Urethane Ball Durability

• Total voters

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
I am interested to know your thoughts regarding durability of urethane golf balls. How long do you expect a ball to last to be a good value? And do you notice some brands are more or less durable than others... favorites or those you shy away from? What about trends in cast vs. injection molded covers - is there anything to it?

I've included a poll where you can vote for the OEM you believe makes the most durable urethane ball.

Thanks!

Entire reason I’m a Srixon loyalist is durability. When I started playing regularly cost was a huge issue. I would tear up a Titleist, Callaway or Bridgestone with one solid wedge shot. I once played 8 rounds with a ZStar yellow with no noticeable marks. I know a Titleist has gotten better at durability for sure. But by now I’m pretty loyal. My srixons get lost long before they wear out.

I love playing Callaway Chromesoft X but I was going through 2 balls per round as they were getting scuffed, cut up very quickly. Switched to another manufacturer and no issues. I figure I must have gotten a bad batch, i’ll give them another shot once my supply dwindles.

I love playing Callaway Chromesoft X but I was going through 2 balls per round as they were getting scuffed, cut up very quickly. Switched to another manufacturer and no issues. I figure I must have gotten a bad batch, i’ll give them another shot once my supply dwindles.

I love the Callaway balls. Performance wise if I were rich I’d give serious consideration to them as my permanent ball. But every cally ball I’ve ever played has the scuffing issue. I think it’s their urethane formulation.

Side note: I was chatting with a material scientist who works with graphene. He said if their scientists are good and have spent the R&D budget, graphene in their urethane could absolutely increase the durability by up to 100%. If they just put graphite in a high tech blender and mixed it in with their urethane it does absolutely nothing.

Back