older set of clubs for my high schooler wanting to take up golf?

Partagas

Reaction score
Handicap
I am a casual recreational golfer that has yet to break 100 but am getting close lately. I picked up a set of big bertha irons and a nike driver and hybrid woods on ebay a few years ago as a complete package. I scored a really good deal with the bag, white hot saber tooth putter, etc. I am hoping to do the same for my 17 year old son. He may join the golf team but his time is pretty busy with legion baseball and fishing as well.

I found a few similar packages on ebay with ones I am considering now TM RAC with R7 drivers, or a TM original burner set with the TM Burner driver and woods as well. One of the sets with original burner irons the irons are still in plastic and haven't been hit. I found a ping eye2 set with a burner driver for $180 with the bag etc. I have also been considering the Callaway x-14 or 18's that I can find a iron set with a bag but no driver or putter for $210 shipped.

Thoughts on any of these models? Should I be looking for a little newer set of irons? I am just trying to get him started and see if he sticks with it. He has gone a handful of times using my clubs. I am not a latest and greatest kind of person so if there hasn't been technology increases in recent years I don't see a big benefit until getting serious about it. Should I just pick one and run with it and am overthinking it?

I live in a pretty rural place so there isn't a lot available on local classifieds etc.

If he's just feeling out the sport, the X-14s or 18s should be fine. There have been several advances in technology beyond those sets but I wouldn't make a large investment in clubs until you find out if he's going to stick with it, TBH.

Edit: if you keep looking you can find way newer iron sets in that price range on ebay. $210.00 is a little steep for irons that old, IMHO.

Check out Craigslist also. I found a set of X20s for my son with TM driver and 3w locally for 200 all in.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am using 10-12 year old big bertha irons. I am not sure if those are SGI or GI or if that is a blurry line. I could also hand those off to him and get myself a set. I would assume the same GI clubs would work for meor may be better suited to me? I will keep looking.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am using 10-12 year old big bertha irons. I am not sure if those are SGI or GI or if that is a blurry line. I could also hand those off to him and get myself a set. I would assume the same GI clubs would work for meor may be better suited to me? I will keep looking.

If you know you're going to keep playing but he's on the fence, I'd pass down the Berthas and get yourself a newer set. If he sticks with it, then cross that bridge when you get there, IMHO.

Those Berthas are just fine for a beginner.

Back