RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
I went to the driving range last Friday for the first time this year, and continuing the trend that started last year for me, my elbows are aching.
Last year, I barely finished my last round of the year - by the 14th hold my elbows were just screaming at me and the insides of my elbows ached for days afterwards.

I've been thinking that this has to do with all the typing/desk work I do on a daily basis with my job since I had never experienced this prior to last season.

Does anyone have experience with this, or recommend any exercises to help strengthen and mitigate this problem?

I have a few questions. Assuming you are right handed (I'm a lefty):

1. Is the pain/discomfort in your left elbow or both?
2. Is the pain/discomfort on the inside or outside of your elbow? The determines if you have tennis or golfer's elbow?

To make a long story short, I got tennis elbow in my right arm from my daughter. We were walking with me holding her hand (my right and her left) when she tripped and started to fall down. I yanked up quickly to prevent her from doing any serious damage. The next morning I could barely lift an 8 inch skillet. I went to the doctor's office and was diagnosed with tennis elbow. Took me a couple months to rehab (different exercises, stretches, massage) the elbow. The happened in Aug/Sept. of 2014. I am just now in 2016 able to play golf without a tennis elbow brace. The pain is gone, but the discomfort is still there.

I get this in my right elbow all the time. Situation about being at a desk a lot is similar, however, I did damage to my elbow in HS playing baseball compounded by years of competitive bowling. I found that wearing a compression sleeve helps reduce the pain in my case.

I'm right handed and I have it on the inside of both actually.
It was bad after my last game last year - about 90 strokes including putts, with of course the standard number of duffed shots from only playing 2 rounds. Friday I hit a bucket of 50 without too many clubs smashed into the mat since I was trying to baby myself back into the groove.

I have a few questions. Assuming you are right handed (I'm a lefty):

1. Is the pain/discomfort in your left elbow or both?
2. Is the pain/discomfort on the inside or outside of your elbow? The determines if you have tennis or golfer's elbow?

To make a long story short, I got tennis elbow in my right arm from my daughter. We were walking with me holding her hand (my right and her left) when she tripped and started to fall down. I yanked up quickly to prevent her from doing any serious damage. The next morning I could barely lift an 8 inch skillet. I went to the doctor's office and was diagnosed with tennis elbow. Took me a couple months to rehab (different exercises, stretches, massage) the elbow. The happened in Aug/Sept. of 2014. I am just now in 2016 able to play golf without a tennis elbow brace. The pain is gone, but the discomfort is still there.

I developed tennis elbow a couple years ago on my left arm after hitting a tree root hidden by leaves. ( I used to be in the trees a lot) It hurt to lift up my cell phone. After resting/stretching for a month per doctor with no improvement I ended up getting a shot in my elbow. Started feeling better after a couple weeks. It's been ok since but I find if I hit off mats or play more than 18 in a day it gets aggravated.

I'm right handed and I have it on the inside of both actually.
It was bad after my last game last year - about 90 strokes including putts, with of course the standard number of duffed shots from only playing 2 rounds. Friday I hit a bucket of 50 without too many clubs smashed into the mat since I was trying to baby myself back into the groove.

Based on your response and what I have read, you indeed have golfer's elbow vice tennis elbow. Below is a good link to get you moving in the right direction.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/golfers-elbow/basics/definition/con-20027964

Have tennis elbow in my left. Had it before golf from outdoor work. It has recurred from the golf swing unfortunately. For me its ice at the first sign of reaggravation, low dose motrin, tennis elbow strap, and rest. I have found wearing the strap while swinging really works as did weakening my left hand and using a looser grip. I recently started using Penetrex which is an over the counter topical anti inflammatory. It has a bunch of good reviews on Amazon, hasn't been long enough for me to make a definitive decision one way or the other.

Go to a chiropractor tomorrow. Have him pop your elbow. Seriously.

try BIOFREEZE. worked great on my elbow. However not available over the counter, find a massage therapist or chiropractor or phsyiscal therapist that carries it. you need to work the muscles around the elbow and build them up, the biofreeze is a great temp solution. You need pro help for long term.

I had it bad in my right arm, and finally broke down and bought a Thera-Band FlexBar. There's some videos on YT that show the exercises for golfers / tennis elbow.
It did not "cure" the issue, but the pain is almost completely gone and I really only have flare ups after I get complacent and stop doing the exercises. Like, say, over the winter.

May not work for everybody, but it's cheap and simple and appears to have worked for a majority of people.

These help a lot. But the chiropractor is the first thing I would do.

I had my issues for months, and finally went to him and he told me he wished I had told him after it hurt for a couple weeks. I felt fine right after he adjusted my elbow, though I still waited for a month before playing again.

xgolfers_3.jpg

I had it bad in my right arm, and finally broke down and bought a Thera-Band FlexBar. There's some videos on YT that show the exercises for golfers / tennis elbow.
It did not "cure" the issue, but the pain is almost completely gone and I really only have flare ups after I get complacent and stop doing the exercises. Like, say, over the winter.

May not work for everybody, but it's cheap and simple and appears to have worked for a majority of people.
The flexbar is what I started using last year. Minimal pain if any after simulator golf this winter

Rest, anti inflammatory and an ice compression wrap called the Shock doctor got rid of my golfer's elbow last year.

try BIOFREEZE. worked great on my elbow. However not available over the counter, find a massage therapist or chiropractor or phsyiscal therapist that carries it. you need to work the muscles around the elbow and build them up, the biofreeze is a great temp solution. You need pro help for long term.
I had tennis elbow for all of last year. Doctor told me 12-18 months fire it to get better. It lasted about 13 months before I could swing a club with out pain. Biofreeze is fantastic. I try to keep some in my bag at so times now. As far as finding this in stores, but a problem when I went looking for it. Walgreens had it out on the shelf. They carry it in a roll on too. Perfect for the golf bag.
These help a lot. But the chiropractor is the first thing I would do.

I had my issues for months, and finally went to him and he told me he wished I had told him after it hurt for a couple weeks. I felt fine right after he adjusted my elbow, though I still waited for a month before playing again.

xgolfers_3.jpg
This is the way to go. Thanks for posting Smalls.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try these preventative/soft exercises to see where I get before I go see a chiro.

Not to pollute the forum with new threads, I'm adding to this one.
I was at the range again (currently typing this with an ice pack on my elbows) and had a great time, but I've been reflecting and thinking. When you guys swing, are you LOCKING your left elbow (right handed) to maintain a straight position? I feel like I am, which might be helping transmit additional shock to my poor joints...

Not to pollute the forum with new threads, I'm adding to this one.
I was at the range again (currently typing this with an ice pack on my elbows) and had a great time, but I've been reflecting and thinking. When you guys swing, are you LOCKING your left elbow (right handed) to maintain a straight position? I feel like I am, which might be helping transmit additional shock to my poor joints...

What range are you at?

I was at Confed tonight since it's the closest to me.

Haven't' been there. The RCGA has some new matts this year they might be a little easier on you during practice.

Back