U. S. Open 2019: 1 min 30 secs to read putt!?!

OnePuttLarry

Reaction score
Watching the U.S. Open today from Pebble Beach and one of the Tour players & his caddy take one minute 30 seconds to read a 10’ putt...may have been more like 2 minutes.
Evidently, no pace-of-play rule when it comes to reading a putt?
Any thoughts?

Watching the U.S. Open today from Pebble Beach and one of the Tour players & his caddy take one minute 30 seconds to read a 10’ putt...may have been more like 2 minutes.
Evidently, no pace-of-play rule when it comes to reading a putt?
Any thoughts?

I would have read it, putted, read it again putted and then knocked my third putt past and then tap in my 4th in less than 45 seconds.

If they start during someone else’s turn, I see no issue

So would it have been 1 minute with the greens book or 2 minutes?

This is why I prefer to start watching on about a 45 minute tape delay. The second I see dawdling, I just hit FF until they take their stance. So I actually don't realize how long people take.

The greens at Pebble are tough to read, after a couple of minutes trying to read the putt I hit it firm and straight, usually leaving myself a 10' one back.

and hence part of the greens pace issue out in our worlds of casual amateur golf among the masses of us. The ball lines, and pins pullings, the pick up mark and clean on every putt, the waiting for 100% your turn before doing anything at all towards having anything ready, walk the green from 3 different angles, pull the glove, clear the green of anything, fix every imperfection, wipe the hands, scrub the ball, take a shower, clip toe nails, piss, fart, burp, etc,etc.. But dont worry as none of it takes any time at all. And then complain about someone being on the wrong tees. :alien:

Seems OK to me for a pro tournament, that's the wonderful thing about golf, if you don't want to watch that player read a putt you can watch another tee off, or chip, etc. so what's the problem?

This is why I prefer to start watching on about a 45 minute tape delay. The second I see dawdling, I just hit FF until they take their stance. So I actually don't realize how long people take.

The DVR is the greatest invention ever for watching sports on TV!!! It has gotten where I don't watch any sports on TV without some "tape delay", so I can FF past that kind of stuff in golf, all the stupid celebrations in football, and of course the commercials.

The DVR is the greatest invention ever for watching sports on TV!!! It has gotten where I don't watch any sports on TV without some "tape delay", so I can FF past that kind of stuff in golf, all the stupid celebrations in football, and of course the commercials.

Wait a minute, you mean people actually watched golf on TV before the DVR was invented? Inconceivable!

About the only no-DVR-required sport I can think of is soccer.

I watch all my NHL on NHL network and start them 45 min after start. I'll almost catch up near the end, but no commercials, no intermissions. Since I cut the cable cord I really cannot handle commercials anymore.

I was watching it on DVR and fast forwarded twice and the guy & his caddy still reading his putt!!!

How about: Tour players need to be on a “Shot Clock” like the NBA, rather a “Putt Clock” & have to putt within 30 seconds when it’s their turn to putt. If the golfer takes longer than 30 seconds to stroke their putt, then penalized one stroke! :)

How about: Tour players need to be on a “Shot Clock” like the NBA, rather a “Putt Clock” & have to putt within 30 seconds when it’s their turn to putt. If the golfer takes longer than 30 seconds to stroke their putt, then penalized one stroke! :)

Its not at all just putting. As much as like him....ever watch Jason "ALL" Day? Its painful.

I think they should wear wires and be shocked if they take too long. A good 3phase 460V. Im certain from cameras above it will look like popcorn on the course.

Last edited:
And THAT is why that foursome ahead of you takes forever over that 3 footer for an 8 that might be worth a quarter. “Pros do it.., why not me?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not at all just putting. As much as like him....ever watch Jason "ALL" Day? Its painful.

I think they should wear wires and be shocked if they take too long. A good 3phase 460V. Im certain from cameras above it will look like popcorn on the course.

Too good!!!

And THAT is why that foursome ahead of you takes forever over that 3 footer for an 8 that might be worth a quarter. “Pros do it.., why not me?”

yes but remember. Nothing anyone does ever takes too long when its their turn. Its always what everyone else does.:alien:

yes but remember. Nothing anyone does ever takes too long when its their turn. Its always what everyone else does.:alien:

That goes without saying...

Back