Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrid - THP Review Thread

I am pondering a pair of these to replace my 21* and 24* J40's. Jman's review and the feedback in here are awesome, somehow this one flew under the radar for me. Hoping to be able to hit it at my local shop and do some comparison.

Sounds like a couple of you guys also have J15's, how would you compare this club to the J15 in forgiveness, distance, etc? I'm thinking I would go 19* and 22* to replace my 21* and 24* and hopefully pick up a couple yards in each spot.

I play both the j15 and ex9 hybrids and based on my experience, I find them similar in forgiveness. I actually see a high ball flight with the ex9 while the j15 is a tad lower.

Candidly, if the J15 was offered in a 5h, I would be playing it instead of the ex9. I like it that much. But the ex9 gives me consistency and is very reliable. With its high ball flight, it's easy to stick greens. The sole does its job and it's easy to hit out of the rough.

TEE can't go wrong...

I am pondering a pair of these to replace my 21* and 24* J40's. Jman's review and the feedback in here are awesome, somehow this one flew under the radar for me. Hoping to be able to hit it at my local shop and do some comparison.

Sounds like a couple of you guys also have J15's, how would you compare this club to the J15 in forgiveness, distance, etc? I'm thinking I would go 19* and 22* to replace my 21* and 24* and hopefully pick up a couple yards in each spot.

The TE for me has a stock ust recoil and the j15 has an aldila tour green. Both launch pretty low for me with the j15 probably a little lower. Forgiveness is pretty similar for me.

On pure shots i'm 10 yds longer with the TE than the j15, both are pretty forgiving I hit the j15 better, but it's been in the bag longer.

This thing has some gorgeous lines all the way around. Not a big fan of the sole but no one see the sole so no big deal. Would definitely love to compare it to my current 2hy (gaming) and 3hy (not gaming).

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sole is definitely funny looking but for me me its the best club out of thick rough and really think that is due to the sole, from tight lies it's great too.

I play both the j15 and ex9 hybrids and based on my experience, I find them similar in forgiveness. I actually see a high ball flight with the ex9 while the j15 is a tad lower.

Candidly, if the J15 was offered in a 5h, I would be playing it instead of the ex9. I like it that much. But the ex9 gives me consistency and is very reliable. With its high ball flight, it's easy to stick greens. The sole does its job and it's easy to hit out of the rough.

Agreed I would probably lean more toward more j15 in my bag than TE but it's close, i would be interested in putting the tour green in the TE

Great feedback PGG and OITW. This is definitely on the list to try, hopefully it fits the gap I'm looking at!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The TE for me has a stock ust recoil and the j15 has an aldila tour green. Both launch pretty low for me with the j15 probably a little lower. Forgiveness is pretty similar for me.

On pure shots i'm 10 yds longer with the TE than the j15, both are pretty forgiving I hit the j15 better, but it's been in the bag longer.

The sole is definitely funny looking but for me me its the best club out of thick rough and really think that is due to the sole, from tight lies it's great too.

Agreed I would probably lean more toward more j15 in my bag than TE but it's close, i would be interested in putting the tour green in the TE

This guy has been killing his EX9 so far this season in the rounds I've played with him. Impressive club.

Hit this and the E8 Beta yesterday. I'll be honest and say I didn't love them. I really like the looks and feel, but they were actually shorter for my than my J40 and they definitely had a propensity to hook more so than other clubs I hit. The E8 Beta I felt was a little better, but I definitely like the look of the EX9 more. Very forgiving in both cases when it came to launch however.

OITW - Considering swapping out my JGR 5i for a EX9 4h. Almost the same loft 21 vs. 22 but most importantly, same shaft as my JGR's (Little Lighter 460 vs. 470) but not as heavy as the JGR 4h (85).
Wondering if you still like the club and would recommend it.

OITW - Considering swapping out my JGR 5i for a EX9 4h. Almost the same loft 21 vs. 22 but most importantly, same shaft as my JGR's (Little Lighter 460 vs. 470) but not as heavy as the JGR 4h (85).
Wondering if you still like the club and would recommend it.

I think it's a fantastic club, it does what I ask of it. If you had me pick between my J15 3h and this one though it would be really tough for me to pick.

Done - 4h coming my way - I had shot the other day that just screamed a hybrid and not having one really handcuffed me. Living close to TEE main office, it's easy for me to demo their clubs and have had them in the bag in the past. Looking forward to getting in the bag and having the same shaft as my irons is a real bonus.

I think it's a fantastic club, it does what I ask of it. If you had me pick between my J15 3h and this one though it would be really tough for me to pick.

I see that your tweet about this club made it in a Tour Edge Promotional E-mail - Received yesterday.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread. I picked up a tour 2h (16°) for cheap, mainly to test the kbs hybrid shaft. It came with recoil es 780 f4. When hit in the monitor at pga ss, I got consistent 230 with very consistent flight. Out on course today I hit a 259yd uphill approach. I wanted to see if I could get 260 to 265 out of this club and it performed beautifully. Now I have a weapon for short par 4s and long approaches on par 5s. So depending on course I'll likely swap this and apex 3h in and out. Not the most forgiving hybrid compared to what's out in the market, but it's playing as a great 2i replacement

Oldie but a goodie? This one won out on looks alone yesterday. Then a text to jman confirmed it's a good one. Ironically enough my search last night led me to his review thread here from 2015.

Hope to have myself in several opportunities to use the new 4h today. Sets up extremely well at address and stock shaft is a good fit for me. More to come....at $100 I couldn't say no and may add the 5h depending on how the experiment goes.

Oldie but a goodie? This one won out on looks alone yesterday. Then a text to jman confirmed it's a good one. Ironically enough my search last night led me to his review thread here from 2015.

Hope to have myself in several opportunities to use the new 4h today. Sets up extremely well at address and stock shaft is a good fit for me. More to come....at $100 I couldn't say no and may add the 5h depending on how the experiment goes.

Check out Budget Golf. They have clearing them out and they do a 20% off sale every so once in a while on Twitter or Instagram.

Or you could use the THP coupon for 15% anytime too.

OITW has one of these and I've really enjoyed hitting it every time I have. Better off the deck than the tee - I agree on the recoil shaft.

Check out Budget Golf. They have clearing them out and they do a 20% off sale every so once in a while on Twitter or Instagram.

They don't have a 5 in stiff currently...unfortunately.

Well first day on the course with this one today. Had a chance to hit on first hole and hit it well, I pushed it right about 15 yards but ball flight was high. Second shot with it (3rd hole - par 3) and again high and right. While I didn't like the pushes the good was that even with a high flight it was still getting yardage that I would expect - around 185 - 190.

Didn't have another chance to hit it until the 12th hole when I dropped 3 balls from 188. First 2 were barely off right edge of green just shy of pin high and 3rd was on a rail dead at the flag and ended up 20 feet behind flag. Hit again on the par 3 17th and while I tugged it a tad it didn't take off hard left like my driver was all day.

Summary? High flight but maintains it's line very well and getting yardage I would expect. Last shot was on the 18th where I caught it off the toe badly (photo upcoming in next post from phone) and it ended up around 8 yards left of green just past pin high. I'm definitely impressed with the ease of hitting and forgiveness. If there are any folks that struggle elevating a hybrid I would say this is a fantastic option (not a problem I have hence why I thought ball flight was so high). 5 hybrid will be in hand soon.

Toe miss from 18:

c6d5c1a24a032c2fe91ebcf2cdfc8a58.jpg

Really glad I picked this one up. Just easy to hit with what I would consider a higher ball flight. Seeing about 190 or so from the 4 hybrid which is a good 10 yards further than I'm used to in that slot. Currently don't have a 5h or 5i in the bag so trying to see if I can use this to bridge the gap from 6i to 4h. I don't try to work the ball much but was able to put a nice draw on one today where I had to go around some tree limbs....only issue was it going longer than I needed but that's just a learning experience. If I can't cover the gap then I'll be adding the 5h in this model and dropping a club from the bag (likely 2i even though I hit some great tee balls on a few shorter holes today with it - plus it's my punch out club.

Really glad I picked this one up. Just easy to hit with what I would consider a higher ball flight. Seeing about 190 or so from the 4 hybrid which is a good 10 yards further than I'm used to in that slot. Currently don't have a 5h or 5i in the bag so trying to see if I can use this to bridge the gap from 6i to 4h. I don't try to work the ball much but was able to put a nice draw on one today where I had to go around some tree limbs....only issue was it going longer than I needed but that's just a learning experience. If I can't cover the gap then I'll be adding the 5h in this model and dropping a club from the bag (likely 2i even though I hit some great tee balls on a few shorter holes today with it - plus it's my punch out club.

Glad you're enjoying it, still one of the top 3 hybrids I've ever gamed

Have any of you EX9 Hybrid players hit the Cobra F7 Hybrid? How would you compare the EX9 wavy rails vs the straight rails on the F7 for getting through the rough?

Have a 4 and 5 heading my way. I like the D200's, but wanted to diversify the bag a bit. The flex is a bit weak (driver swing speed of ~95, Recoils are F2 flex) but I don't think it'll hurt my game too much. Excited to get these in hand and see how the SlipStream sole works for myself.

Took just a couple of swings with my 5H and early results are promising. I did notice a lower ball flight than my D200's, and it starts lower before climbing. I was worried about having the F2 flex in them, but I think it'll work well as long as I keep my tempo under control. Not sure what distance is yet, but I'll hopefully know soon enough.

Back