Design the Yip-proof Putter

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
Okay, this isn't from a scientific standpoint, just throwing ideas around. If you were asked to design a putter that prevents the yips, what would it look like? Doodles welcome,

The thing that causes the yips is the imperfect machine using the putter. So, here's my idea, a brainless robot

perfy01.jpg

Agree with blu, that yips are mental, so one golfer's yips may not be solvable with a different putter design that another might use. Having said that, past solutions would be pretty prominent, though not allowed, now.

Some sort of design which reduces reliance on smaller muscle groups. Right now, that would look like an arm lock putter, such as Kuchar's. Could also try a heavier putter to accomplish something similar.

A giant happy face on the top of the putter with the words "you got this".

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

So a perpetual motion machine won't work right? Got to keep moving ,you, not the putter. We freeze up over the ball, nothing to do with the putter itself. Lots of theories but I suspect the cause is different for different people!

Okay, this isn't from a scientific standpoint, just throwing ideas around. If you were asked to design a putter that prevents the yips, what would it look like? Doodles welcome,

Agree with the previous poster; being Iron Archie is how you can prevent the yips. Basically you have to remove the human element since it is a personal reaction to something.

Agree with blu, that yips are mental, so one golfer's yips may not be solvable with a different putter design that another might use. Having said that, past solutions would be pretty prominent, though not allowed, now. Some sort of design which reduces reliance on smaller muscle groups. Right now, that would look like an arm lock putter, such as Kuchar's. Could also try a heavier putter to accomplish something similar.
I think them big Super Stroke grips is a step in the right direction because the big grip discourages wrist motion.

Which brings me to the question - was Ernie using a big grip? I don't want to watch that video again, I have a tournament tomorrow. :)

blu beat me to it. my suggestion was going to be for something remote controlled so all i had to do was push a button. there's nothing to stop them other than finding a way to reset your mind.

I think them big Super Stroke grips is a step in the right direction because the big grip discourages wrist motion.

Which brings me to the question - was Ernie using a big grip? I don't want to watch that video again, I have a tournament tomorrow. :)
Going to a SuperStroke 3.0 improved my putting immensely. I'll never own another putter without a SuperStroke grip

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Forgive a poor attempt at humor......

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

caddyshack0222_DV_20100222172539.jpg

I think I'd have to go with something like the Giant FGP or the MacGregor Response Mi615 I have. Something with a good 5" - 6" face, and a 3" sweet spot, face balanced, and somewhere in the 400g + weight range. Something that does the work for me. I know Im gonna hit it, and probably not push it or pull it, and I know the weight is gonna do the work.

It would be a putter that says "Yea, pick that up, you're good" if you are inside... say 30'? :act-up:

Design the Yip-proof Putter

I think a therapist would be more beneficial.

One guy at my club went to a lefty putter to calm his yips. This suggests to me that one design to cure yips is unlikely, but rather radical changes more likely to succeed.

There are also some putting approaches, such as tapping putter at address, that can reduce yippy behavior.

Laying off the booze doesn't hurt either.

It would look like a putter with some free lesson coupons attached…. LOL

Back