Oban Hashimoto - Review Thread

Ill be putting the Hashimoto in play saturday for some unexpected outdoor golf! Looking forward to bringing back some thoughts to this thread

I played 30 holes with the Hashimoto last week and had some quick feedback.

It feels superb, responsive while maintaining a very controlled feel. Coming from the LZ Handcrafted it feels more stable in the midsection as it should. I dont get any loss of control. From a tip and a feel at impact it feels good. Ballflight is much more direct and piercing, but it climbs to apex well. I was getting much better dispersion but I am not ready to credit that to the shaft yet as I had just had a lesson and was working on ballflight.

It's firmly in the bag for now thanks to Harvmp28 and look forward to more reps with it and some actual comparison against my HZRDUS.
Looking forward to the comparisons to the hzrdus

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to the comparisons to the hzrdus

HZRDUS, in my experience, is way more "stable" feeling through transition as well as being lower spin and launch (hzrdus black). The hashimoto on the other hand has a but more lively sensation through the swing and is just really s. Ooh through its kick, higher launching and on my monitor was a good but higher spinning for me.

Both really good options, but to me, both definitely do different things better than the counterpart.

So I hit the gbb 10.5* with the speeder 665 shaft in the stiff. This is what I got:

bdf155fc3fb54b37282317a1fc96eeee.jpg

From what I read about the 665 speeder shaft, its a mid launch and mid spin shaft. The Hasimoto shaft is supposed to be higher launching and low spin correct?

Seems like this would be a good fit for my swing, no?

So I hit the gbb 10.5* with the speeder 665 shaft in the stiff. This is what I got:

bdf155fc3fb54b37282317a1fc96eeee.jpg

From what I read about the 665 speeder shaft, its a mid launch and mid spin shaft. The Hasimoto shaft is supposed to be higher launching and low spin correct?

Seems like this would be a good fit for my swing, no?

Oban website http://www.obanshafts.com/woods/limited-edition-hashimoto/
indicates the R flex at 55gr is high launch mid spin. The S & X flexes at 65gr are mid launch low spin. But that may be comparing apples to oranges with different manufacturers.

The Hashimoto was in the bag for the first time today, for my first round of the year. Right now it's in a 2014 Big Bertha head, but it will find its way into a GBB head shortly.

The shaft I've been able to get my hands on (thanks fupresti!) is a 55g 03 (regular) flex. In hands, it feels pretty loose, but I'm guessing that's more because it's got a relatively active tip section. Through the swing it actually felt really stable. Other than my very first swing with the club, which was a drop kick into the woods, I really don't think I've had a better driving day than I did with this setup today. Long, high, and straight. Especially given the fact that it was my first time with the club/shaft combo, and my first time out on a course in months.

My swing tops out around 100, but I'm relatively smooth at the top when I'm swinging how I should. This shaft had no problems standing up to that swing. I had originally played the Fubuki Z in R in this head, and the Hashimoto is definitely more stable than that shaft. It was very windy today, and for the most part the ball held its line quite well, so I don't think I was overspinning the ball. It will be interesting to see the numbers when I get on the monitor during my next lesson.

To follow up on Matt's post - we all took turns with that driver, and we all saw good to great shots with it. I've been playing 12* driver heads for a while now, so my ballflight was lower than I normally would see and I hit a bit of a pull but boy the shaft reacted wonderfully. Felt so smooth, and he was just murdering the ball all day with that combo.

The Hashimoto is in the driver and will be in play tomorrow. I'll post a few thoughts during the round and then be able to elaborate more after the round but I'm really excited to have it out there tomorrow

The Hashimoto is in the driver and will be in play tomorrow. I'll post a few thoughts during the round and then be able to elaborate more after the round but I'm really excited to have it out there tomorrow

I adore mine with my 816 DBD. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Weather conditions were awful for testing a driver shaft. Constant wind in the 20s with gusts of 40-50. The Hashimoto is giving me a feeling that it may be a touch too much spin for me but today was just difficult to really tell anything

Yesterday I had the Hashimoto in play. I only hit driver 7 times but I hit fairways with 5 of those drives. I can't figure out if I'm just over swinging and need to tone it down a bit but on the range I was noticing I was late at impact. Out on the course I really focused on having a controlled swing and it was much better. The feel is just unique to every other driver shaft I've experienced in a good way. I can feel a load and kick at impact. I think the Rogue I/O is the overall better fit to me in terms of spin and carry but the Oban is a really fun option to have. I'm looking forward to summer and when the conditions dry up a bit and see what total distance I'm getting

Man I hit this thing so so well today. I can only recall one bad drive I hit, and I feel super confident just being able to go at it full bore

Man I hit this thing so so well today. I can only recall one bad drive I hit, and I feel super confident just being able to go at it full bore

How do you see the spin being compared to the Rogue?

Yesterday I had the Hashimoto in play. I only hit driver 7 times but I hit fairways with 5 of those drives. I can't figure out if I'm just over swinging and need to tone it down a bit but on the range I was noticing I was late at impact. Out on the course I really focused on having a controlled swing and it was much better. The feel is just unique to every other driver shaft I've experienced in a good way. I can feel a load and kick at impact. I think the Rogue I/O is the overall better fit to me in terms of spin and carry but the Oban is a really fun option to have. I'm looking forward to summer and when the conditions dry up a bit and see what total distance I'm getting

It's that subtle kick at Impact I love. I've traditionally stayed away from Oban shafts bc they were too stout for me, but this one fits me so well. I'm not sure what my spin numbers are, but I know based on play that my carry is better and overall distance is longer. I know the head has a ton to do with that, but this shaft works for me.

I've had several 100+mph swing speed players takes rips with my set and they said the same thing. You feel like you can get after it with this one.

Was fun watching. You pounded some drives. Pretty draw on a few.

You hit some great drives with it today. Especially the one on 17 where you carried that trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you see the spin being compared to the Rogue?

I think the spin is a little lower. Higher launch than the Rogue too which helps since I have a tendency to hit a bit of a low ball

Maybe it's just mental for me lol I think I'm the only one seeing more spin. Maybe my swing is just junk too

Maybe it's just mental for me lol I think I'm the only one seeing more spin. Maybe my swing is just junk too

Let me tell you something.. Your swing isn't garbage at all.

You aren't, I saw the same thing compared to my Rogue. Hence why it has been cemented in the bag after some time with this.

I now have the Hashimoto 65 04 in my BBA 815. The stunning black shaft makes a lovely combo with the 815 head. This is my first non-stock shaft in any club. Can't wait to put swings to golf balls with this combo today.

On my way to the range now for "lunch" and will be trying to get this thing figured out with my driver. Thoughts to come later

On my way to the range now for "lunch" and will be trying to get this thing figured out with my driver. Thoughts to come later

I look forward to your feedback. I hit this for the first time yesterday. I wasn't quite sure what to think. It felt both solid and loose at the same time. I struggled a bit both left and right. My swing was also in meltdown mode, so hard to clearly sort out the shaft. Solid strikes were long, that was clear. I will hit some more sometime today.

Based on my time with the shaft, it doesn't surprise me that guys who were fit into the Rogue aren't having the most success with the Hashimoto. One shaft pairing I've had a lot of success with in the head I've been using the Hashimoto in was the stock Fubuki. The Hashimoto (at least in the R flex I have) seems to be more along those lines, though it holds up better to a really aggressive swing when I put one on it. I know the literature has the shaft listed as mid-launch, low-spin, but as was discussed on THP Radio, I think "low" is relative.

I'll be putting this in the XR16 head when it gets in and report back.

Ok just got back from the range. I hit about 20 iron shots to warm up and then made my way up the bag. When i got to driver i kept it set at what it was set for during my fitting. 8* Draw bias. The first handful of swings felt awful and i was missing all over the face. So now i know that not only am i trying to figure out a completely different shaft, my swing is in shambles. I took the loft up to 9* and started seeing a lot of improvement in dispersion. I was still missing high and to the toe side every now and then but even there it didnt kill me. I started going through a routine like i would on the course and saw some of my best results with the Hashimoto I've ever seen. Still not as consistent as my Rogue, but close. Close enough that i will keep this set up for now and see how it goes on the course.

Back