What do you want/hope to see in the next wave of equipment?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Seems like the last few years have all been about the buzz word "speed," whereas the few years prior it was all about ball flight. What are you thinking, and/or hoping will be next?

Feels like the big OEMs tend to follow each other in terms of tech and marketing, so it's probably safe to say one thing will be the focal point of the next big equipment shift.

Is there anything you hope they shy away from? Any predictions of what we might see down the pipeline? Let's have some fun hypothetical discussion!

Seems like the last few years have all been about the buzz word "speed," whereas the few years prior it was all about ball flight. What are you thinking, and/or hoping will be next?

Feels like the big OEMs tend to follow each other in terms of tech and marketing, so it's probably safe to say one thing will be the focal point of the next big equipment shift.

Is there anything you hope they shy away from? Any predictions of what we might see down the pipeline? Let's have some fun hypothetical discussion!

I would like to see an elimination of proprietary graphite shafts. In other words, separate head companies from shaft companies.
For example, Callaway or Ping or TM introduces a new driver head and the consumer then chooses (or is it fit to) a shaft . Callaway (or Ping, TM , Titleist, Mizuno etc...) new driver head is $200. The consumer then has a choice of shafts ranging from $100 to $400, and depending on which shaft he chooses he will pay between $300 and $600 for his new driver.
The above will do away with the current collaboration (between head brands and shaft brands) which results in proprietary shafts that may meet the cost/profit objectives of the branded companies involved, but I don't believe results in especially good playing drivers.
If $200 retail is not enough for Titleist-Callaway-Ping-TM-Mizuno etc... to make the profit they need from selling a head, then they could charge $300. If $300 is still not enough for them they could charge $400.
My point is that I believe eliminating the "proprietary shaft" business concept may result in better quality, better performing finished clubs.

I would like to see an elimination of proprietary graphite shafts. In other words, separate head companies from shaft companies.
For example, Callaway or Ping or TM introduces a new driver head and the consumer then chooses (or is it fit to) a shaft . Callaway (or Ping, TM , Titleist, Mizuno etc...) new driver head is $200. The consumer then has a choice of shafts ranging from $100 to $400, and depending on which shaft he chooses he will pay between $300 and $600 for his new driver.
The above will do away with the current collaboration (between head brands and shaft brands) which results in proprietary shafts that may meet the cost/profit objectives of the branded companies involved, but I don't believe results in especially good playing drivers.
If $200 retail is not enough for Titleist-Callaway-Ping-TM-Mizuno etc... to make the profit they need from selling a head, then they could charge $300. If $300 is still not enough for them they could charge $400.
My point is that I believe eliminating the "proprietary shaft" business concept may result in better quality, better performing finished clubs.

I like this idea quite a bit. I would think the OEMs would need to offer some shaft pairings for the big box stores, and for the golfer who could care less about what shaft is in his/her club just so long as he has the driver that's "guaranteed" to improve his game.

It would be very cool to see the neck schtick take on the concept of "make it your own" instead of limited off the rack options.

I like this idea quite a bit. I would think the OEMs would need to offer some shaft pairings for the big box stores, and for the golfer who could care less about what shaft is in his/her club just so long as he has the driver that's "guaranteed" to improve his game.

It would be very cool to see the neck schtick take on the concept of "make it your own" instead of limited off the rack options.

To your point, I think shaft brands could sell "basic shafts" or "entry level shafts" which would retail for $50 to $75. Retailers could then offer those shafts to the consumer who is either on a budget and, or, does not especially care about the shaft in his/her club. The shaft brands would know that "basic-entry level" is large volume market and likely compete against each other and end up producing a much superior product to what the club head brands have traditionally offered as "stock-proprietary shafts".

Cool idea, but I'm pretty sure that this would end up costing the consumer much more in the end.

Game improvement equipment that does not assume the player struggles with a right miss.

Game improvement equipment that does not assume the player struggles with a right miss.

Oh hells yeah! I'm so tired of that assumption. I get that they're playing off of averages (though I don't know where they get their numbers,) but I don't play with anyone who suffers from a slice. I'm sure they'd be thrilled to see something set up to forgive other misses.

Cool idea, but I'm pretty sure that this would end up costing the consumer much more in the end.

Yep, the head will be $400+ for starters. Then since none of the shafts are mass produced they will all be $200+ so drivers would be $600-$1000.

Well, it's not going to happen because Titleist-Ping-Callaway-TM etc.. do not want to give up the control (and profit) of selling completely finished drivers, fairway metals and hybrids.
That said, I think a brand that has never had significant USA market share in the metal woods category, such as Mizuno, Srixon, or Bridgestone, could distinguish their brand by trying a "heads only" concept.
Also, if a club head producer or two offered "heads only", this would give the shaft producers a higher visibility and better business opportunity than ever before. For decades now major OEM head brands have been negotiating hard for their "stock proprietary shaft" pricing, promising the shaft companies large volume production numbers in exchange for relatively low pricing. This has been a part of the industry which I think has not been good for shaft brands or consumers.

I'd like to see a standardizing of shaft adapters. A shaft should be able to be pulled from one head and put right into another, even from a different brand.

I'd like to see a standardizing of shaft adapters. A shaft should be able to be pulled from one head and put right into another, even from a different brand.

That would be fantastic. A solid improvement upon how it used to be, where all you had to do was pull the shaft and insert into a new head.

I second that. As far as GI clubs go, my Hot Metals are far from the worst on the market, but there's still enough offset that 90%+ of my iron misses are left. Who determined all higher handicappers miss right anyway?

I second that. As far as GI clubs go, my Hot Metals are far from the worst on the market, but there's still enough offset that 90%+ of my iron misses are left. Who determined all higher handicappers miss right anyway?

I believe offset is designed in to irons more for increasing the height of shot trajectory than anything else.

I believe offset is designed in to irons more for increasing the height of shot trajectory than anything else.

It's always been my understanding [and my experience], that offset allows a golfer to close that face earlier, thus reducing the tendency to slice. I needed plenty of offset when I first started golfing, but I stopped slicing the ball long ago. Now my miss is left, and high offset clubs exacerbate that miss.

Late to the thread, but this is exactly what I was going to post, glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this would be a great idea. Sure would make life easier for those of us that like to tinker.

Oh that would be awesome! I doubt we’ll ever see it.... “our adapter is best”, but I would love that. Especially for someone that doesn’t work on their own clubs and has to pay to swap them out. I’ve spent more on an OEM adapter and installation at Dicks than I’ve spent on the shaft more than a few times.

Heh, was coming for the USB-C of head adapter post, but looks like many already beat me to the punch. Personally I think a universal shaft adapter would cause me to spend more not less. I’d love to be able to hot swap heads based on the need of the day or just as I progress. I don’t have the time/patience/skill to reshaft my own clubs. A trend I don’t like is seeing manufactures dropping adjustable heads and going back to static heads.

So lots of talk of personalization / customization. How do you guys think the OEMs would market that to sell the idea as an improvement to the average player? E.g. this club gives you 10+mph ball speed gain, thus more distance. May not be true for the average golfer, but that's how they're selling it.

Posted by my thumbs.

It would be really cool if someone would develop a square shaped driver head...

I’m not sure if a bag would qualify but how about a fully customizable cart or stand bag from a major brand. It would be pretty awesome to get a Callaway bag with a large array of choices of color, fabric, design, pockets, straps, cooler and accessories. Pricy I’m sure but probably worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree about GI equipment without a draw bias.

Also, would love to see more companies bring out a single length set. Cally BB OS in single length is my dream set.

It would be really cool if someone would develop a square shaped driver head...

I used to rock the triangle shaped head.
Callaway Ft-iZ:
1d57a3cdc100f2dcfd5a9bf07ecd149c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You realize that this model benefits retailers more than OEMS. There are only so many SKUs a retailer can carry and most golf club purchases are impulse, not planned. Retailers need sufficient stock on the floor to accommodate most golfers but not so much that they will be overburdened with debt obligations.

There exists retailers that do what you are looking for right now, Cool Clubs, Hot Stix, Club Champion to name a few.

You realize that this model benefits retailers more than OEMS. There are only so many SKUs a retailer can carry and most golf club purchases are impulse, not planned. Retailers need sufficient stock on the floor to accommodate most golfers but not so much that they will be overburdened with debt obligations.

There exists retailers that do what you are looking for right now, Cool Clubs, Hot Stix, Club Champion to name a few.

By using a heads-separate-from-shafts model I expect retail store front operators would benefit, shaft brands would benefit in a multitude of ways, , and consumers would benefit from receiving an improved finish product. You are right that the major OEM's such as Callaway-Ping-Titleist-TM would be reluctant, because selling only heads would significantly reduce the revenue they get now from selling finished metal woods. But, I don't think the finished clubs with proprietary shafts perform especially well, and it might be helpful if things changed.For starters I think it would make sense for Mizuno or Bridgestone to try the "heads-only" path. These two companies have good brand name recognition in the irons and, or, ball market, but have never been especially successful at getting significant market share of the USA metal wood market.
The stores could offer floor space for display of heads, and racks for display of shafts. Compared to the current method of displaying finished clubs, separating the heads from shafts may free up square footage space within the store.
Of most benefit to the retail store front, I think, is that a heads-separate-from-shafts model may motivate customers to utilize fit services, make customers more aware of the impact that a shaft has on golf shots, provoke customers to purchase multiple shafts and grips, motivate consumers to shop in store instead of online, increase top line revenues of the store etc...

Last edited:
Back