Callaway stock surges 13+%

Parrot

Down to the banana republics . . .
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

There's the tangible benefit of being Demonstrably Superior and Pleasingly Different. Congrats to the Callaway team.

Hmm, I don't know about the "strategic alternatives" part. For capital investment companies like Jana that usually means cost cutting.

Obviously callaway does a LOT of things the right way. It’s funny though, I feel like they’re the only brand where their staff is the first thing I picture - hashtag Chad, Finley, Doc hoc, etc.

Anyways, congrats to the entire callaway team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats Callaway! I’ve seen on here for a long enough time to know that they’re good folks and right on the cutting edge in their industry.

I learned a long time ago that if I’m surrounded by good people, I’ll be successful. If I’m not, it doesn’t matter what I do nor how hard I work, I won’t be.

So great people= fantastic results for Callaway. It’s not surprising.

Keep at it!

This doesn't look like a great thing for the current version of Callaway.

Read this excerpt from an article;

“Jana said it hopes to use its 9.22% stake, which was acquired as of June 3, to "exert negative control over the important corporate actions" of Callaway and propose new members to its board. Jana also said it may also wish to build a bigger stake, or completely acquire, the Carlsbad, California-based group. It may also move to sell it completely.”

Guess I don’t know enough about how this all works, but that paragraph above doesn’t sound the best

This doesn't look like a great thing for the current version of Callaway.
This is my thought as well, I mean the stock was up today but it didn't hit a high.
Plus I think this derails the companies current path of becoming a lifestyle brand.
Could easily see someone come in and sell off parts of the business that Callaway just acquired and hoped to nurture.

There are only a few people I. There that would have any clue what any of this could mean for the brand based solely on their own opinions. Finley, JB, DomChu...

Read this excerpt from an article;

“Jana said it hopes to use its 9.22% stake, which was acquired as of June 3, to "exert negative control over the important corporate actions" of Callaway and propose new members to its board. Jana also said it may also wish to build a bigger stake, or completely acquire, the Carlsbad, California-based group. It may also move to sell it completely.”

Guess I don’t know enough about how this all works, but that paragraph above doesn’t sound the best

That is generic language from a news release anybody has to put out once they acquire a large block of a company's stock. They have to state intentions, and because they don't know yet, they say they might buy more, they might sell some, they might bully the company around, etc. Doubt that they want to buy the company.

Maybe a couple steps short of a corporate raider and mildly more palatable than taking money from a VC....

Wow, I didn’t know that my iron set purchase last week would help the company so much.

Looks like the investors think Callaway screwed up buying Jack Wolfskin and possibly OGIO and Travis Matthew and that the company should stay focused on their core business of golf. They seem to especially be targeting the Jack Wolfskin purchase and wanting the company to sell that asset as it doesn't match Callaway's business at all and Wolfskin is performing poorly and weighing down Callaway earnings.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2019/06/14/new-york-activist-investor-is-taking-a-swing-at.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Looks like the investors think Callaway screwed up buying Jack Wolfskin and possibly OGIO and Travis Matthew and that the company should stay focused on their core business of golf. They seem to especially be targeting the Jack Wolfskin purchase and wanting the company to sell that asset as it doesn't match Callaway's business at all and Wolfskin is performing poorly and weighing down Callaway earnings.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2019/06/14/new-york-activist-investor-is-taking-a-swing-at.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Good. Maybe if they sell we will see the Silencer bag return to the lineup!

Back