Trying To Break 90 Club

I did it today, probably the earliest I've ever done it playing over 6000 yards, played 6100 today. Shot a 45/41 for an 86, ball striking was really solid today, I did leave some strokes out there around and on the greens. Short game came up short today, I had 36 putts and the chipping wasn't great so I need to work on that. Besides that I'm pretty thrilled with how I played today. Best stat I had today was 67% GIR on the back 9, ended up 44% on the day because I wasn't very good off the tee on the front and put myself in some tough spots, but still not mad about 44% because that's not bad really. I also didn't lose any balls again today, actually retired a ball after 36 holes.

Nice job! Where did you play? Way too windy to play in STL today.

Nice job! Where did you play? Way too windy to play in STL today.

Hickory Ridge Golf Course in Carbondale, IL. It was pretty windy here too, I had a drive on one hole straight into the wind where I can normally end up with a 40 yard or less chip on I was still 105 out after hitting a really solid drive.

As someone that is fairly new to the Breaking 90s club (played the last 9 rounds under 90; try to play the tees closest to 6,400 yards), I'd like to share the one thing that got me from the low/mid 90s into the 80s - stop aiming for the flag stick.

I aim for the center of the green every time now and hit the green a lot more often ... a lot more often. And it is easier to 2 putt for par than trying to chip on and then save par when my aggressive approach shot doesn't hit the green.

Just my .02.

Good Luck!

Steady 20 mph with gusts to 30 here in STL today. No thanks. I hit 6i (my 170y club) off the tee yesterday into a wind gust and only got about 120y out of it.

Steady 20 mph with gusts to 30 here in STL today. No thanks. I hit 6i (my 170y club) off the tee yesterday into a wind gust and only got about 120y out of it.

I had one 8 iron balloon on me and come up pretty short, for the most part I was able to navigate my way around it. It was brutal though.

I had one 8 iron balloon on me and come up pretty short, for the most part I was able to navigate my way around it. It was brutal though.

You inspired me to solider on thru the wind and get in a quick 9, haha.

Shot 45. Very happy with that in this wind. 4 GIRs and hit two more greens only to watch the wind blow the ball off the back.

You inspired me to solider on thru the wind and get in a quick 9, haha.

Shot 45. Very happy with that in this wind. 4 GIRs and hit two more greens only to watch the wind blow the ball off the back.

Nice man, that's a solid 9 in the wind like that! Same score I had on my front 9 and made some adjustments for the back. Gotta get ready for next weekend you know. Gonna try to play a different course the next 2 days and play from 6100-6400 yards to get some different looks.

96 today 50/46. Believe it or not, I played much better on the back 9 but had a blowup hole (7) and a few penalties that resulted in bogeys.

96 today 50/46. Believe it or not, I played much better on the back 9 but had a blowup hole (7) and a few penalties that resulted in bogeys.

The blowup holes are the worst, big numbers are hard to erase when you're playing for pars and bogeys.

94 tonight, I was dripping with sweat, hot and walked it. missed a 12" putt for par, chunked 1 in a bunker, took 2 penalties on par 5's and bogey'd both (1 ball hit the fairway and disappeared WTF, other was unplayable). And my fav par 4 hole I cut the corner on because I can reach the green that route and voila no ball (again WTF) Should have been a 89. The upside side was: here we are in April and we complained 'it's too hot' LOL

Nice man, that's a solid 9 in the wind like that! Same score I had on my front 9 and made some adjustments for the back. Gotta get ready for next weekend you know. Gonna try to play a different course the next 2 days and play from 6100-6400 yards to get some different looks.

I really should just go hit a few buckets of shots under 100y today rather than go play a round... hey why not do both, right?

My pitch shots have all gone to crap in the last 2 weeks here. I'm hitting FWs and doing better with GIRs (hit 4 of 9 yesterday) but hitting too many skulled pitch shots that rocket over the green.

47/41 88 today from 6200 yards, little bit longer than yesterday but it was an easier course and I didn't play near as well as yesterday. Had to scramble a lot today, irons weren't as good as yesterday and I was putting from the fringe and chipping a lot more today. Chipping and putting were better at times but not where I'd like them to be. Pin placement were really tough at the course today, it like they thought they were putting on the Masters or something. There was a ton of tight pins and center pin were right next to tiers.

I also chipped at the tee boxes like you mentioned 5150. I got in a logjam behind a foursome at the turn, they were doing a scramble and could not keep the ball in play. I had a LOT of downtime and it definitely kept me from getting frustrated and helped my short game a bit.

well done!

Set a new PB for my home course yesterday: 85

Felt great playing and the after round beer tasted so sweet, the 3 putt at the end was a 60' that I totally misread the break

Felt great playing and the after round beer tasted so sweet, the 3 putt at the end was a 60' that I totally misread the break
Congrats G3P, that's a great score!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Gograts Gizmo! great round

Congrats on the PB Gizmo, very nice round!

Congrats on the PB!

44 on the front... off to # 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying To Break 90 Club

Bogeys on 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 - hey at least I'm consistent!

Triple on 15. Ugh.

Double on 16. All I need now is birdie/birdie for an 89 :)

Bogeyed 17. Just need a eagle on the 336y uphill upwind par 4 for an 89. It could happen, right?

And bogeyed 18 for a 92. Good round, though.

Last edited:
Bogeys on 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 - hey at least I'm consistent!

Triple on 15. Ugh.

Double on 16. All I need now is birdie/birdie for an 89 :)

Bogeyed 17. Just need a eagle on the 336y uphill upwind par 4 for an 89. It could happen, right?

And bogeyed 18 for a 92. Good round, though.

At least the opportunity was there, good round!

At least the opportunity was there, good round!

It was one of those "wake up, check the weather, I'd better hurry - no time for breakfast" rounds. I gotta stop doing that. I run out of gas on the back.

Back