Is there a negative stigma associated with playing golf with used golf balls?

davidwilliams

Reaction score
Handicap
Is there a negative stigma associated with playing golf with used golf balls? Why or why not?

All golf balls are used after the first shot.

Golf is different for every person. Some get they're kicks by playing high dollar courses with the latest clubs and expensive balls. Some just love the game and play with decades old clubs and balls found on the muni. There is no right or wrong here, what is best for you?

I would not worry in the least what others think about your choice of balls. There is always someone who will have something to say about what you wear, how you mark your ball, what shoes you wear after the round etc. Make sure you remove your hat when you shake hands on the 18th green or you may offend some poor soul.

Do what you do and hold your head high. Welcome to THP.

who cares? I use to buy and use nothing but used balls.

However I have now developed a stubbornness towards used balls. In fact for whatever the crazy reasons I will not use even a slightly scuffed ball even if it was always mine. I will not use a found ball even if its the same ball i play, a discolored ball, etc,etc. I will only use my own purchased new balls until they develop a scuff or get discolored or fo course lose it. There really is no legitimate reasoning for this except that its what makes me feel right.

But I have no issue with nor can i see anyone have any issue with used balls nor frown on anyone who uses them. If they do then thats their problem. Maybe one day I would go back to buying them. But even when i did buy them i would still only use my own and never anything i found. Theres that crazy pet peeve of mine again that makes little sense. lol

Used clubs, old clubs, knock off clubs , used balls, whatever the case, who cares? All that matters is what you want to do. There is a lot of money to be saved and it counts. as long as its ok in your mind, nothing else matters. whats a stigma? life is too short to worry about egos and what others think. I use iron covers and many people have a stigma about that. I could care less. I had knock off clubs (not fakes or counterfeits but legitimate clones if you will) for years and id do it again as they were great clubs. Who cares about stigmas except egos. And I dont give a crap about egos. Im aging too fast and life is too short. Used balls is a good smart move imo (if its what one wants). i always proudly played them. My game wasnt anything to be proud of but thats another story..lol

I don't pay any attention to what golf ball anybody I play with is using, until I'm helping them find it, if necessary.

I don't always start a round with a new ball, either. Some of mine look rougher than any recycled ball but still work fine. I can chunk an old one as good as I can a new one.

Is there a negative stigma associated with playing golf with used golf balls? Why or why not?

Any golf equipment "stigmas" can be eliminated by shooting par golf.

Is there such a thing as a positive stigma?

I don't care what people play.

I don't care what kind of balls anyone uses except for myself, there is no negativity associated with a used golf ball

I have never considered whether my opponents ball has been around the course or not. Heck if I can keep one in play that long I am feeling pretty good about life. Stigmas are self induced. I dont care what someone else thinks about a ball.

There will always be some to judge. Used balls, non-tour balls, colored balls... but most don't care either way. Play what you like and choose and never second guess yourself for those actions. This game has enough things to focus on and others opinions shouldn't be one of them. Be respectful of the game and other players and enjoy!

Play what you like and works for you. I have never got the judging someone over their equipment. That stigma is something that needs to fade quickly with golf, we even see it on here which is the most welcoming group of golfers I have ever met. As long as you are enjoying the game, that is all that matters.

Some might think so, but personally I don't care. Play what you want, and I will do the same.

I don't know about a stigma, but I think we all love playing a nice new ball, who wouldn't? so if you can afford to what's the problem?

I buy new and recycled balls, usually start a round with a new one and if I lose it I pull a used one, and another, and sadly another....

The best player I know pretty much only plays used balls he finds on the course, I've never seen him open a new sleeve.

I don't buy used but quite often tee up the same ball for 3 or 4 straight rounds. Use it until I deem it no longer usable due to the cover.

I don't care about what other people use in the least. I will play a found ball if it is something i haven't used before and see how it plays. I found a red Volvik the other day and played it until it went to a watery grave.

I wouldn’t even known if someone had used balls or not. Either way, doesn’t make a difference to me.

I started playing used balls this year and have had a good experience with it.

Welcome to THP. I don't worry about the ball someone else is using. Used ones and new ones will go in the water the same.

I will not buy used golf balls, but, I will use golf balls I find(usually, found, while, I am searching for my ball). No one I know has any qualms about using used golf balls.

I love used golf balls. If you play Titleist, they own lostgolfballs.com so you can always get good deals on their balls at that site.

I buy AAAAA used Bridgestones all the time off ebay. They basically have the use of being played 1-2 holes on them. I get them for less than $1 Canadian per ball with shipping included if I watch for deals.
I don't care that they are slightly used, just that they are all the same type of ball.
I have 100's of random sleeves of balls from work at home that sit on the shelf, but they are all different so don't get used. Same as found balls as they are all different, they sit on my shelf at home.

Only recommendation I would give is to never buy reconditioned, or refinished golf balls, only AAAA, or AAAAA used ones.

Makes no neverminds to me... play what makes you happy. Used? good by me. Purple? good by me.

I haven't bought a golf ball in over 5 years.

There's a guy at my church...a retired guy that used to golf. His hobby is walking the edges of the course shagging balls.

Every Summer I get HUNDREDS that he picks up. He's happy to give them to someone that will use them.

And I'm a cheapskate, so it's a Win-Win.

I don't think there is a negative stigma from other players, at least for the majority.

There has been a push by manufacturers for customers to understand that it might not be the best option for performance based on what submersion in water can do to a ball even after a short period of time. The majority of used balls that are sold have been recovered from water.

Now that there are quality direct to consumer options, used doesn't seem like a value for me anymore.

Back