For beginners: spiked vs spikeless shoes

Honestly, I think it depends on your type of play. I consider myself more of a power type player and spiked shoes are a must for me. I have a pair of spikeless shoes I wore once and it looked like I was cutting a rug on every shot, my feet were slip sliding all over the place. So my advice would be to pay attention to your swing. Do you feel like you have a lot of power? Do your feet tend to move anytime during your swing? I think you should try to find what is best for you based on how you play.

Honestly, I think it depends on your type of play. I consider myself more of a power type player and spiked shoes are a must for me. I have a pair of spikeless shoes I wore once and it looked like I was cutting a rug on every shot, my feet were slip sliding all over the place. So my advice would be to pay attention to your swing. Do you feel like you have a lot of power? Do your feet tend to move anytime during your swing? I think you should try to find what is best for you based on how you play.

I guess I don’t really know what kind of power I have. I’ve been playing for about 2 months now. I can drive the ball around 200 yards 75% of the time lol.

I will never wear spike less unless they stop making spikes!!!

I don't believe spikeless shoes are safe for any player, beginner or otherwise.

Haha, what? I haven't heard of all these golfer injuries caused by "unsafe" spikeless shoes.

I have both spiked and spikeless. Spikeless one I wear most of the time here in SoCal and I used spiked when I play early morning when It's kinda wet and muddy. Definitely spiked when raining or just after it rains. BTW, there are always sales going on so you almost never have to pay full price for golf shoes.

Haha, what? I haven't heard of all these golfer injuries caused by "unsafe" spikeless shoes.

If spikeless shoes are unsafe I can't imagine what that means for my one buddy who likes to play barefoot or in flip flops for a majority of his rounds. I better alert him.

Wet or hilly course - spiked. Dry relatively flat course - spike-less

Whatever you like the looks of and find comfortable.

I used to swear by soft spiked only after trying a terrible pair of spikeless (Ashworth Cardiffs), but eventually tried higher quality spikeless and that's all I've worn for the past 2-3 years.

I will throw you a curveball, especially as someone just starting out.

My partners and I have all forgotten our shoes at one time or another. Counter-intuitively, we tend to score as well or, often, better even wearing tennis shoes. A lot of it is we dial back our swings and end up hitting in a nice smooth rhythm. Note that I am not advocating this long term but learning the game...shoes might be overrated...

I wear spikeless at least 95% of my rounds and do not notice a real difference from spiked. The only times I consider wearing spiked is on the very rare occasion when I ride in a cart. When my only pair of spiked wear out, I will not buy another pair and just stick to spikeless for all rounds.

Id go spikeless. Theres no maintenance and you dont NEED true spikes anyways. A purist would say that unless you are going to have metal spikes, its a waste of time anyways.

Has anyone ever had a pair of under armour spikes?

I have a pair of Spieth 2's and really liked them for what they were, which is a very sturdy, stiff shoe with a lot of support. Due to an injury to my foot last year though wearing them is no longer an option as they aren't wide enough.

FWIW I can slip wearing spiked or spikeless, and think whatever gap used to exist between the two has been narrowed significantly. I wouldn't hesitate to wear either if they were comfortable and I liked the looks.

If spikeless shoes are unsafe I can't imagine what that means for my one buddy who likes to play barefoot or in flip flops for a majority of his rounds. I better alert him.

What?? Let's get these hippies out of NJ. :bicker:

I have a couple pairs of spikes that I need to break in so that I can walk in them, but I love spikeless when I walk (probably more a function of the collar in the rear) and I've never had an issue slipping in spikeless.

What?? Let's get these hippies out of NJ. :bicker:

I have a couple pairs of spikes that I need to break in so that I can walk in them, but I love spikeless when I walk (probably more a function of the collar in the rear) and I've never had an issue slipping in spikeless.

Hey, I may resemble that! I practice barefoot occasionally. Also was a hippie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go spikeless. Most you can go home to the course and back without taking off.

I will throw you a curveball, especially as someone just starting out.

My partners and I have all forgotten our shoes at one time or another. Counter-intuitively, we tend to score as well or, often, better even wearing tennis shoes. A lot of it is we dial back our swings and end up hitting in a nice smooth rhythm. Note that I am not advocating this long term but learning the game...shoes might be overrated...

When its a dry afternoon or dry after work round I will play in my running shoes. Wet or early morning dew I play in my waterproof spikeless.

I usually play in spikeless Puma's and don't have many issues. But if I know there will be any moisture I will go with some Adidas spiked shoes. What I have is similar to these Adipower Boost ones on Amazon, just an older model.

If raining, spiked - every other time, spikeless.

The Footjoy Pro SL, after broken in are amazing.

Spikeless unless it's a sloppy track, and not because I'm worried that I will lose my footing, but moreso because my spikeless are mesh and the spiked are water tight (for now)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back