Fwiw I don't think what he said yesterday was that bad either. I do think he is an insecure baby however that needs to learn how to treat people.

Knowing people who've worked as volunteers or onsite medical staff at PGA events and have interacted with BW behind the scenes, "insecure baby who needs to learn how to treat people" is about an apt description as you'll get.

He's just a smuck!

Every time I see this thread on the front page I just think what did this Dbag do this time.

I have no use for him.

i think what he said is pretty funny because i like bubba. others who have reasons to dislike him see this as yet another example of him acting like an asshole. none of us knows him personally. and i recognize that he has been a jerk to his caddie, and he hasn't been as gracious with the media as some of his peers. you want to hate him for that, go for it. i relate to him on a lot of levels and can very much see why he reacts like he does, because i think i would be very similar. i guess that makes me an asshole too! certainly wouldn't be the first time i've been accused of that lol

to the materialism thing, jordan spieth just spent almost $9 million on a house and he can't even rent a car. rory mcilroy told a story of how his first big payday as a pro, he went out and bought himself a really nice watch because all he ever wanted was a really nice watch, and now he doesn't even know if he still has it. does that make those guys materialistic douches? i don't think so. buying nice things doesn't make anyone less of a christian.

but i get it, and i recognize that maybe at some point instead of constantly defending somebody, you just accept that they're indefensible. until then, i'll keep thinking he's a nice guy with some clinical psychological challenges.

Well said. I agree. He does some things that make u go "c'mon man", but some ppl talk about him like he's Greg Hardy the scum of the earth.

Well said. I agree. He does some things that make u go "c'mon man", but some ppl talk about him like he's Greg Hardy the scum of the earth.
Nah, I don't compare him to hardy and I pretty damn sure none here would, or have, compare him to a woman abuser, but he is still a douche imo.

Nah, I don't compare him to hardy and I pretty damn sure none here would, or have, compare him to a woman abuser, but he is still a douche imo.

It kind of shows where our sports world has gone. Nobody can be critical, unless someone murders, rapes, beats, etc. Yes there are always worse, but who knew the likability factor only relied on lack of arrests in todays day and age. Boy do we set the bar low as sports fans.

It kind of shows where our sports world has gone. Nobody can be critical, unless someone murders, rapes, beats, etc. Yes there are always worse, but who knew the likability factor only relied on lack of arrests in todays day and age. Boy do we set the bar low as sports fans.

This is all so very true, the right/wrong/defense factor is insane when it comes to athletes.

Seems like people have become desensitized because of some of horrific things that have happened involving other athletes. Golf hadn't had those stories yet that I can recall.

Seriously. I really hate the "there are bigger Douchebags" argument. Its like a free pass to act like a child.

Seriously. I really hate the "there are bigger Douchebags" argument. Its like a free pass to act like a child.

And I say that less about Bubba Watson, and more about sports in general. It really is strange to me, how low we set the bar for character.

And I say that less about Bubba Watson, and more about sports in general. It really is strange to me, how low we set the bar for character.

And on the flipside, I've heard complaints from people (not so much here) that people like Spieth are "too vanilla".

And on the flipside, I've heard complaints from people (not so much here) that people like Spieth are "too vanilla".

hahaha why do you think Trump has been so popular? #EyeRoll

Bubba Watson is a remarkable talent, but he is far from 'professional' in many situations.... Like many athletes in today's era of sports.

Vanilla is one thing, but at the same time its just about character and how you treat people. Its not hard to not be a douche. And again I say that less about Watson, and just a general statement.

This is a full on rant. Why do people use their limited time and brain capacity to go out and tell the world how much they dislike someone like Bubba? He's a great golfer but clearly has an awkward, goofy, and even abrasive on course personality. But he is upfront about his challenges in those areas. Beyond that he is a family guy. He hasn't hurt anyone or done anything evil. Really, when did we get to a point where an exchange with a heckler -- very poor behavior -- or polls about likability become journalistic material? Seriously, this is just bizarre to me. Good natured ribbing about his antics, shots that go miles off line, or his fashion choices are one thing. But seems to go further. I am not attacking or calling out anyone individually, but this behavior seems to have become more socially common and accepted. I think it needs to be discouraged.

This is a full on rant. Why do people use their limited time and brain capacity to go out and tell the world how much they dislike someone like Bubba? He's a great golfer but clearly has an awkward, goofy, and even abrasive on course personality. But he is upfront about his challenges in those areas. Beyond that he is a family guy. He hasn't hurt anyone or done anything evil. Really, when did we get to a point where an exchange with a heckler -- very poor behavior -- or polls about likability become journalistic material? Seriously, this is just bizarre to me. Good natured ribbing about his antics, shots that go miles off line, or his fashion choices are one thing. But seems to go further. I am not attacking or calling out anyone individually, but this behavior seems to have become more socially common and accepted. I think it needs to be discouraged.

I understand that he's a family man or whatever - but when it comes down to the majority of people other than said family not really liking you? Maybe you're not actually that good of a guy. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. That's not to say I'm going to resort to heckling him after a bad shot - that guy's a jerk too. It's not a zero sum game.

You know who else is a Family Guy but I wouldn't look to him as a role model, Peter Griffin :alien:

Why do we hate on Bubba?

It's really easy to understand.

Here is a guy, with the talent and drive to become a mega-rich PGA Tour player, doing something we all love and getting paid for it, who treats the people who make this all possible for him as low life scum.

Shame on you Bubba.

Without that Patron coming to see you play golf, you would be just another hack at your local muni.

I also really, REALLY hate the way he uses his anxiety and social based 'issues' as a crutch, alongside his 'mental demons' that plague him.

As someone who suffers from various levels of situational anxiety, I have never once used 'being a douchetard' as a defense mechanism.

No matter what, he's a smuck!

Oh well, not hating Bubba appears to be rather unpopular. I'll move along. :surrender:

Why can't it be objective criticism about how someone handles themselves?
Not everything has to be super fan vs hatred.

Im not sure where in sports it turned into no matter what "my guy" does he is amazing and nobody should ever say a thing over wise.

Based on the media-generated info available, I think I am being objective. With Bubba, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Now Tom Brady is another story -- that football-deflating, ego-overloaded, Trump-loving, touchdown-throwing-machine is just deplorable (when you aren't a New England fan)! :beat-up:

Why can't it be objective criticism about how someone handles themselves?
Not everything has to be super fan vs hatred.

Im not sure where in sports it turned into no matter what "my guy" does he is amazing and nobody should ever say a thing over wise.

I think objective criticism is great. The endless urge to call him a douche by some gets old.

I think objective criticism is great. The endless urge to call him a douche by some gets old.

I don't actually agree. Easier fix is not really act that way, although like I said, I did not have any issue with what he said to the fan, who was trying to be "cute". But it kind of goes back to the old line of thinking that says quit telling people you are working on something, and then doing the same things over and over again. Tiger was similar. He came out and said I know its wrong and I am working on it, but nothing ever changed.

Instead, own it. If there is nothing wrong with it, own it, quit apologizing for it and saying you want to be better.

Back