DirtyTee

Expert Hacker
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Too High
I plan on ordering a few different grips to try out and see which I like before replacing all of them, but I have what I feel like is a stupid question.

On my irons, I will want the grip logo or alignment aid in the correct position with the club face square. How do you determine this with the iron in the vise? The easy solution seems to just use some masking tape in front of the current stock grips to mark where that logo is and just go from there?

I typically do the masking tape with a mark on it to line it up. The actual gripping stations have a template to line the club up on.

I am not an expert at gripping but I put them on in the vise and then set the iron down in the address position to finish the alignment. You have several minutes to fine tune it before the solvent evaporates.

That is good to know. Didn't know how hard it would be to re-adjust out of the vise.

I am not an expert at gripping but I put them on in the vise and then set the iron down in the address position to finish the alignment. You have several minutes to fine tune it before the solvent evaporates.

This is how I do it too.. Just line it up by eye as best as possible on the vise, set it down and straighten if needed. Its very workable and you have plenty of time to move the grip around to your liking

I normally put my grips on with air, if I find one is off I can adjust it at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just eyeball it. It’s never been an issue. As others have said, you have a few minutes to fine tune when you take the club out of the vice.

I do both of the suggestions already given, masking tape with mark before taking off old grip, align new grip to the mark, remove from vice and check it out in address position, adjust as necessary (usually not much).

This is how I do it too.. Just line it up by eye as best as possible on the vise, set it down and straighten if needed. Its very workable and you have plenty of time to move the grip around to your liking

Is what i do also, the solvent does not dry that fast

I think the small mark on the tape is a great idea, never thought about that! Like others have said, you do have a few minutes after the grip is on the make adjustments.

If you have plenty available, use more solvent if you can, just makes it slide on easier and i think gives you a little more time to make adjustments. I've only done my grips ones and after the first grip was done i no longer felt nervous about losing a grip and it actually was fun to finish the set out.

I usually use whatever shaft graphics there are to center the club in the vise with the toe down. Then I put the grip on upside down and use whatever marks there my be on it to align it. DG and Nippon wouldn't really work for this. Alternatively, I've put the club in the vise with the toe up and square the leading edge up vertically, or even a hair open for my visual preference, then put the grip on with the logo or whatever line I want at 12 o'clock. Or you can leave the old grip with whatever alignment or markings it may have on the club and then clamp the club down and reinstall the new grip in the same orientation.

Back