Lynx Black Cat Hybrid - THP Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for a little review action is another piece of the Lynx lineup, the Black Cat Hybrid.

The Black Cat hybrid is available in just two loft options, 20° (3H, 41") and 23° (4H, 40"). The hybrids feature a solid matte black crown and internally offer up a two-piece cup-face to increase ball speeds while controlling spin as well as what they call "EET" (Effective Energy Transfer) to try and increase playability and forgiveness.

I received the 4H (23°) paired with Aldila RIP'd NV 80S hybrid shaft.

In-Hand Pictures (photo table pics will be included in the review when it goes up):

DSC00333-XL.jpg

DSC00334-XL.jpg

DSC00335-XL.jpg

DSC00336-XL.jpg

DSC00337-XL.jpg

DSC00338-XL.jpg

DSC00339-XL.jpg

DSC00340-XL.jpg

DSC00341-XL.jpg

DSC00343-XL.jpg

• Staff
So, I know these (Lynx Black Cat clubs in for review) aren't generating the buzz and conversation that some of the "big" names do, but I do enjoy options and its nice seeing a name like Lynx trying to be taken seriously stateside again.

For the hybo, my first reaction was that a fairway wood and a hybrid had a baby. The footprint here is deep from front to back and the overall footprint is larger than I have seen in a hybrid in a while. Even the face shape and depth are reminiscent of hybrids before everyone seemingly moved to that boxy toe design that Adams started. Because of that, I do think its going to be a friend to those who tend to sweep their hybrids or hit them like a fairway wood, the shape and depth just screams that so its something I'll keep an eye on for the review.

The Headcover is a little hokey for me personally, but, it fits the scheme/motif color wise of the club.

In hand the finish is OK, not the best matte finish I have seen, not at all the worst. I'll be curious to see how it holds up for me being a hybrid gets a good bit of ground interaction. Also, the sole matches the look of the driver which does have the flippable weight, but there is no adjustablity here, it was just a move for the company to visually unify the line.

Hoping to get some time soon on the Foresight GC2 with this one to really sort out what is what. With cup face, it has to be long, but I'm curious to see the spin given the shape/profile and I'm also curious of the sound/feel.

More as soon as I can, but please feel free to jump in with some convo, I'd love to discuss YOUR thoughts on it.

So, I know these (Lynx Black Cat clubs in for review) aren't generating the buzz and conversation that some of the "big" names do, but I do enjoy options and its nice seeing a name like Lynx trying to be taken seriously stateside again.

For the hybo, my first reaction was that a fairway wood and a hybrid had a baby. The footprint here is deep from front to back and the overall footprint is larger than I have seen in a hybrid in a while. Even the face shape and depth are reminiscent of hybrids before everyone seemingly moved to that boxy toe design that Adams started. Because of that, I do think its going to be a friend to those who tend to sweep their hybrids or hit them like a fairway wood, the shape and depth just screams that so its something I'll keep an eye on for the review.

The Headcover is a little hokey for me personally, but, it fits the scheme/motif color wise of the club.

In hand the finish is OK, not the best matte finish I have seen, not at all the worst. I'll be curious to see how it holds up for me being a hybrid gets a good bit of ground interaction. Also, the sole matches the look of the driver which does have the flippable weight, but there is no adjustablity here, it was just a move for the company to visually unify the line.

Hoping to get some time soon on the Foresight GC2 with this one to really sort out what is what. With cup face, it has to be long, but I'm curious to see the spin given the shape/profile and I'm also curious of the sound/feel.

More as soon as I can, but please feel free to jump in with some convo, I'd love to discuss YOUR thoughts on it.

Definitely has more of a fairway shape than a lot of other hybrids. Kind of reminds me of the old Adams Super Hybrid. Could see this being a good middle ground for those who teeter between a 5/7 wood and a hybrid.

• Staff
Definitely has more of a fairway shape than a lot of other hybrids. Kind of reminds me of the old Adams Super Hybrid. Could see this being a good middle ground for those who teeter between a 5/7 wood and a hybrid.

You know, thats a pretty good comp.

There is deffffffinitely some junk in the trunk going on here.

For the hybo, my first reaction was that a fairway wood and a hybrid had a baby.

That was my first thought when I saw the address picture - "almost like a fairway wood". Not necessarily my favorite look, but I'd give it a run in something like a 3 hybrid spot, where I'm hitting that off the tee more than I am the deck or rough.

Dang that headcover is bad. Club looks fine but definitely more fairway like.

I see the same lines, I had the Adams Super S 3h in my bag for a while. I hated the white so I flat blacked it out. Too bad I dont have any pics to share.

I don't know why, but I was surprised to see such a nice stock shaft offering, I guess I expected more of a generic.

I like it!

FINALLY got to hit this one a bit, tried to get some data, but, will have to give it a go again tomorrow as the repeating theme for me here today was left. I'm going to chalk it up to first go round and getting to know you before I'm willing to really call it that it wants to go left, so hang on with me there for a bit.

The sound is on the sharp side, but not as loud as I initially expected.

I will say again, the look is VERY throwback in terms of hybrid shapes, its much more a blend of a hybrid and fairway wood rather than what I am used to now. With the more shallow face it really responded best to a sweeping swing today, and I think me trying to get into that mindset is why my data was so left skewed. Going to give it another go tomorrow but I stand by believing that it will feel much more comfortable to those who sweep their hybrids as opposed to those who are ingrained to hit them like irons (down and through).

I'm not going to talk on forgiveness yet either, as I do want a little more time tomorrow. Sorry about that, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions!

I’ve got an update coming on this one in a bit, but I wanted to throw in the last two days I remedied the hooking issues when I committed to not taking as aggressive of a move down and through with the hybrid.

Why this little post though?

Ball speeds hit 142 at times.

Faster than my G410, similar spin, and it’s 1* higher lofted.

Very surprised at the distance, and spin, here.

Lynx Black Cat Hybrid - THP Review

To compare....

PING G410 22

134.8, 13.0, and 4470 RPM averages

Lynx Black Cat 23

138.9, 12.3, and 4554 RPM averages

Your results on performance are strangely similar what I'm seeing. I've been decently impressed with the irons and I like what I'm seeing from the hybrid. Lower launch, higher spin, more ball speed. Me like.

Your results on performance are strangely similar what I'm seeing. I've been decently impressed with the irons and I like what I'm seeing from the hybrid. Lower launch, higher spin, more ball speed. Me like.

The performance is definitely much more there than the aesthetics....especially the headcover Hahahaha

What I like, is because the ball speed is where it is, that launch is producing the 31+ yard peak I want to see from pretty much every club in my bag.

I definitely don’t know that I could game it, but, much of that is a shape and profile thing. I think there is definitely a segment who could do well with the shallower face and more deep front to back headshape though. Especially the sweepers of the world.

What do these cost ? And where can you buy them ?

I’m not sure of the stateside price at the moment, and am also unsure who will be distributing them.

Hey @JB do you have any insight?

I’m not sure of the stateside price at the moment, and am also unsure who will be distributing them.

Best info I could find was $190 for the hybrid but that could have changed.

We should have the info very soon. For some reason there is a real disconnect concerning their press copy and N. America : )

We should have the info very soon. For some reason there is a real disconnect concerning their press copy and N. America : )

Yeah, haha, I’ve noticed that!

Thank you!

Price will be $189.00 USD, they should have a US website up very soon and it looks like mid-July is their big US roll out.

Probably not....but I will wait to see more numbers from Jman. Looks like the cat may be out of the bag with this one.

Look is a little off for me, but the numbers are legit.

Probably not....but I will wait to see more numbers from Jman. Looks like the cat may be out of the bag with this one.

I mean...

IMG_0135-L.png

Hmmmm......Lynx is coming out of the gates with dream numbers....

Hmmmm......Lynx is coming out of the gates with dream numbers....

At 23* to boot.

It has kinda boggled my noggin a bit.

I know its a cup face design, so ball speed will be there, but I didn't anticipate the spin to be playable, usually there is a pretty decent trade off there (look at the distance monster hybrids some companies are putting out, SUPER ball speed, SUPER low spin too though).

The shape though is just going to 100% be ok with it or hate it. That's the kicker here.

Back