The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
60 minutes of pre lesson range time mostly AW.PW.7I. Got those going pretty well. Tried 6I.5I.4H and driver and things got a little squirrely. Lesson in 15

I'm working on pitching wedge from 110 to about 85 and AW from there to about 30. It's starting to come around.

Are you using a system (clock, measured choke down) or relying on feel to dial in the distances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do work, maybe time to resurrect your shape up thread?

Or a new one coming up soon. Probably right after Club Clash.

60 minutes of pre lesson range time mostly AW.PW.7I. Got those going pretty well. Tried 6I.5I.4H and driver and things got a little squirrely. Lesson in 15

Is the path changing? At least in terms of what you notice?

Are you using a system (clock, measured choke down) or relying on feel to dial in the distances?

No sir, I use feel for the distances, but with a little practice, it becomes like anything else in terms of finding and knowing distances.

Worked on putting and chipping over lunch. I feel like I am making progress, but who knows if it will translate to actual play. Letting my putting stroke flow more naturally is helping. I have a lot of room for improvement in reading greens. I need to spend more time looking at greens from multiple scales. For chipping I continue to work with different wedges and shots (low, high, spin, release). Relaxing my hands and letting the club head feel like it is falling from gravity is helping with consistency and touch. Incremental progress, I hope.

I need to work more with pitching. I am striking the ball OK but distance control is still a work in progress. I do better on the range than while playing. Context is a badass in golf.

Are you working a plan in prep for #TheCup, Mike?

Or a new one coming up soon. Probably right after Club Clash.

Is the path changing? At least in terms of what you notice?

No sir, I use feel for the distances, but with a little practice, it becomes like anything else in terms of finding and knowing distances.

After a few back and fourths. I was at the range. PW AT 100 is money. Almost to easy. I'm throwing that shot straight in the bag.

Hit 2 buckets at the range tonight, off of grass thankfully. Started with some wedges to 2 targets then went through all my irons. Sun glare was an issue so I left the driver in the bag, I wouldn't have seen where it was going, anyways.

I'm still struggling with my 4h. I think I've lost count of the different models I've tried at this point, I just can't hit it. But I can hit my 5i OK. Not good, but OK.

Irons were better than yesterday, that's for sure. I lost some right but I know why. When I take my time and make 2-3 practice swings feeling the weight shift and making sure I turn my hip, I hit irons well. When I hit ball after ball, forget it. I'm still trying to find that right feel that makes everything I'm working on from lessons all click at the same time. I did end with some spot-on 9 irons, which made me feel really good.

Snuck out for a small bucket to work on the driver. Felt good to get some swings in and working on getting downswing started by the hips and correct swing path vs over the topish.

Better instructor then the last one?
Night and day this dude is legit. Dumbs it down and is working with me rather than a checklist of 48 swing thoughts

Night and day this dude is legit. Dumba it down and is working with me rather than a checklist of 48 swing thoughts

Great to hear. I better get that callout in soon.

Night and day this dude is legit. Dumba it down and is working with me rather than a checklist of 48 swing thoughts
I love hearing this.

Check out the lesson thread in about an hour gonna put a recap in there

Had a pretty quick range session this evening. Just working on tempo as I felt myself getting pretty quick while playing yesterday. Had a pretty good session hoping to get in a little longer one tomorrow

Had a long range session today to work on several things. Wanted to work on my swing with irons to make sure I was getting extension after contact and not cutting off my swing like i have has pop up periodically. Also wanted to work on swinging all clubs like my 7i. Lastly wanted to,spend a good amount of time with my wedges hitting them to a few shirt flags or baskets.

overall I was satisfied with the results today and my wedge shots from 45-65 yds was starting to come around and with the Keegan Bradley tip and another from one of the videos posted in a thread about the hop n stop shot the wedge contact was so much more solid than it has been and had a pretty consistent flight and was landing lots of balls close to the same spot.

irons and woods felt solid. Had some shaky swings with the woods but I knew what I was doing wrong and as I started focusing on swinging it like my irons things started to come back around.

Lots of work today working on my pitching wedge , which is 115 max. I was able to improve my accuracy when I hit it full but partial shots are a work in progress. Knock downs were reasonable! More work on Thursaday!

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Started out a good range day. I always start with 5 iron and work my way to driver. Played a game where I use the range as a course and hit different shots. About 3/4 the way through the bucket I started hitting bad. Usually happens. I'm assuming I'm getting fatigued and haven't developed enough muscle memory to keep hitting good shots. Tomorrow will be a little bit of range time and then chipping practice.

Did my side saddle drill for an hour today and hit one clunker after another.Just a terrible couple of sessions in a row.Strangely i do so well when my pro watches and encourages me on.I know I can do this,but setbacks like this are so discouraging.If I played today I'm sure my score would've been 110 or higher.Giving up isn't in my wheel house,but this was real real bad

cant wait for my next lessons.He is one of the best and I know he can get me on the right path

Still working hard on my game inside of 125, and Im really starting to see some on course results. My confidence with these shots Im learning is growing with each range session. Add in the fact that Im going out of my way to NOT work on my swing and think about it on the course.

Im learning to hit a shot for the situation, not hit a club to a distance.

This could be a really big step forward for me

Today I was able to get a little bit of practice in. Decided to work on half shots and flighted shots from 50-85 yards. I am one that would prefer not to use my wedges for full swings if I can avoid it, because I believe they bring more trouble and less forgiveness than I am looking for. So I have been working on a flighted PW and and really dialing it in through trajectory and spin control.

Today I set balls up at 57 and 77 yards (happen to be marks there) and worked on both. What I found is that I can play them with clean contact and generate a ton of spin to take the hop and stop on a dime. Going to continue to work on this through out the summer and move away from a necessity to take any full swings with my wedges.
I love this. Its essentially the same thing im working on, although Im wanting to avoid taking full swings with my irons as well. It has been pretty successful through my 7 iron so far. Hit or miss on longer clubs but I just need more work there I think

I just had my second session of the year, hit another 50 balls.
I have to say, I must be re-experiencing beginner's luck. I've never been able to hit my 4/5 irons, but I was hitting my 5 iron very cleanly tonight and was sending balls to proper distances and in-line with what i wanted. So I decided to test my luck and pulled out my driver and same thing. I don't know what I was doing differently but it just worked tonight... of course there was the odd banana but on average, I've never hit so many straight, long balls with my driver before. It was even making a proper impact noise that I had only heard once in a blue moon before.
I guess it is the indian, not the arrow in this case... no $500 driver/new irons for me this year!

Came to the quick realization today on the range that I don't enjoy hitting ball after ball on the range anymore. Would far rather spend my time at the short game, putting green, and hitting wedge on the green.

Trying out four driver shafts over the course of a large bucket quickly had me running out of patience. I'll only ever hit a max of something like 15 drivers during a round, but irons and short game I will end up hitting much more. That is where my efforts need to be focussed.

Thanks to Panda for the tip earlier today. I hit the Driver much better focusing on the club head toe up on the takeaway. I didn't hit one left either which is a good thing.

After 3 bad sessions in a row I'm more than convinced now I need to up my frequency of golf lessons.Im thinking that every time i consider going to the range I should have my pro right next to me.Im to inexperienced to hit a bucket of balls without having him observe me every swing.Going to really push to improve at this game the next few seasons.If it doesn't happen than I will most likely give up this hobby and do something else.Im the type of individual that it is all or nothing.If I give golf my full attention and try my best and fail to succeed than I'm done with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back