For beginners: spiked vs spikeless shoes

swove

Reaction score
Handicap
Im a beginner and I’m looking to invest in a good pair of golf shoes.

In your opinion as a beginner can you notice a big difference between the two? Why or why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As a newer player who has a pair of each, I don't notice a huge difference between them. I more so notice the comfort of the two pairs of shoes I have, and that one pair is "waterproof" and one is not which leads to much more comfort if there is dew on the course or when walking on a damp day. For me it's my spikeless pair that are "waterproof" and overall I find them more comfortable to wear.

I would recommend just getting a nice comfortable pair and don't worry too much about if they are spiked or spikeless.

The spikeless pair I grabbed near the end of last season are the Puma Grip Fusion spikeless for $90 CAD and I am very please with them especially for the price, fit is as I would expect for an athletic shoe.

In general I can only tell a difference in the worst of worst conditions where a spikeless gets clogged up a little easier

I wear mostly spikeless, but I definitely prefer spiked when it's wet out. Either way, waterproof is a must--for me, at least.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I wear mostly spikeless and have no issues.

Honestly as long as the spikeless has a big enough spike pattern to it I don't think it would make a difference, comfort/style much more over function in a shoe for sure.

I wear mostly spikeless, but I definitely prefer spiked when it's wet out. Either way, waterproof is a must--for me, at least.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Agree 100% I have both and decide which to wear depending on the grass conditions. If wet wear spikes.

Addidas Boost shoes are awesome and I love the BOA

As a newer player who has a pair of each, I don't notice a huge difference between them. I more so notice the comfort of the two pairs of shoes I have, and that one pair is "waterproof" and one is not which leads to much more comfort if there is dew on the course or when walking on a damp day. For me it's my spikeless pair that are "waterproof" and overall I find them more comfortable to wear.

I would recommend just getting a nice comfortable pair and don't worry too much about if they are spiked or spikeless.

The spikeless pair I grabbed near the end of last season are the Puma Grip Fusion spikeless for $90 CAD and I am very please with them especially for the price, fit is as I would expect for an athletic shoe.

I think they all offer nice traction and you are a new golfer so you're not already used to one or the other, but I echo Brett here, the most important thing is waterproofing. Wet dewy mornings, a puddle in a low spot, an afternoon popup shower, etc. There are lots of opportunity to get wet feet and I freaking hate wet feet so waterproofing is super important to me.

Second most important thing is walking comfortability. Even if you ride in a cart you will walk a lot so they better be comfy.

Spikes all day. Tried spikeless once and after 1 round never used them again.

I like spikes to dig in, get a solid base, no worry or thought of slipping. Can't ask for much more than that. And all golf shoes these days are comfortable.

If I normally played in an area where the usual weather was wet and especially if it was a wet climate and a hilly course I'd probably use spiked shoes. Standing on a sidehill lie on wet grass while swinging can be difficult so I'd want all the help I could get. Or walking up and down steep hills with wet grass, same thing.

But I play on flattish courses and prefer to play in the afternoons when it's fairly dry. So I totally go with spikeless for comfort and never have any problems with slipping.

Spikes all day. Tried spikeless once and after 1 round never used them again.

I like spikes to dig in, get a solid base, no worry or thought of slipping. Can't ask for much more than that. And all golf shoes these days are comfortable.

Same. I have one round on a pair Nike Roshes. My right foot slipped a couple of times on tee shots. And that was that.

Spiked for me, just feel more planted .. I wear spineless to the range though

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Same. I have one round on a pair Nike Roshes. My right foot slipped a couple of times on tee shots. And that was that.
Funny, I got the Roshe's in Spikes around January and absolutely love them. I just saw Dick's marked them down from $109 to $89. Got an extra 20% off coupon so I'll grab the olive color with the black Nike check next. Currently have the Black on Black.

Funny, I got the Roshe's in Spikes around January and absolutely love them. I just saw Dick's marked them down from $109 to $89. Got an extra 20% off coupon so I'll grab the olive color with the black Nike check next. Currently have the Black on Black.

I saw those but don't need another pair of golf shoes. Ducks. The Roshes are almost as comfortable as the Puma pwradapts. As the summer goes, I may wear them when all I'm doing is working putting or short game.

Has anyone ever had a pair of under armour spikes?

Have and had both. The only time I really feel the need for spikes is in wet weather, which we get a lot of here.

As far as "feeling planted", I mean guys like DJ wear spikeless shoes and swing a lot harder and quicker than any of us will dream of.

Have and had both. The only time I really feel the need for spikes is in wet weather, which we get a lot of here.

As far as "feeling planted", I mean guys like DJ wear spikeless shoes and swing a lot harder and quicker than any of us will dream of.

He also has better footwork and balance in his swing.

Advantages to being an old, fat guy who can't hit the ball very far:

1) Gaps between clubs are almost non-existent
2) Never have to lay up on a Par 4 tee shot
3) Never have to make a decision about going for a Par 5 green in two
4) CAN WEAR COMFY, SPIKELESS SHOES AND STILL SWING AS HARD AS I LIKE

Yep, must be tough having 100mph+ of swing speed. I am sooooo glad I don't suffer from that curse.

I don't believe spikeless shoes are safe for any player, beginner or otherwise.

You wanna talk unsafe, how about those old metal spikes?

I played my junior golf and 10 more years wearing metal spikes. Don't recall ever seeing or hearing about any injuries. I believe it was easier to make swings wearing metal spikes, and I think they helped constantly aerate greens as well. But once golf course operators learned that annual maintenance costs would decrease with a "no spikes policy", metal spikes were outlawed.

I see no difference in grip between the spiked and spikeless shoes I use - the quality of spikeless shoes has gotten way better over the years, and there have been more guys on tour wearing the spikeless models. I've slipped in the same conditions in spiked or spikeless shoes - usually sidehill in wet rough.

I'd say wear whatever shoes feel comfortable to you. Tired feet aren't going to make for a good round of golf.

I used to be only spikeless, now I have switched to only spiked.

Why?

I feel like I have better stability in spikes, and am able to complete a full turn better in spikes.

Just my preference. And nothing sucks more than wiping out in the wet in a pair of spikeless.

Back