Achilles Pain and Ankle Mobility

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, this season, I've noticed that my Achilles tendon on my left leg is gradually getting more and more sore. Beyond that, I've noticed that my left ankle in general seems to be less mobile than it was last year. I think, as a result, it's causing some compensation in my swing.

Two questions, has anyone heard of an Achilles injury from golf? Also, any good tips to help increase the mobility of the ankle?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you are having Achilles pain don't hesitate to have it checked out. My dad (he was in his late 30's at the time) was was playing basketball caught a pass, turned around and snap. Are you stretching before you play?

If you are having Achilles pain don't hesitate to have it checked out. My dad (he was in his late 30's at the time) was was playing basketball caught a pass, turned around and snap. Are you stretching before you play?
Yeah. I've been extra careful these days. It's tender to the touch. Not on the very back of the Achilles, but on the side. Like the soft stuff behind my Achilles hurts and is inflamed.

One of the guys I coach basketball with had a nagging pain near his Achilles he went to the dr after rest did him no good. Came to find out he had a bone spur behind his achilles that was irritating his achilles. Surgery, 3 months of rest and he is back in the gym.

Achilles are nothing to mess with, I've seen a couple snap just doing every day activities l, I'd go to the dr and have them check it out.

As for helping with mobility, after having all my ligaments redone in my ankle the dr's biggest recommendation for me was to walk barefoot on the sand. Really helps to build or rebuild strength.

I snapped my right achilles back in '98. Get it checked.

Could be as suggested, a bone spur, could be simple tendonitis. Either way, the pain is a warning as much as a symptom.

I suppose to get down to the real source, it's probably going to take an MRI. I'm just about due for a doctor's visit anyways. Maybe I'll schedule a little early and see what he thinks.

Have an appointment next Tuesday for some blood work. Having him take a look at it to see what he thinks the next step should be.

Not from golf, but I had a very nasty case of Achilles tendonitis years ago. I went the tradition medicine route, which put me in a walking boot and the talk of surgery started, but none of it ever made anything any better. Of all things, a chiropractor was the only person that ever helped me. I got adjustments to make sure the full leg was operating efficiently/properly + good orthotics (getting your foot fit, not the off the shelf things); that did the trick.

Not from golf, but I had a very nasty case of Achilles tendonitis years ago. I went the tradition medicine route, which put me in a walking boot and the talk of surgery started, but none of it ever made anything any better. Of all things, a chiropractor was the only person that ever helped me. I got adjustments to make sure the full leg was operating efficiently/properly + good orthotics (getting your foot fit, not the off the shelf things); that did the trick.
Interesting. He worked on adjusting you back to get your overall balance more in line?

I like my current chiropractor and never thought about even mentioning it to him.

Interesting. He worked on adjusting you back to get your overall balance more in line?

I like my current chiropractor and never thought about even mentioning it to him.

It was a while ago so I may not remember it exactly right. But I walked in for a back adjustment, he saw the walking boot and was like "WTF, that's exactly wrong. Don't immobilize it, make sure things are working properly." I vaguely recall having a talk which I characterized as 'the leg bone's connected to the ...." basically, his point was that everything has to work in conjunction with each other. My hip was out of alignment (?) and my gait/feet were funky, so there were hip (?) adjustments and the orthotics. That type of approach wasn't really in my wheelhouse at the time but I had been miserable long enough that I was willing to try anything. It worked, and pretty quickly too.

My doc looked at it and could tell that there was some noticeable swelling in the area surrounding the tendon. The weird part is that isn't even the tender spot. It is the side of the tendon that hurts when it flares up. For some reason, that hasn't been bothering me as much the last few days. He gave me a prescription for Diclofinac cream to put on the area twice a day. Says if the swelling hasn't gone down in the next 3 weeks that he is going to have me see a podiatrist. Also having some blood work done to make sure there are no clots as it has run in my family.

Back