Right thumb placement

Grandpa K

Reaction score
Handicap
Just a simple question that might be stupid but I’ll ask it anyway. Righthanded golfer. Where is your right thumb placed with your grip? I’ve been paying attention more to grips lately and I’ve noticed golfers with their right thumb off the grip and on the side almost meeting the right index finger. My grip has it on top of the shaft with some pressure on the grip. Just wondering what everyone thinks and if it’s a preference thing or is there a right and wrong way?

Just a simple question that might be stupid but I’ll ask it anyway. Righthanded golfer. Where is your right thumb placed with your grip? I’ve been paying attention more to grips lately and I’ve noticed golfers with their right thumb off the grip and on the side almost meeting the right index finger. My grip has it on top of the shaft with some pressure on the grip. Just wondering what everyone thinks and if it’s a preference thing or is there a right and wrong way?

I don't think there is a right/wrong way to it, as long as it's working and not influencing the rest of the grip. My thumb rests on the grip with very little pressure, pointing slightly in the direction of my right index finger. I'm much more particular when it comes to my left hand grip as that influences my swing more than anything.

I’m also working my grip to be neutral. I have issues with right hand flipping at impact. I have tendency to have too much gaps between my right thumb and index finger. I been working on making sure it’s closed through out the swing. Your right thumb should resting tad left when it’s done properly. For me if I have thumb top of the shaft I would release too early on down swing. Still I have seen good players who have their thumb at top. So I guess it all matters individual.
I remember when I started golfing. Instructor put tee between my thumb and index. Making sure my grips doesn’t come apart though out the swing. Works for me when I remember to do it.

d8144232d59b46c6cd4b4815e7d27819.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back