Par 3 Course HOI - Does It Count?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
THPers played an awesome 18 hole par 3 course this weekend and it got the discussion going.

If you make a hole in one, does it count?

Yes absolutely it counts. It's extremely difficult to pull off regardless of the type of course you're playing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Don't most HOI happen on a Par 3, anyway? :bulgy-eyes:

No reason it wouldn't.

Depends on the course. Ive played some where you could play the whole course with a 50*. Then there are some legit ones.

Either way, Id probably count it with an asterisk.

Heck yes

I don't get where the question comes from, why wouldn't it count?

Yep. It counts.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Yes, I'd count it.

Hell yes.

My boy Casey from TM is crazy!

No. A whole course of hole in one opportunities means the likelihood of eventually hitting one is much higher. If someone said they'd had 10 holes in one, but they got 16-18 shots at it per round because all they play is an executive or par 3 course, I'd be notably less impressed. I'd still be impressed, but there'd be an asterisk.

THPers played an awesome 18 hole par 3 course this weekend and it got the discussion going.

If you make a hole in one, does it count?

Most of the Guinness Book of World Record hole-in-one holders are seniors playing Florida par 3 courses 7 days a week.

No. A whole course of hole in one opportunities means the likelihood of eventually hitting one is much higher. If someone said they'd had 10 holes in one, but they got 16-18 shots at it per round because all they play is an executive or par 3 course, I'd be notably less impressed. I'd still be impressed, but there'd be an asterisk.

Because it’s still so easy?

Uh!...Yes!

So if someone plays a ton more than you in general, do their hole in ones not count the same either? They had way more opportunities than you, so I’d have to imagine the same applies.

Hole in ones are still insanely rare, and most go their entire lives without one no matter how much they play. They also practically only happen on par 3’s to begin with. So absolutely still count, as long as their isn’t some gimmicky - if you hit the green at all it goes in type deal.

There are 5 par 3s on my home course. If I made a HOI once in 4 rounds is it any more impressive to get a HOI in four rounds than it is to get one in one round at an exec course? A majority of golfers go their whole golfing lives without a HOI. One stroke in is one stroke in regardless of the track.

I’d say it counts but it’s a lesser accomplishment. If a hole in one is a 100, I’d say a par 3 course is a 97. Still amazing but slightly different.

For a pitch & putt course, like was stated that could be played with no more than say a GW, I'd say no. But yes when there are legitimate par 3 distances.

Here's the scorecard from the Executive Course that I cut my golfing teeth on. Had my only HOI on #12 the very first day I'd ever played golf and a full 6 or so years before I'd play again and actually take up the game:

7f9e8a01dd43f8a755c07ef4934a3afc.jpg

I say it absolutely counts. You still have to send the ball in the right direction, who cares if you had multiple chances at it.

Tell this guy it wouldn't count (regardless of the course).

A HIO is a HIO regardless - someone is buying drinks for sure!

I disagree. It counts for sure.

But impressed someone said holes in one instead of hole in ones! :)

For a pitch & putt course, like was stated that could be played with no more than say a GW, I'd say no. But yes when there are legitimate par 3 distances.

Here's the scorecard from the Executive Course that I cut my golfing teeth on. Had my only HOI on #12 the very first day I'd ever played golf and a full 6 or so years before I'd play again and actually take up the game:

7f9e8a01dd43f8a755c07ef4934a3afc.jpg

See, I don't call that an Executive course, I call it a Par 3 course. For me, and Executive course has some par 4s and maybe even a par 5 in there. Most are Par 3s but not all of them.

Back