• Called him on penalty but still found his ball in sink hole

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Not called penalty and found his ball in sink hole

Votes: 24 80.0%

• Total voters

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay just finished playing in a 2 man 2 day tournament. Well we finished tied for 4th. 3rd place team finished 2 strokes ahead of us and made $400 more than us. Well we played with the 3rd place team, and twice they took a putt today where the guy had a tap in and putted while holding the flag stick. So that would have been a total of 4 strokes in penalties. We did not call them on it because we did not want to feel like Dbags and he did not probably know the rule. To top it off he hit his ball into the fairway on 1 hole and it went into a sink hole which I saw it walking up and told him and saved him another stroke. So would you have called them on the penalty or let it go. We could have won another $400!

I'd let it go. It's only money. You're not the dbags, they are.

I'd let it go as well. Real golfers call themselves out, that's what makes our game great. I probably wouldn't be doing that event in the future... Not to mention, there is no honor among thieves, they will get theirs in the long run...

Was he leaning on the stick or was it not out all the way so the ball touched it going in?

Well, none of the above because that's not a penalty anymore - they changed the rule a few years ago.

[h=2]17-1/5[/h] [h=4]Holding Flagstick with One Hand and Putting with Other Hand[/h] Q.A player holds the flagstick with one hand and holes a short putt, gripping the putter with his other hand. Is this permissible?

A.Yes, provided the flagstick has been removed from the hole and the ball therefore does not strike it. If the ball were to strike the flagstick, a breach of Rule 17-3a would occur.

Hence the question I asked.

In general though if you see someone brake a rule, not say anything, watch them break it again and not say anything only to wait to see they beat you would and then decided to call the penalty makes you a douche bag. If you see a violation call it right away. If there is a dispute you can fix it after the round.

Well, none of the above because that's not a penalty anymore - they changed the rule a few years ago.

See this is why I play for fun and VERY rarely play in any events... I can't keep track of Rule 143-43.b sub section 87-c provisional situation 31.54a. lol

In general though if you see someone brake a rule, not say anything, watch them break it again and not say anything only to wait to see they beat you would and then decided to call the penalty makes you a douche bag. If you see a violation call it right away. If there is a dispute you can fix it after the round.
This also!

See this is why I play for fun and VERY rarely play in any events... I can't keep track of Rule 143-43.b sub section 87-c provisional situation 31.54a. lol

It's the same with me. When I play alone for fun, I never pull the pin. I learned something as I wasn't aware of a rule about that. I guess I should read the rules. :)

Well your scores playing alone don't count so don't worry about it.

Apparently no longer a penalty to hold stick while holing out so that was a non-issue. You displayed proper etiquette regarding the sink hole ball so all is good despite missing out on the $400.

Was he leaning on the stick or was it not out all the way so the ball touched it going in?

He pulled it can held it with one hand and tapped in with the other

17-1/5

Holding Flagstick with One Hand and Putting with Other Hand

Q.A player holds the flagstick with one hand and holes a short putt, gripping the putter with his other hand. Is this permissible?

A.Yes, provided the flagstick has been removed from the hole and the ball therefore does not strike it. If the ball were to strike the flagstick, a breach of Rule 17-3a would occur.

Well damn I should learn the rules more often I guess.

I'd let them know after they did it the first time, but not call the penalty. If they did it again, I'd call them on it, but only after you let them know it's a penalty the first time.

imo this is suppose to be a game of honor and integrity. And to be honest, there are some things that are ridiculous imo. Even if the flagstick rule was not changed, is it really any advantage to hold a flag in one hand while tapping in with the other anyway? I wouldn't even think twice about that if an opponent did this. To me (even if it was not legal) I would feel its much more honorable to acknowledge the tap in than it would be to call him out for holding the pin in his other hand.

As for finding his ball and telling him where it was. Imo that is also the honorable thing to do and hopefully another would find your ball when you cant. We don't have the advantage of 100 sets of eyes tracking our ball like the pros do. I think its very honorable to tell another you seen their ball when they don't. I cant think of being more honorable than that and also cant think of anything worse as for integrity and honor if we don't. But maybe I am lost with this. I mean I would hate to think when you guys play competitive golf that one would walk past or notice anothers ball and not say something and allow that person to take a penalty because he cant find it. I don't know about this stuff as yet to play any official competitive golf but cheeeze is that what goes on? Is that what is suppose to go on? I don't know and just an honest question but if so, how do we call this game one of integrity and honor? I just havnt thought of this stuff and am a bit baffled.

If they're tap-ins can you tell them they can have it or is that only in match-play?

If they're tap-ins can you tell them they can have it or is that only in match-play?

I don't think its a matter of giving a putt. I think (unless mistaken) it was that player held the flag in one hand while tapping in with the other.

I don't think its a matter of giving a putt. I think (unless mistaken) it was that player held the flag in one hand while tapping in with the other.

I get that, and it sounds like it is not a penalty anymore anyways. Just wondering if the ball is close enough to even be able to do that if you can just say "good, pick it up" or not in this type of tournament format.

I get that, and it sounds like it is not a penalty anymore anyways. Just wondering if the ball is close enough to even be able to do that if you can just say "good, pick it up" or not in this type of tournament format.

no such thing as a gimmie in golf and stroke play. In match its not really a gimmie either but just more of a conceding of the hole because ones stroke count is already defeated.

I wouldn't have called the penalty on them but I would have made sure they knew the rule! That way they wouldn't do it again (hopefully) and they have a chance to call it on themselves. Integrity is part of our game!!

I wouldn't have called the penalty on them but I would have made sure they knew the rule! That way they wouldn't do it again (hopefully) and they have a chance to call it on themselves. Integrity is part of our game!!

But what was it that they really did wrong? If a players ball went into something and he/she wasn't aware, they didn't do anything wrong.
As for the holding the pin situation, As said I'd feel even if that dumb rule still existed that it would be petty to call someone for that. I understand rules are rules but some are too ridiculous and when play itself is not being given an advantage then imo that too would be petty to call upon. And the fact that its ridiculous is probably why it was changed.

In a tournament situation I will call the penalty and have called the penalty. As one of the others in the group it is your responsibility to protect the rest of the field. Golf is a game of integrity and it is everyone's responsibility to up hold it.
In a casual round have at it, but tournaments are different. The penalty has to be called.

If I see someone breaking a rule, however, that rule would not having made a difference in the score (such as this, where he would have made the putt had he not held onto the flag) I would point out the rule (or my understanding of the rule) and caution the person on the violation. Doing so would prevent the person from, again, breaking the rule. Then, it could be discussed after the round.

Of course this is my feeling based on the violation (if there was one) having no bearing on the outcome of the score.

And, this is another reason golfers should have a rulebook in their bag, or at least the rule app on their phone.

Back