Woody's iron fitting experience.

woody_74

Reaction score
Handicap
I want to start this with a little about my golf game. I am a high handicapper that can shoot anywhere from low 90's to 110. I have improved my iron play and if I could get off the tee better believe that I could get into the 80's.

I went to Golf USA in Corralville Iowa for my fitting today. They were recognized as a Golf Digest top 100 fitter (not sure on year) at one point. I was actually scheduled with the owner for my fitting. I really liked him as he was very personable and not pushy about any one iron. On my drive I thought I would end up with the C-200 or TM M2 irons from reading reviews here on how good these irons are, but I wanted to keep an open mind.

First thing we did was talk a little about what I wanted and my game. After this he then set out a Ping G iron, Callaway XR, TM M2, AP1, and C-200 after I asked for it. There was also a Mizuno iron that I didn't get which one it was. These were all in 7 iron. The biggest shock for me personally is that I was also fit into regular flex.

During this process he just wanted me to let him know which clubs felt the best for me at the time, before looking at numbers. After this it came down to the XR, AP1, and C-200. I then hit multiple shots with each iron to decide which one I hit better and felt the most comfortable with. To be honest I thought this would be the C-200. It turned out after hitting them that the AP1 actually fit me the best and felt the best. Total surprise as I didn't go in thinking I would end up with a Titleist iron.

We then went into checking lie angles, which I was fit into standard as my swing was actually pretty consistent today. My shots were also very online with this club.

I ended up with the Titleist AP1 5-GW in regular flex with True Temper XP90 R300. I can't wait to get these in a 10 days or so as he had to order them. He gave me a good price trading in my TM Rocketballz as well. My dispersion was much better with the Titleist compared to the TM rocketballz as well.

I was very pleased with my fitting we didn't go exotic in shaft selection, but I was hitting these very consistent and straight.

We also did a driver fitting, and I hit the G30 TFC the best, but decided not to get it today. I want to hit a few more drivers on the course before I pick one.

I had a good day in Iowa City and found out that I didn't need the flex that I always thought I did and ended up with irons that I didn't think I wound get either. Thank you for reading about my fitting day.

I should also put that this goes to what THP has taught me that a fitting can be key. I don't know how these clubs will translate on the course, but having the right equipment and spects can't hurt.

I should also put that this goes to what THP has taught me that a fitting can be key. I don't know how these clubs will translate on the course, but having the right equipment and spects can't hurt.

It sounds like you had a great experience! I think it will translate to better play and more fun on the course. Just be patient if it doesn't happen right away. I had unrealistic expectations after my somewhat recent fitting and didn't hit the new irons well until about the 4th time out. Now I'm loving them and keep looking forward to my next chance to hit them. Let us know how it goes as you get them in play over the coming months.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Always pays to have an open mind, that's for sure. What's better for your own personal game is what's important.

Good luck, I hope you play well with them!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Always pays to have an open mind, that's for sure. What's better for your own personal game is what's important.

An open mind was something I was really trying to go in with. I wanted to see the C-200 or Callaway irons work, but they just didn't. I really never thought I would be a titleist player. I really liked the look of the irons as well.

Great stuff.

I'm doing an iron fitting next Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The AP1 is a great club. Doesn't get nearly enough of the attention it deserves. It's one of those clubs that just seems to fly under the radar quietly getting on with its business without any fuss. My last fitting also ended up with me getting AP1's after having played the AP2 for 6 years.

The AP1 is a great club. Doesn't get nearly enough of the attention it deserves. It's one of those clubs that just seems to fly under the radar quietly getting on with its business without any fuss. My last fitting also ended up with me getting AP1's after having played the AP2 for 6 years.

To be honest I didn't think I would be able to play these clubs. When I hit them I just loved the feel, and then the numbers just turned out this was the best club for me.

Excellent read Woody, thanks for sharing. Congrats on your new irons

Glad you had a good fitting experience. Enjoy the new clubs. :clapp:

Sounds like a good experience. Hit your new clubs well! Be sure to post up some pics :)

Good work on the fitting and having an open mind. Glad u had a good experience, which is not suprising at golfusa.
I got fit recently as well and was kind of shocked about my results. Like you I believe being on thp really was the driving force behind me getting fit and it will really help.
Enjoy your new clubs when they come in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't mind me asking how much does a full fitting like that cost? Do they just take it off the cost if you buy the clubs from them?

Thanks for sharing your fitting experience. I hope you enjoy the new irons and play well. As always, enjoy the game!
Good luck.

I about fell over when I got fitted for my rocketblades when they came out. I was fitted for regular flex. Felt better but I didn't want to admit I needed it. I am at the point I want new clubs. However, we also want to build our house. Getting fit for new clubs might have to wait.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Sounds like you had a really good experience Woody. I like the AP1s a lot; hope you enjoy the new sticks.

If you don't mind me asking how much does a full fitting like that cost? Do they just take it off the cost if you buy the clubs from them?

In my experience, this varies by fitter/store. Locations which focus on fitting are less likely to take the fitting cost off the price of the chosen clubs.

I want to start this with a little about my golf game. I am a high handicapper that can shoot anywhere from low 90's to 110. I have improved my iron play and if I could get off the tee better believe that I could get into the 80's.

I went to Golf USA in Corralville Iowa for my fitting today. They were recognized as a Golf Digest top 100 fitter (not sure on year) at one point. I was actually scheduled with the owner for my fitting. I really liked him as he was very personable and not pushy about any one iron. On my drive I thought I would end up with the C-200 or TM M2 irons from reading reviews here on how good these irons are, but I wanted to keep an open mind.

First thing we did was talk a little about what I wanted and my game. After this he then set out a Ping G iron, Callaway XR, TM M2, AP1, and C-200 after I asked for it. There was also a Mizuno iron that I didn't get which one it was. These were all in 7 iron. The biggest shock for me personally is that I was also fit into regular flex.

During this process he just wanted me to let him know which clubs felt the best for me at the time, before looking at numbers. After this it came down to the XR, AP1, and C-200. I then hit multiple shots with each iron to decide which one I hit better and felt the most comfortable with. To be honest I thought this would be the C-200. It turned out after hitting them that the AP1 actually fit me the best and felt the best. Total surprise as I didn't go in thinking I would end up with a Titleist iron.

We then went into checking lie angles, which I was fit into standard as my swing was actually pretty consistent today. My shots were also very online with this club.

I ended up with the Titleist AP1 5-GW in regular flex with True Temper XP90 R300. I can't wait to get these in a 10 days or so as he had to order them. He gave me a good price trading in my TM Rocketballz as well. My dispersion was much better with the Titleist compared to the TM rocketballz as well.

I was very pleased with my fitting we didn't go exotic in shaft selection, but I was hitting these very consistent and straight.

We also did a driver fitting, and I hit the G30 TFC the best, but decided not to get it today. I want to hit a few more drivers on the course before I pick one.

I had a good day in Iowa City and found out that I didn't need the flex that I always thought I did and ended up with irons that I didn't think I wound get either. Thank you for reading about my fitting day.
Congrats on your fitting. I was fit last year and was also surprised at what I learned about fitting golf clubs. Totally different than what I expected. My clubs being fit has changed my game

My fitting was free, but I have seen them from $150.00 and up. They didn't pressure me on the driver when I told them I wasn't going to buy one today. Main thing was price on it.

I about fell over when I got fitted for my rocketblades when they came out. I was fitted for regular flex. Felt better but I didn't want to admit I needed it. I am at the point I want new clubs. However, we also want to build our house. Getting fit for new clubs might have to wait.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I was surprised when I looked at the shaft and it said regular flex. It did feel a lot better then the stiff I am used to playing. Only being 32 I didn't think I would need regular flex.

Awesome sir! Hope it leads to great golf for you in 2016 and beyond ?

Back