Oahu Golf - Recommendations, and Is Reasonable Even Possible?

Played there last week, playing there on Tuesday. Since we are very dry out here carts are allowed on all holes, except the par 3's. I'll post some pics in the course pic thread. They have the best set of par 3's on the island.

It's a short course. Blues are 6200, but plays around 6500.

Ewa beach golf club is located in the ewa plain along with hawaii prince and a few others. 30 min drive from Waikiki. Fairways are like Berber carpet, rough is thick. And two of the island best short par 4's. Both are 260 with nothing but trouble 30 yards in. Great risk/reward holes. Greens and tees box show no signs of where, even on the par 3's. Sand is fluffy. I'll post pics.

If you need a playing partner, let me know. I'm always looking for any excuse to play golf.

If you need a playing partner, let me know. I'm always looking for any excuse to play golf.
I may just do that! Need to figure out which days I'm playing though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I may just do that! Need to figure out which days I'm playing though.

Let me know. I'm pretty much open any day except Sunday.

So thanks to all who provided advice in here. Just made a tee time at Royal Hawaiian this Tuesday for 85 bucks. They aerated last week but I really badly want to play it anyways so we're taking the discount and running. Views look incredible, so the fiance is riding along!

Also playing Friday morning early while the fiance does her own thing and sleeps in, but debating between Pearl CC, Ewa Beach, and Prince. Any thoughts?

Also, Breaking79 you are more than welcome to join me wherever I book Friday morning!

Ok I went with Ewa Beach based on all the reco's. So Tuesday at 11:10am at Royal Hawaiian, and Friday at 7:32am at Ewa Beach. Freakin stoked!

If any Honolulu area THPers want to join me, let me know!

Ok I went with Ewa Beach based on all the reco's. So Tuesday at 11:10am at Royal Hawaiian, and Friday at 7:32am at Ewa Beach. Freakin stoked!

I can play both days. Was planning on playing Tuesday anyway. Let me know and I'll add my name to your tee time
FYI no range at ewa. Thou they do have 100 yards chipping area.
$85 is a great rate for RH. Usually it's in the $125 range if not more. Pretty decent greens keeper at RH. It will have been two weeks. Greens might be in good shape.

I can play both days. Was planning on playing Tuesday anyway. Let me know and I'll add my name to your tee time
More than welcome my friend. Fair warning for Tuesday, RH aerated last week so it may be a touch rough on the greens...but it's also heavily discounted.

It will be two weeks since aeration. Won't be to bad. They have platinum seashore papsulum grass. These recover quickly from areation.

Ok, I'm with ya both days. If you need anything let me know.

Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you. Just got to Honolulu, woo!

A must is Royal Hawaiian in Kailua. Light years ahead of koolau. RH just reopened with new greens practice facility. Unlimited range balls sand and grass chipping and two practice greens. Front nine is a jungle back nine is on a mountain. They treat you well.

Koolau has just gone down hill so fast in the last 6 months. Closed holes, no sand in bunkers.

That's a real shame about Koolau. I loved the course when I played it and it was in fantastic shape. When I played Royal Hawaiian, they were just starting some of the renovations, one of the holes was closed so we got the pond hole but since they have 19 holes it worked out, but the course was still fantastic.

Skibum, hope you have a good time.

Ewa Beach course was pretty nice when I played it. I do think it was better than the Prince course. I don't remember the views being anything of significance, but you are playing golf in Hawaii and that trumps anything.

Have a fantastic time!

That's a real shame about Koolau. I loved the course when I played it and it was in fantastic shape. When I played Royal Hawaiian, they were just starting some of the renovations, one of the holes was closed so we got the pond hole but since they have 19 holes it worked out, but the course was still fantastic.

Skibum, hope you have a good time.

Yea koolau used to be my go to course. After 12 it was $25 with a dozen top flights inc. The course was empty maybe 50 people at any given time. I would spend 5 hours just practicing and screwing around. Then in August 2015 the church which owns the course hired an outside firm to run the course. Since then price has jumped to $50 for locals and the course conditions have dropped. It's sad cause the course is fun to play. My buddy played there two week ago and he said conditions have improved but nowhere near worth $50. Sad deal.

Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you. Just got to Honolulu, woo!

Aloha. I will see you tomarrow. I'll prolly be at the course around 11, pretty decent practice area. Cya then.

In case anyone is wondering, I will surely be putting some pics up in here of this! Since it's turned out to be a backdoor THP outing haha

Thanks a ton for going out to Royal Hawaiian and losing a bunch of balls with me today, Breaking79 hahaha. We had some good shots, a few great ones, and a lot of not so good ones, but had a blast. First round over 100 in over a year and I don't even care, course is gorgeous! Really unforgiving just about everywhere though. Miss the fairway or the greens at your peril.

Bright spot: I had 29 putts LOL

45478b5071dd86472c2ff3147f5ef9f5.jpg

1fd1005c37fafbec8fdbb27d944e24f1.jpg

9db58d838d7e1499fbf2a4305232955c.jpg

e2a3c3a3a6644be1926e53deb97e4f96.jpg

Hoping to play a little better at Ewa Beach on Friday!

Yeah one of the course you just throw out the score and have fun.

Yeah one of the course you just throw out the score and have fun.
Hey buddy did you make it this morning? I'm on hole 2 if you're a little behind getting here

Hey buddy did you make it this morning? I'm on hole 2 if you're a little behind getting here

sorry man, got called at 6am as I was leaving, bye the police. We had a break in at work and had to go in to fill out reports, get the locks changed etc etc. Just bad timing. I hope enjoy the course, it's my fav course on the island.

sorry man, got called at 6am as I was leaving, bye the police. We had a break in at work and had to go in to fill out reports, get the locks changed etc etc. Just bad timing. I hope enjoy the course, it's my fav course on the island.

Man that sucks! Sorry to hear that, but glad to hear everything is ok. Course was great and I really appreciate the recommendation!

Kapolei is the home of the LPGA tour’s Hawaiian Open as well as a Champions Tour venue and is surprisingly easy to get out on. The fairways are rolling, and if you miss, a level lie is a rare gift. There are virtually no ocean views, however.

Back