its just not max versatility.

You can manipulate both the High and Mid a bit, for sure, its just not max versatility.

I've got a 52* coming to me with the Mid bounce, so swinging that one a bit should give me some indications of how a Mid 56 might play.
I think I read something from a Cleveland rep about the Full sole/bounce being essentially the same as Cleveland's old school wedges.

I've got a 52* coming to me with the Mid bounce, so swinging that one a bit should give me some indications of how a Mid 56 might play.
I think I read something from a Cleveland rep about the Full sole/bounce being essentially the same as Cleveland's old school wedges.
Yeah its a traditional wedge sole shape/grind.

I received my 60 deg RTX 4 from Budget Golf this past Saturday. Really looking forward to putting it in play on Thursday. Love the look and that extra grind out on the toe. C0619C33-B310-4503-BB5B-2DFBF3A3C59F.jpeg

Back