The Bryson Dechambeau Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
A brand will have to release it, if he turns into what most expect. The issue really is re-education. One of the biggest problems with change (whether good or bad) is the cost to educate. When you break it down, it comes down to that with any consumer device. Cost of acquisition of a consumer and something with major changes, is even more expensive.

What you will find however, is golfers that struggle, flocking to this for a quick fix, because in their mind, they hit a 7 iron really well compared to the rest of their clubs. Its faulty logic, but at the same time sound logic for the individual.

I agree, not everyone would want 6 iron length or 7 iron length etc. I can't even imagine playing a sand wedge of that length.
Personally iron wise the only benefit I see for me would be having 3-7 iron the same length but you can't say until you try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The single length thing has been done before and sold OTR I believe. I would think it's possible to buy a set and have them work, I don't know that they would work well. I would imagine that there are more tweaks need to the players swing mechanics than the equipment, especially if the equipment is designed to be used in a single length set, if it's built with the heads weighted appropriately I think it could work. I still think the average Joe is going to have a hard time getting it to work just because they'll have to make a huge swing change.

I wonder if he's signed with a different clothing company than Puma. Somehow I just can't see him decked out like Fowler. He seems like he would fit better at Ashworth, or Linksoul or Travis Matthew than Puma. I'll be very interested to see.

I already do swing in a very similar fashion, so I am extremely interested in irons like Brysons. If they can solve the distance gapping issues, then I will certainly try a set.

I wouldn't think the concept would be any harder to mass produce than the traditional set or am I missing something?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Interesting tweet from Edel today that a one length fitting system will be coming soon. Is Bryson staying or is Edel going to try to be first to market heavily?

Interesting tweet from Edel today that a one length fitting system will be coming soon. Is Bryson staying or is Edel going to try to be first to market heavily?

The latter.

I wouldn't think the concept would be any harder to mass produce than the traditional set or am I missing something?

My understanding is that the difficulty in making one is modifying the weight of the heads, so I would think heads built to be part of a single length set shouldn't be too hard to manufacture. Unless there are serious changes required based on the golfer. Even then I would think that mass producing something like that would be easier than trying to modify a variable length set.

Distances gapping was the problem when companies tried this before iirc (eql, 1 iron, etc)

Distances gapping was the problem when companies tried this before iirc (eql, 1 iron, etc)
Could you explain? I'm not real knowledgeable on this stuff.

Could you explain? I'm not real knowledgeable on this stuff.

The short irons would go too far, and the long irons too short in comparison to the mid irons. Or if they could get them consistent it was more like 6-7 yds gap between irons. Seems like Bryson and Edel have solved that. I just wonder if they can be commercially viable to make as a production set vs. a one off custom set.

Adding mass under the grip WILL NOT yield a set similarly matched to dechambeau's when installed in a standard set of clubs. Typically the length, lie And club head weight will all need adjustment to yield a single swing through the set.

Unless you are talking about an AM getting his entry to the Monday qualifying by entering pre Monday qualifying. Maybe then you can change your status before you tee off in the actual Monday qualifier.

He would need to declare before entering the Monday event, yes.

The EQLs were a poor attempt at single length, though they sold 50,000+ sets.

1 Iron Golf has approached single length irons with a fitting requirement - which most people need before the system will work for them.

The iron heads I designed had weight ports which allowed you to play them from 6i to 9i length depending on how you weighted them.

We sold several thousand sets, but of course they didn't work for everyone.

Personally, I could not play my short irons at 6i or even 7i length and keep my ball flight reasonable. They did not work well for me. Several customers won their club championship with my irons and knocked several strokes off their handicaps, so they did work for a segment of the population.

Distance gaps between properly fitted irons are not a problem - though the lofts are not the same as with standard irons.

1 Iron Golf has approached single length irons with a fitting requirement - which most people need before the system will work for them.

The iron heads I designed had weight ports which allowed you to play them from 6i to 9i length depending on how you weighted them.

Personally, I could not play my short irons at 6i or even 7i length and keep my ball flight reasonable. They did not work well for me. Several customers won their club championship with my irons and knocked several strokes off their handicaps, so they did work for a segment of the population.

Distance gaps between properly fitted irons are not a problem - though the lofts are not the same as with standard irons.

first, i think this is an awesome post. first-hand knowledge from someone who has built them for many golfers, but still admits that it's not for everyone (including himself).

my question for you is why did it work for some and not for others?

first, i think this is an awesome post. first-hand knowledge from someone who has built them for many golfers, but still admits that it's not for everyone (including himself).

my question for you is why did it work for some and not for others?

Great question.

I think the single plane guys do much better with them, as do slower swing speeds - but probably for different reasons.

If you set the wrists early or have what I would consider an aggressive release, then I would not recommend them.

Fun to experiment though. There are exceptions to every rule in golf equipment .

I still see iMatch SL irons show up on eBay once in a while. These were my heads and though the weights are no longer available, you can adjust the weighting with home made tungsten powder/epoxy blanks.

I can't remember exactly but I thought I remembered weight ports on the back of Bryson's irons. I'm just guessing that's what they are and for swing weight adjustments. I remember an earlier set of his irons and they had lead tape on them and didn't look very clean, the new set looks very nice.

I don't think I'd have a problem with the wedges being longer, the problem I'd have is the irons that the lofts have to be stronger because of the shorter length. I would imagine it would be like trying to hit an old driving iron.

Thanks for the info. I think irons would work great for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I can't remember exactly but I thought I remembered weight ports on the back of Bryson's irons. I'm just guessing that's what they are and for swing weight adjustments. I remember an earlier set of his irons and they had lead tape on them and didn't look very clean, the new set looks very nice.

Large weight ports. It's not just for swing weight, it's to add enough weight to play them anywhere from 38" to 36". He plays his at 37.5".

Believe it or not, many pros have lead tape on their clubs to tweak them.

I don't think I'd have a problem with the wedges being longer, the problem I'd have is the irons that the lofts have to be stronger because of the shorter length. I would imagine it would be like trying to hit an old driving iron.

They are actually stupid easy to hit. Middle of your stance and the same swing with every club.

They are actually stupid easy to hit. Middle of your stance and the same swing with every club.

I can believe it, same ball position and stance sounds great. I was just thinking about what would happen when the face is square on such a strong lofted club. Lots of lateral movement, I'd definitely have to play to a miss on those. I'd love to try them if they come out from an OEM where I could try them out, I am fascinated by them.

I can believe it, same ball position and stance sounds great. I was just thinking about what would happen when the face is square on such a strong lofted club. Lots of lateral movement, I'd definitely have to play to a miss on those. I'd love to try them if they come out from an OEM where I could try them out, I am fascinated by them.
You and me both. Great posts in here with lots of info...much appreciated.

Huge congrats to Bryson for being the low amateur! I can see him having a great career.

Step 1 is winning enough money in his 8(7?) sponsor exemptions so he doesn't have to go through q school then web.com tour.

listening to his press conference at the rbc heritage and he's unsurprisingly gone pro.
But I wasn't sure if I heard a sponsor announcement or is that not common at this time since its so early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back