should push carts be allowed on tour? or also power carts?

should push carts be allowed on tour? or also power carts?

• allow push carts

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • unsure about push carts

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • do not allow push carts

Votes: 35 44.9%
  • allow power carts

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • unsure about power carts

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • do not allow power carts

Votes: 49 62.8%

• Total voters
The surf board carts I could bet behind on the PGA tour.

He'd try to get the PGA tour to let him use the hovercraft.

LOL! I have this mental image of volunteers just running up to him with the "QUIET" signs and waving frantically.

LOL! I have this mental image of volunteers just running up to him with the "QUIET" signs and waving frantically.

I voted yes for push carts and say absolutely not on powered carts. Main reason for voting yes on push carts is it open it up as a field of employment for very capable individuals to perform caddie duties that do not have the physical capabilities to carry a huge staff bag for 18 holes.

It would be interesting to see a caddy pushing a cart up the long staircase behind the 18th green of Riviera:act-up:. Seriously there are many elevated tees that pushing a cart up just wouldn't work. Every Pro wants his caddy and bag on the tee with him so he can make club changes. It wouldn't bother me if caddies used push carts, it just doesn't seem likely to happen. Can you imagine the boon for push cart manufactures though. There would be as many OEM's as club manufactures.

Also I'm surprised no one mentioned that when the senior tour first started, Power carts were allowed for the player, but the caddies still carried the players bag. I don't recall that lasting long, maybe 2 years and then walking became mandatory. I'm not sure why there was a change, but change it did.

Could anyone see a pushcart at a Open Championship? Some of those paths between holes or leading to tee boxes are barely wide enough to walk through at many courses.

I carried my own bag in college and didn't think twice about it. Now I see players pushing their bags around the course. Is this bad? Nice just a sign of the times.

When I caddied I carried the bag over either shoulder. Now caddies have dual straps. It's helped them out. So why would progressing to push carts for caddies make them any less useful. I don't see the change happening but wonder why such a strong stance against by some.

I carried my own bag in college and didn't think twice about it. Now I see players pushing their bags around the course. Is this bad? Nice just a sign of the times.

When I caddied I carried the bag over either shoulder. Now caddies have dual straps. It's helped them out. So why would progressing to push carts for caddies make them any less useful. I don't see the change happening but wonder why such a strong stance against by some.

For me, it's simply a look thing. I understand in NCAA golf. They don't have caddies, the cart allows them to save some energy. I just can't imagine seeing push carts on tv or a caddie walking away after a club decision is made and pushing a cart.

So mine is strictly opinion more so than anything else.

For me, it's simply a look thing. I understand in NCAA golf. They don't have caddies, the cart allows them to save some energy. I just can't imagine seeing push carts on tv or a caddie walking away after a club decision is made and pushing a cart.

So mine is strictly opinion more so than anything else.

Oh I get it, I'm not a fan of the look with college players but it's change.

Hovercraft yes, carts no:D

I see no issue with a push cart but no to powered carts. A good caddie's job is more than simply to carry the bag. I don't see how him pushing a cart would diminish his value.

For the caddy? No. If the player waives use of the caddy then absolutely.

I could take it or leave it with the push carts, but the power carts not a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not allow push carts for the Sherpa er... caddie? Those bags ain't light and it could extend a caddie's career. We're talking about a person's livelihood who doesn't make the millions. This guy ain't in the 1%.

fwiw and according to any history I ever read about, the caddy at first was really one of the role of a servant. In fact they were servants. Golf bags didn't exist and clubs were carried loose bound with rope or whatever. The role of the caddy assisitng the player with info, advice, and working as a team for each shot and overall play only gradually developed to be of that significance later on. It changed because that's what things do, they change.

So that in itself (for those who speak of preserving traditions) went through a change and was no longer the same. I also read an article about St Andrews and how when the first club bags arrived on the scene they were not accepted because (as said in the article) like so many things people simply refused to accept change and so many caddy's still carried the clubs loosely anyway and even says as bags grew further popular that they would even carry the players bag in one hand while holding all the clubs in the other just for sake of refusing change.

So again its really just a matter of accepting change. If traditionalists really wanted tradition then not only should caddy's carry loose clubs without a bag but the caddy himself shouldn't even be assisting the player with decisions, advice, conditions, and reads and all else. They should simply carry clubs without bag, find his ball, offer no performance guidance, and be the servant they originally were. Of course this would be ridiculous and sounds ridiculous right? But that was the original role of the caddy and bags didn't exist. Yet both those things (or traditions) changed and new ones were created.

All tradition starts via change. Any tradition began somewhere at some time via change or invention and its only a tradition until the next change takes place. But of course it usually meets resistance just like the first bags did. So if preserving tradition is your main objective than perhaps you should carry your clubs loosely in a bundle. After all, before bags existed that was the tradition and when bags appeared they refused to accept them because of tradition. But that changed didnt it. Now its a norm and so would push carts be a norm in exctly the same way.

Why not allow push carts for the Sherpa er... caddie? Those bags ain't light and it could extend a caddie's career. We're talking about a person's livelihood who doesn't make the millions. This guy ain't in the 1%.

carrying a a bag didn't shorten fluff's career. He's been on your for 37 years and carried bags for some of the best.

caddy himself shouldn't even be assisting the player with decisions, advice, conditions, and reads and all else. They should simply carry clubs without bag, find his ball, offer no performance guidance, and be the servant they originally were.

All tradition starts via change. Any tradition began somewhere at some time via change or invention and its only a tradition until the next change takes place. But of course it usually meets resistance just like the first bags did. So if preserving tradition is your main objective than perhaps you should carry your clubs loosely in a bundle. After all, before bags existed that was the tradition and when bags appeared they refused to accept them because of tradition. But that changed didnt it. Now its a norm and so would push carts be a norm in exctly the same way.

The help, info, etc a caddie provides to a player is dependent on what the player wants so that is more of a change in player caddie relationship,that just the caddie taking on that role and i would venture to guess it started when a player asked a caddie for some info rather than a caddie saying hey how about this and then another player saw it and started doing it and so on.

In reality there isn't one caddie who has raised this as a concern so to me it's a non issue. Why the attacks on those in the thread who offered their opinion and gave a reason because of tradition? The thread was started to get opinions and people gave them and the majority by a large margin disagree with you on this.

The help, info, etc a caddie provides to a player is dependent on what the player wants so that is more of a change in player caddie relationship,that just the caddie taking on that role and i would venture to guess it started when a player asked a caddie for some info rather than a caddie saying hey how about this and then another player saw it and started doing it and so on.

In reality there isn't one caddie who has raised this as a concern so to me it's a non issue. Why the attacks on those in the thread who offered their opinion and gave a reason because of tradition? The thread was started to get opinions and people gave them and the majority by a large margin disagree with you on this.

"emart2173" I assure you these are not "attacks". My argumentative responses are not done with ill intent as though we would be arguing in an unfriendly way if we were face to face having this conversation. I assure you that's not my demeanor and isn't when I am posting. I don't get why opposing thoughts and/or challenges are often taken as though meant with an ill intent. Just because there are disagreements and even challenge doesn't mean its an attack, unfriendly or disrespectful.
Ever disagree with friends while in a conversation debate about something? That's all it really is similar too imo. Although perhaps a bad example because there are some people who cant do that and still stay friendly..lol .
But really trust me its not an attack. That makes it sound like I am implying anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot and that is the furthest thing from the truth for my point of view.

Now to continue our debates if that's ok..lol
There probably wasn't a caddy who raised a concern when bags were first on the scene either. And in fact (according to the history I read) they refused to accept them even after they arrived as I mentioned before. Yet it still changed regardless. That imo would be very similar to the idea of a pushcart. And besides, how do you or any of us know for certain there are not any caddy's on the entire tour at all who would use one if it was available. For that matter even a player. The majority here isn't a majority at all. To be honest is now about even and never was far from even. Surprised me actually but that's what the poll has shown. That said, we can agree to disagree and leave it at that if you wish but I am finding it a good debate. Either way its a friendly one imo.

Back