40s, golf, fitness, aches and pains?

You might think it sounds ridiculous but too much sleep increases the aches and pains as you get older. I took 4+ years off because I had an issue with a bulging disk in my back. The PT, then chiropractor told me to stay away from the gym, cardio and the golf course until the pain went away. After three years of inactivity, just therapy, I wasn’t improving, actually the bad days seemed to be getting worse. I quit the therapy and started back at the gym, strengthening my core muscles, my shoulders, my neck and knees. I also figured out that i only need 5-5 1/2 hours sleep per night. if I slept longer than 5 1/2 hours, it took much longer to recover. Next was getting back on the course. The first year was painful after playing 18 and recovery was 2-3 days. Now, I can play 18, go home and do yard work and play with the kids and am fine. So I stick to 3-4 days at the gym per week and about 5 hours of sleep per day. I’m turning 50 this year, I still have arthritis in my back, but the pain is only minimal and golf isn’t painful.

Almost 40, but with a bad back/bulging disk as well. That advice you got from your PT is awful. Obviously, power lifting is out, but general exercise -- some running, hard walking, stairs, anything that strengthens and engages the core -- is great for disk issues. At least it is for me.

I find yoga to be really good for golf/back-related aches. I also don't particularly like going to yoga classes. Thinking of finding a good Youtube/video-based yoga workout I can do on my own early in the morning, that's focused on strength and stretching.

I suppose I am lucky. I am 64, walk 18 holes nearly everyday, and rarely experience aches and pains.

Two years younger, but similar. I don't think it is luck though--at least mostly. I played 45 holes inside of 48 hours this weekend. After all that only mild soreness that ended overnight. That didn't happen by accident.

Ten years ago I literally had to pull myself up stairs. This after being very active most of my life. I'd been working like crazy starting new businesses (yes plural). Finally got off that treadmill and got serious about prescriptive exercise and nutrition. Lots of soreness for the first few years. But eventually paid off big time!

Dropped 25 pounds. No more tenderness in the knees or anywhere else. Everything works again. At this point, playing golf and carrying my bag on mountain courses is a way to work out any soreness from being in the gym. My doctor and dentist both say if they didn't know better the blood draws, general health and other indications they get from me are what they'd expect to see from a healthy 35-year-old.

There are lots of keys to health. But I think the most significant one is this: You either fight for your health or you give up. That's the most important decision each of us has to make.

39 year old here. I lift 2 times a week and do hard cardio 2 times a week. I do deep tissue stretching for about 20 minutes after all those workouts. I honestly think the stretching does the most good. Before a round of golf I think doing some bodyweight squats and jumping jacks does about as good a job as anything to get the blood flowing. Maybe 10 squats and 10 Jack's 3 times through, a few quick stretches and I am usually good to hit.

I'm early 40's, and so what I am reading from your guys posts is that just get used to the aches and soreness as it is life now.

Will be 60 in a couple months. Ten months ago dropped alcohol, eat what I want when I want, dropped 35 pounds, sleep better, feel like a million bucks.

Being almost 72 I used to joke about the fact that I wake up in the morning and everything hurt, and what didn't hurt didn't work! Actually, other than arthritis in the knees that led to both knees being replaced in 2014, and recently some lower back/sciatica issues which is due to arthritis in the lower spine, I have no other particular aches and pains. When it is CPO I do get a little leg weary by the end of the round but that's about it. I play 5 days / week, weather permitting, year 'round, and other than that don't work out or exercise. Maybe it is just genetics playing a part in one's aches and pains and when they start to become intrusive?

I'm 46, I used to feel like I went 12 rounds with Tyson after a round. Last couple years I have been working on making me swing more effortless (I always felt I was swinging too hard). I also have been working out, but the biggest change was after this winter. Really worked on loosening my grip and making my release more effortless. I don't get sore anymore

I'm about to turn 40. No aches or pains yet but from everyone I play with this is inevitable.

Does anyone have a great stretching routine that you can do everyday (not a pre round warm up) for about 10 to 15 minutes that would help with club head speed as well as start protecting the back and joints?

I turned 40 last December and decided NOW is the time to train for a marathon, haha. I remember the days when I could run a few miles and not need much recovery time but geez now I get up in the morning and it takes some time to "loosen" up. Just part of it now I suppose but man do I feel good after I have finished the run for the day. Other than the running being a little harder on me because of my weight difference from years ago I don't really have any other pains.

I'm about to turn 40. No aches or pains yet but from everyone I play with this is inevitable.

Does anyone have a great stretching routine that you can do everyday (not a pre round warm up) for about 10 to 15 minutes that would help with club head speed as well as start protecting the back and joints?

I'm 43 and just starting to get into the everyday aches and pains. Check out GMB Fitness:

https://gmb.io

I'm not associated with them other than being a big fan of their programs for several years. They have a unique approach to fitness that helps people maximize their capabilities at any age and ability. One of their programs is called Focused Flexibility, and I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

What swing thoughts or teachings have you worked on that is proving less effort?

I'm 46, I used to feel like I went 12 rounds with Tyson after a round. Last couple years I have been working on making me swing more effortless (I always felt I was swinging too hard). I also have been working out, but the biggest change was after this winter. Really worked on loosening my grip and making my release more effortless. I don't get sore anymore

https://youtu.be/HCTunqv1Xt4

Hit 64 this month, and am as fit as I need to be...I play 3 times a week, walking, and sometimes more. Since we lost our dog, my wife and I try to walk every day for at least a hour. Bad knee due to soccer, bad back due to squash are the only injuries brought forward from playing sport all my life. Monthly visits to the chiropractor, occasional bursts of visiting the gym, usually when the weight goes over 180 lb's.

The effort you put into your health in your forties will determine the happiness with your health in your 60's. Invest in your body, and the dividends will come.

If you want to get fit for your grandchildren, get a dog.

55, low-level pain in hands, other spots is just a given with my family history of arthritis. C'est la vie.

Can't speak for over 40 but at 32 I sure feel like I have the aches of a 40 year old.

I workout 4 days a week. See a chiropractor. Golf 1-2 days a week.

The soreness the day after a round of golf is dumb. I do a stupid looking stretch of all body parts before the round to get loosened up, apply IcyHot to my lower back, and pop an advil before the round. Personally I think this is excessive for someone of my age but it's what I have to do.

The following day after a round of Golf my legs and back are sore, which is pathetic. If I were to play again that following day I might up the dosage to 2 Advil before the round and stretch for a few minutes longer than usual.

I think I take care of my body but if this is now what's 45 going to be!? Haha

Being almost 72 I play 5 days / week, weather permitting, year 'round, and other than that don't work out or exercise.
That's impressive.

Once this year I played like 3 rounds in 4 days. By the 3rd round I was sore, lazy, fatigue, and wanted to end the round before it started but I made the drive so I was in it to win in it.

I played Saturday at a small course and Sunday at a big course and it wasn't until Tuesday where I felt ok.

A full day recovery and seeing a massage therapist after a weekend of golf(save your Japanese Spa jokes) is pretty sad but I just shrug my shoulders and deal with it haha.

I'm only 35. I have two kiddos. I golf 2-3 rounds every week. I squat, deadlift, press, and bench press every week with progressively heavier weights. Other than some general morning tightness in my back, I am pain free.

I am of the unabashed opinion that getting stronger by lifting progressively heavier weights with basic barbell movements is the best way to get rid of aches and pains. But it's also hard work.

I'm only 35. I have two kiddos. I golf 2-3 rounds every week. I squat, deadlift, press, and bench press every week with progressively heavier weights. Other than some general morning tightness in my back, I am pain free.

I am of the unabashed opinion that getting stronger by lifting progressively heavier weights with basic barbell movements is the best way to get rid of aches and pains. But it's also hard work.

Having begun to do this myself I am of like mind. I used to gimp around pretty badly due to some hip pain and executing these movements (though moving much less mass), the hip issues have diminished noticeably.

I'm 45, never workout. Sports is my exercise. Last time I lifted weights I lifted them from my basement to my shed for storage.

I walk 100 rounds in the summer. Really only a little left shoulder pain from a rotator cuff injury but I'm still fairly flexible. I've dropped 6 notches on my belt this summer so far. 8 last year. I don't feel comfortable until the 3rd hole if I don't warm up with a bucket. I'm really only sore from golf if I golf 27 or more holes in a day. Usually golf 5-6 times per week.

But when playing slow pitch in the summer, and hockey in the winter, I have to stretch, or I injure myself. Recurring groin, and hamstring injuries always come back without a stretch.

I think my job slinging drywall when I was younger made my back super strong, and it has remained so since.

Only real pain I get is when I fall asleep on the couch, and kink my neck, lol. And hangovers hurt at least twice what they used to, haha.

I'm 45, never workout. Sports is my exercise. Last time I lifted weights I lifted them from my basement to my shed for storage.

I walk 100 rounds in the summer. Really only a little left shoulder pain from a rotator cuff injury but I'm still fairly flexible. I've dropped 6 notches on my belt this summer so far. 8 last year. I don't feel comfortable until the 3rd hole if I don't warm up with a bucket. I'm really only sore from golf if I golf 27 or more holes in a day. Usually golf 5-6 times per week.

But when playing slow pitch in the summer, and hockey in the winter, I have to stretch, or I injure myself. Recurring groin, and hamstring injuries always come back without a stretch.

I think my job slinging drywall when I was younger made my back super strong, and it has remained so since.

Only real pain I get is when I fall asleep on the couch, and kink my neck, lol. And hangovers hurt at least twice what they used to, haha.

I friggin hate the couch kink!

Having begun to do this myself I am of like mind. I used to gimp around pretty badly due to some hip pain and executing these movements (though moving much less mass), the hip issues have diminished noticeably.
I am of the strong belief that the mere act of "training" makes the body better. I don't think anybody needs to squat 405lbs to be pain free, but I do belief that a systematic and intelligently applied plan to get the squat as strong as possible will help the person be pain free. I am also of the belief that training and exercise are not the same thing. Movement for movement's sake isn't a bad thing, but so with a plan for improvement is better. Keep on getting stronger, great work.

Dan Millman's Body Mind Mastery may be a resource for some checking in here. A good one to re-read every few years.

Back