Professional Golf Marketing

DataDude

Snakebite X Fan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The linked article below is kind of mystifying to me, how does Fox not put the young gun who has won 3 of the last 5 majors played and 4 of the last 8 and the 2 time defending US Open champ in their marketing for the US Open telecast this week. I love Tiger and I understand he drives eyeballs, but he is also 43 years old which means you better be selling the average fan on these younger golfers because at some point in the not so distant future Tiger will not be there to sell. I would think while you have all eyes on Tiger would be a fantastic time to introduce the average fan to Koepka, Spieth, and Cantlay and also to let them know Rory, DJ, and Rickie are still around as well. I am agreeing with Koepka here, I just don't understand it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-open-brooks-koepka-fox-ad-slight/1426286001/

He is in 3 of 4 promos that a Fox produced. I don’t know how you leave him out of one but it isn’t like he was completely ignored. He just wants to think he’s been massively slighted.

Last edited:
The only argument I can think of is that Tiger is easy pickings and it's simply lazy marketing. Fox aren't looking to 'grow the game' per se. They are looking to get the most eyes at this tournament and that means using Tiger and other players who already do more advertising work and extra bits and bobs.

For example Sergio is all over Adidas marketing right now, I don't know why, he isn't playing great right now and he is a terrible advert for the game. But people know his face so it works

The majors are when non-golf fans watch. Those folks know Tiger, Phil, and Spieth. Most wouldn't recognize Koepka's picture or even name.

Back