Golf at Myrtle Beach

hedley_lamarr08

Happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I need help from fellow Hackers. I'll be at Myrtle Beach for 4-5 days in mid July. Family doesn't get up and move until around 11am which gives no one a reason to complain about me golfing every morning... maybe two rounds a day if they complain. I played TPC of Myrtle last year and loved it. It is on the list of 4 and I'll probably start with that course do to familiarity and enjoyment. Give me your list of top 5 within a 45 minute drive. North Myrtle is an option. I'm willing to go south as well as far as Pawleys Island. Looking forward to any responses and will consider them all. (Harbour Town is just to far)

Golf at Myrtle Beach

Any of the Barefoot Landing courses are fine. I enjoyed the Love Course as a good “Vacation” course. But there are 90 courses and you will get recommendations for all but 3 or 4 of the stinkers. If money is no object, several top notch courses to choose from. Check some courses for free replay options- especially at that time of the year. But good luck with the heat and humidity in July and trying to squeeze 36 in!

Oh, and if it doesn’t stop raining soon in the area, try to stay away from some of the inland ‘low country’ courses. They seem to hold on to the water and can be extremely soggy. You could wind up cart pathing only on those. Not to mention plugged lies in fairway and Prune Feet. I’m sure someone will have a list of the ones to avoid in those conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My personal favorite is Whispering Pines next to the airport. Prestwick (Pete Dye course) can be challenging if its been dry, the greens can be really fast.

My father lives in Myrtle (just around the corner from Arrowhead) and we go there nearly two times a year.

I enjoy TPC Myrtle too! Fun course and the greens are usually pretty nice.

I’m gonna check in with my Dad and see what his favorites are.

Was just there. I absolutely love Myrtle wood (pine hills) It’s going under a full restoration soon so I would check to see if it’s going to be open when you’re there. Also played legends resort it was awesome

I’ll agree with Maric as both Whispering Pines and Prestwick are fantastic courses. Whispering Pines has virtually no houses adjacent to the course, which is rare for Myrtle. I really enjoyed Blackmoor on the south end of Myrtle and The Witch is really fun too. Make sure you have bug spray in your bag if you play The Witch because it is basically built on a swamp.

My favorites in no particular order:

Tidewater
True Blue
Caledonia
TPC
Tiger's Eye
Leopard's Chase
Kings North
Wild Wing Avocet
Barefoot Love
Barefoot Fazio
Legends Parkland

Caledonia
Tidewater
True Blue
Thistle

My personal favorite is Whispering Pines next to the airport. Prestwick (Pete Dye course) can be challenging if its been dry, the greens can be really fast.

Wow, WP must have really changed over the years. It used to be a real dump with little to redeem itself other than being close to airport on getaway day. Poor conditions and badly managed. Even then, we would go to Arrowhead instead. Heard “whispers” over the recent couple of years that is was ‘better’. But as bad as it was, “better” didn’t mean much compared to the much nicer options around. Really worth putting it on a play list these days? Not necessarily a “must play” list, just another option?

Thanks everyone. Looks like it will be TPC Myrtle, Blackmoor, and Tidewater. Playing by myself they may not allow a single golfer at the last two so my 4th course will be Kings North or Barefoot dye. Good mixture on course and slope ratings that I shouldn't be in the 90s on these courses. I'll keep checking the thread for ideas so if you come up with any or can give an honest review of a place such as "Big Cats Golf" I'd love to hear it.

Wow, WP must have really changed over the years. It used to be a real dump with little to redeem itself other than being close to airport on getaway day. Poor conditions and badly managed. Even then, we would go to Arrowhead instead. Heard “whispers” over the recent couple of years that is was ‘better’. But as bad as it was, “better” didn’t mean much compared to the much nicer options around. Really worth putting it on a play list these days? Not necessarily a “must play” list, just another option?

If you haven't played this course in the last few years you will be pleasantly surprised. Not on the par with Caledonia, but good greens and well groomed fairways.

Thanks everyone. Looks like it will be TPC Myrtle, Blackmoor, and Tidewater. Playing by myself they may not allow a single golfer at the last two so my 4th course will be Kings North or Barefoot dye. Good mixture on course and slope ratings that I shouldn't be in the 90s on these courses. I'll keep checking the thread for ideas so if you come up with any or can give an honest review of a place such as "Big Cats Golf" I'd love to hear it.

Played Blackmoor as a single around that time of year- no problems getting paired up. Even played it solo at least twice. A bit later in the day as a younger buck when 90+* air and 1000% humidity wasn’t a problem. But as I said- if it doesn’t dry out soon down there, it can be a bit ‘soft’. I will also point out it didn’t suit my game then. LOTS of near right angle doglegs if I remember right, so I was constantly driving through the far side of fairways. This was before the advent of GPS, lasers, etc., to get distances.

Good luck. I wasn't real impressed with TPC Myrtle Beach or Barefoot Dye. TPC MB confitions were pretty nice but the layout was very boring. I don't remember a single hole.

Barefoot Dye was just a course and probably the worst I have played in SC/NC.

Kings North - "The Gambler" hole; nice choice I always liked that course.

Caledonia is my favorite Myrtle Beach course. I dig the plantation style courses with Spanish moss on the trees and gators on the course (Heritage Club, Pawley's Plantation, The Witch, etc.)

Thistle
Caledonia
Glen dornoch
True blue

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve played Blackmoor twice as a single and it didn’t seem to be an issue, although it wasn’t a morning round. As has been stated, there are a bunch of doglegs there so make sure you’re prepared to play long iron, hybrid, or 3 wood off several tee boxes. Also, the split fairway #8 presents an interesting question off the tee. Personally, I’ve played the “direct route” every time I’ve played, with mixed results.

I live in Barefoot.
The Dye is in great shape, in fact all four Barefoot courses are. If you had to drop one of those you listed, drop Blackmoor and play Heritage instead. Its just south of True Blue/Caladonia and its affiliated with the Legends group. Beautiful course, great price, and the breakfast buffet, lunch and two beers are included. Legends gives the best bang for your buck, and I think Heritage is their premiere course.
One more thing, a lot of courses down here are aerating right now. Check to make sure if the ones you're playing are. Have fun, and enjoy golf in Paradise. Just stay hydrated… its HOT.

Hidden gem! Fun and tough track. Nothing special but it's a lot of fun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

City bought it or someone bought within the past 5 or 6 years and put some work and money behind it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

@RayG The city bought Whispering Pines, and its much better now. Not what I'd call elite, but definitely in the top 50 now.
BTW Barefoot Landing is the name of the shopping area just south of Barefoot Resort, which is where the Yacht Club and 4 golf courses are located. The two are not affiliated.

I played Rivers Edge earlier this year and it was in the best shape ( other than 1 hole on the back ) that I have seen in the 3 times i have played it. Absolutely stunning layout.

Tidewater was great as well. Oyster Bay was disappointing condition wise for sure. Willbrook was in fantastic shape also.

I need help from fellow Hackers. I'll be at Myrtle Beach for 4-5 days in mid July. Family doesn't get up and move until around 11am which gives no one a reason to complain about me golfing every morning... maybe two rounds a day if they complain. I played TPC of Myrtle last year and loved it. It is on the list of 4 and I'll probably start with that course do to familiarity and enjoyment. Give me your list of top 5 within a 45 minute drive. North Myrtle is an option. I'm willing to go south as well as far as Pawleys Island. Looking forward to any responses and will consider them all. (Harbour Town is just to far)

when exactly will you be down there? I am going down the 20th through the 27th

I just came back....

Thanks for all the responses. My wife's friend had her dad bring clubs so I wasn't by myself and that opened up a lot of courses. Played the TPC and got par or birdie on the 4 hardest holes, played awful on the rest for whatever reason... course was in great shape and greens were fast and true.. bunkers plenty of sand and no issues... enough that we played it twice while I was there. The second time I played the simple stuff great but ballooned my scores on 4 holes costing me my round. Wouldn't undo the decision to play it again. Good shots rarely get punished by the course. The day in between we played Pine Lakes. Course was immaculate, no dead or burnt spots. Service really good as well. The greens were SLOW but perfect. According to the starter they do that this time of year to keep from burning them up. Wasn't an "easy" course but very good numbers to be had. Shot an 80 with two water balls. Very happy. Preferred the TPC but can't say anything bad about Pine Lakes.

We will be at the beach in a week or so with my family and best golfing buddy. We'll play just about anywhere, but we'll be playing the following courses:

1) Lockwood Folly (local course at Holden Beach we always play)
2) Thistle
3) Aberdeen
4) Sea Trail (Rees Jones course)

Can't wait!

Back