Titleist Hybrid Shaft Question

ajschn06

Reaction score
Handicap
So I purchased a Titleist 816 25 degree hybrid off eBay- the seller told me that it has a standard length shaft from the 816 21 degree hybrid in it. Titleist website lists an inch difference between these two clubs- so do I just have to tip the shaft an inch to get it to play normal/standard?

Somebody gotta know the answer to this!?

So a 25* hybrid has a 21* shaft in it? Meaning a 3-iron shaft has been put into a 4-iron? so it's soft stepped essentially?

So a 25* hybrid has a 21* shaft in it? Meaning a 3-iron shaft has been put into a 4-iron? so it's soft stepped essentially?

Correct, but I think it's a 3 iron shaft into a 5 iron? This model has 21*, 23*, 25* degree loft options that are half inch overall length apart.

Also should add that the shaft is still the standard 3 iron (hybrid) length. So was thinking tip trim an inch would get it both to standard length and proper playing characteristics, but wanted some confirmation. I reached out to Titleist but haven't heard back?

I'm certain that it's 100% stock 3 hybrid shaft because I have the 21* model as well and everything is identical.

Just butt trim it to the length you want.

That would be an easy solution but that would just give me the correct playing length, it wouldn't get the shaft to play as it was intended, right?

Correct, but I think it's a 3 iron shaft into a 5 iron? This model has 21*, 23*, 25* degree loft options that are half inch overall length apart.

Also should add that the shaft is still the standard 3 iron (hybrid) length. So was thinking tip trim an inch would get it both to standard length and proper playing characteristics, but wanted some confirmation. I reached out to Titleist but haven't heard back?

I'm certain that it's 100% stock 3 hybrid shaft because I have the 21* model as well and everything is identical.

Only 2* gaps? That's weird but OK

You are only going to run into it playing to a different stiffness if you tip trim it. Doubt it's going to play the same as if you put in the correct shaft. I hope you got it cheap off the Bay.

Only 2* gaps? That's weird but OK

You are only going to run into it playing to a different stiffness if you tip trim it. Doubt it's going to play the same as if you put in the correct shaft. I hope you got it cheap off the Bay.

I did get a good deal on the set so yes.

I guess I thought that hybrid shafts would be the same as fairway shafts- all start out the same and just tip them differently to play for different lofts?

Edit: Like you would for parallel irons shafts? It's a Diamana Blue 70 hybrid shaft .370- isn't there only one model of that shaft? They don't make different actual shafts for a 3 hybrid vs a 4 hybrid do they?

That would be an easy solution but that would just give me the correct playing length, it wouldn't get the shaft to play as it was intended, right?

If you tip trim, you generally change playing characteristics of the shaft. Trim more from the tip the stiffer it will play. The shaft manufacturer defines how to trim the shaft. Some recommend tip trimming some recommend both. I would bet that butt trimming is all that is done for the shaft if it is a stock shaft. Best answer is to go to the shaft manufacturers website and see what they say.

I did get a good deal on the set so yes.

I guess I thought that hybrid shafts would be the same as fairway shafts- all start out the same and just tip them differently to play for different lofts?

Edit: Like you would for parallel irons shafts? It's a Diamana Blue 70 hybrid shaft .370- isn't there only one model of that shaft? They don't make different actual shafts for a 3 hybrid vs a 4 hybrid do they?

See here: http://www.mrc-golf.com/sites/default/files/spec-pdf/MRC Diamana S+_SPEC SHEET.pdf

Instructions say butt trim to length.

The titleist hybrids were made this way and had small gaps between lofts.

Maybe that's why I don't play hybrids. HA! :act-up:

Maybe that's why I don't play hybrids. HA! :act-up:

It isn’t a bad setup, pick the lofts you need and you don’t have to rely on the various adjustment settings for significant changes. But the settings are there if needed. I really love the titleist hybrids.

Nice- thank you!

Edit: Jumped on the chat for the MRC website and was told it should be tip trimmed 1/2" and butt trimmed 1/2" to get it where it would be coming from Titleist.

Here's Titleist's trimming recomendations. Keep in mind, this is determined from using a new, uncut shaft.
https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/TitleistH.pdf

Here's some more trimming instructions broken down by shaft manufacturer.
https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/shaft_trim_inst.pdf

Honestly though, if you were to just butt trim it to the length you want, it won't be a whole lot of difference stiffness wise. It'll just play slightly softer without the 1/2" of tip trimming.

Back