The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. As a person going to a completely new swing, I would find that the abrupt change in setup would almost be impossible to recreate the normal swing and create some lag.
I'm completely new to any of this.But if he assures me it will make me a better player than I shall do it.Real difficult now,but I'm sure with more practice it will help

I'm completely new to any of this.But if he assures me it will make me a better player than I shall do it.Real difficult now,but I'm sure with more practice it will help

And how long have you been working with him? Months now, right?

Yep.Just had my twentieth lesson in person

Im not the person to tell you something is wrong, but 20 lessons, and where you said you are, I would at least be looking at options. The only way to know about differences is through experience and seeing those differences. Almost no golfer starts with one teacher and stays forever. Sometimes a second set of eyes is all the difference in the world.

We have heard the shank was correct progress, now switching to a face forward setup for a drill and still pretty much right where you started.

Im not the person to tell you something is wrong, but 20 lessons, and where you said you are, I would at least be looking at options. The only way to know about differences is through experience and seeing those differences. Almost no golfer starts with one teacher and stays forever. Sometimes a second set of eyes is all the difference in the world.

We have heard the shank was correct progress, now switching to a face forward setup for a drill and still pretty much right where you started.
I can't argue what you just posted.But he assured me that I will see some great results if I stick with him for a few seasons.Im thinking I need to analyze my progress mid season.If I'm unhappy than I need to find someone else.Wish this game was an easier hobby

I can't argue what you just posted.But he assured me that I will see some great results if I stick with him for a few seasons.Im thinking I need to analyze my progress mid season.If I'm unhappy than I need to find someone else.Wish this game was an easier hobby

Think of it like this.
If you go to a finance guy that says I am going to show you X returns per year, but you don't get there, you talk to someone else.
If you go to a mechanic who says I can add X speed with some tweaks, but you don't see it, you try someone else.

This is no difference. Of course he is saying stay with him, you are paying him per lesson. And I am not saying to leave him. But seeing someone else just once, as an audition would be a VERY good idea right now. You are 20 lessons in and based on what you have posted, are still struggling with basics and now he is moving you to something that is completely different.

Went out before the CBS coverage today and got some practice in. Working on a grip change - going back to overlap from interlock. Interlock is what I learned with, so it feels "right" to me, but my hands are in a better position if I go overlap and I don't run into the issue of not hinging my wrists, which is one of the flaws I fight.

Hit the ball really well - still fighting a bit of an inside takeaway which leads to blocks and hooks, but with the grip change I feel like I can really just focus on turning back and through the ball instead of worrying about my hands again.

Think of it like this.
If you go to a finance guy that says I am going to show you X returns per year, but you don't get there, you talk to someone else.
If you go to a mechanic who says I can add X speed with some tweaks, but you don't see it, you try someone else.

This is no difference. Of course he is saying stay with him, you are paying him per lesson. And I am not saying to leave him. But seeing someone else just once, as an audition would be a VERY good idea right now. You are 20 lessons in and based on what you have posted, are still struggling with basics and now he is moving you to something that is completely different.
Another good post.Im starting to agree with you.Just hate to give up on everything i learned.If I keep on this struggling road my patience will run out.And i might end up quitting all together.Im going to make some calls and shop around for a second opinion

Another good post.Im starting to agree with you.Just hate to give up on everything i learned.If I keep on this struggling road my patience will run out.And i might end up quitting all together.Im going to make some calls and shop around for a second opinion

You don't have to give up on anything. Like any item you want to get work done (in this case your golf swing), you get multiple estimates. Its all you are doing. Find another teacher, explain to him that you are a brand new golfer, but have taken 20 lessons from someone and would like to get a second opinion because you are not seeing the results as quickly as you expected.

i'd be surprised if you went to somebody else who told you to forget everything you learned. i tend to agree that a new voice may be a way to hit the reset button. the pros do it, and they have access to the best instructors in the world. it's not an indictment of your teacher, maybe it's just not clicking, i know i've been there taking lessons from someone who isn't getting through to me.

i hate the idea of quitting all together. if you can find someone who can click with you, the game just opens up and becomes so fun. good luck my man-

I have been to several instructors to,get that other voice, take on things and none of them have had me abandon what I already had. They worked with my swing and tweaked where necessary. There is nothing wrong with mvong on even if for a few lessons. 20 lessons is a lot to not see big improvements. After that many lessons I woukd expect to be in low-mid 80s at least.

i'd be surprised if you went to somebody else who told you to forget everything you learned. i tend to agree that a new voice may be a way to hit the reset button. the pros do it, and they have access to the best instructors in the world. it's not an indictment of your teacher, maybe it's just not clicking, i know i've been there taking lessons from someone who isn't getting through to me.

i hate the idea of quitting all together. if you can find someone who can click with you, the game just opens up and becomes so fun
. good luck my man-

Totally agree. As stated just above never had someone abandon what I already had even when I first started out and switched to someone a few years lated when taking lesson sporadically.

this is so true.

Great conversation everyone.I need to seriously think about what I'm doing in this game.A change might be a good thing

i was so excited about how well the knee flex worked with my sand wedge that i decided to go back to the range with a 7i and driver. boy did i hit some good shots. it feels so much more stable in the backswing instead of my tendency to fall forward then bring the shank into play. this is something i will be working on.

Told me my hip turn was not syncing with my arms.This drill forces me to sync it up or I will miss the ball competely.Looks awkward and is awkward.He assured me a few weeks of this will get me back to under 100 golf
I honestly don't get this advice at all. Hopefully it works for you though.

Great conversation everyone.I need to seriously think about what I'm doing in this game.A change might be a good thing
How much do you practice away from the lessons? At this point I would consider a change. Now if you are only puting in a few hours of practice a week it will be an uphill battle but I firmly believe anyone with even the slightest amount of hand eye coordination should be sub 90 average after than many lessons. Doesn't hurt to try something else at this point.

I think a change, or consideration is warranted. I got lucky with the one and only time I had an instructor and we clicked with the mind game of golf. Some great feedback has been given to you and it just takes that one lightbulb. Well...many in my case, but step back and enjoy this frustrating ball whacking thing we call a game.

Went to the range after several frustrating rounds. Had a few mind games going away from golf, but was good to get out and focus finally. Adjusted the grip, stance, and arm tension (kill the ball) and all was right in the world. On the range anyway and why can't I do that consistently on the course! Rhetorical

How much do you practice away from the lessons? At this point I would consider a change. Now if you are only puting in a few hours of practice a week it will be an uphill battle but I firmly believe anyone with even the slightest amount of hand eye coordination should be sub 90 average after than many lessons. Doesn't hurt to try something else at this point.
LOL. Only putting in a few hours a week?

How many hours do you suggest he actually put in?

1-2 rounds and 6-8 hours on the range per week is probably the bare minimum if he truly wants to become a decent player.

1-2 rounds and 6-8 hours on the range per week is probably the bare minimum if he truly wants to become a decent player.

That's a lot of golf time for most people and will disagree that it requires that much time. Two years ago I started taking the game more serious and took a handful of lessons and would spend maybe 2 hours a week on the range and played 20ish rounds of golf and dropped my hdcp from high teens to a 10.

I agree time needs to be spent working on and engraining what he he learns from his lessons.

This is over the top unless someone is trying to become a top amateur. At this point, the person is brand new to golf and trying to enjoy the game more. Telling them they need to dedicate up to 18 hours not including the lessons is so much overkill.

I agree, unless the person is single, golf is going to become a problem for his wife very quickly!

Very true. I was saying than in the context of trying to become a good amateur and play tournament. Nothing wrong with just golfing with some friends and drinking some beer. That is my favorite thing about THP, everyone is pretty cool and make for good company on the course.

If someone is trying to just have fun but get better then 1 round a week and maybe 2 hours at the range a week should keep you fresh. I also have no kids/wife so I don't ever have to deal with doing the family thing.

Mostly I was trying give chip some ideas to get better. I would hate to see someone who obv wants to play and take lessons quit because they aren't getting better.

Taking 1 sometimes 2 lessons a week since thanksgiving if possible.Would practice thirty minutes to an hourly nightly in my net.Go to our local park that has a hundred yard empty field and hit eight irons once a week.Play one round weekly on Monday and Tuesday afternoons nine or eighteen.Broke 100 twice with a 97 and 93, which made me feel so happy.Pro told me to play the red tees or tee from the fairway if things go bad.

Taking 1 sometimes 2 lessons a week since thanksgiving if possible.Would practice thirty minutes to an hourly nightly in my net.Go to our local park that has a hundred yard empty field and hit eight irons once a week.Play one round weekly on Monday and Tuesday afternoons nine or eighteen.Broke 100 twice with a 97 and 93, which made me feel so happy.Pro told me to play the red tees or tee from the fairway if things go bad.

have you thought about cutting back on the lessons to one every 2-3 weeks or more so that you can work on the stuff from the lesson during the week and playing your normal number of rounds in there as well?

imo 2 lessons a week doesn't give a persona chance to work on the stuff they learn before having to take in more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back