40s, golf, fitness, aches and pains?

pilot25

Reaction score
Handicap
Late 40s age, workout pretty hard every day. Cardio, core, and weights. Work with a trainer once a week. I also eat relatively healthy. Still have aches and pains after a round or after a couple hour range session. I took off 2 years from the game. I warm up before each time out and practice or play 3 times a week. Left shoulder, mid-back, chest always are sore. No pain but really sore. Working on getting my shoulder under my chin this year and firing the hips through on the downswing. I used to be able to turn my shoulder about 100-110 degrees if I wanted to now I'm fighting to get it to 90. 2 years off from golf has really changed my flexibility in that specific move. I don't mind practicing and working on my swing but the aches and pains are really getting annoying.

My trainer isn't a golfer but is willing to research and develop golf specific exercises. I'm not so interested in that as full body exercises should cover anything golf related. We concentrate on general physical fitness with my personal goal of completing the "Murph Challenge" in a year. (You can look that up if you are interested)

Any advice? I'm adverse to pharmaceuticals.

48 yo here. Active and workout....but I am 48, so I have aches and pains. No way around it except for a little longer recovery, be as healthy as possible and minimize stress & avoid unnecessary wear and tear to your body. I do Yoga 2x a week to help with flexibility.

48 yo here. Active and workout....but I am 48, so I have aches and pains. No way around it except for a little longer recovery, be as healthy as possible and minimize stress & avoid unnecessary wear and tear to your body. I do Yoga 2x a week to help with flexibility.

I wish my friends who are the same age say the same as you and I. Maybe they are just being tough guys but they never say anything about aches and pains.

Its frustrating. I work a lot of weekends so I'd like to drop the kid off to school, during the year, then hit the range for hours. No chance I can do that right now.

I wish my friends who are the same age say the same as you and I. Maybe they are just being tough guys but they never say anything about aches and pains.

Its frustrating. I work a lot of weekends so I'd like to drop the kid off to school, during the year, then hit the range for hours. No chance I can do that right now.

I think your friends are full of crap or they are genetic mutants. I think I feel a lot less discomfort than a lot of my friends, although a lot of them are big tubs of goo that don’t move unless it is to the fridge or couch. Just keep moving and the gears loosen up.

I'm 45. I wake up, I hurt. I golf, I smile. repeat.

I just turned 40 and workout pretty regularly (running, beach VB, etc), I'm in pain pretty much daily. I'm trying to eat a bit healthier to reduce inflammation and I think it's helping some, going to start trying some supplements as well, like krill oil. Some days I wonder how I'm going to be in my 60s and 70s if I feel like this now though.

43 and took 6 years away from clubs. Getting back into it has been a series of various pains, but goes away as that area gets a little more used and strengthens. Still have a lot of soreness on my sides after 18, but figure it is worth it. 20 years of abusing my body certainly took its toll, but found out that 2 years of inactivity made that worse. Just listen to your body, just like working out, it will tell you the difference between good pain and bad.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Just keep moving and the gears loosen up.

Probably the best advice. It is also exactly what Gary Player said on the ForePlay Podcast a few weeks ago. He looks pretty good too for his age.

Up until 6-8 months ago I did pretty much zero exercising. I was concentrating on another sport that didn't require too much movement. Now I'm the exact opposite and am 5 days a week 1 hour a day workout. Lost a couple belt notches of fat. I think the difference is I stretch a lot before and after a workout. I stretch before hitting balls or playing but never after and probably not enough before. Maybe that would help.

Is there any specific exercises to do, before playing, that people do? How long do you do it for before starting to hit balls? I just kinda try and loosen my shoulders and back but I don't think I'm doing the right movements.

I'm 50 and this is hashtag is what I use and say (often) to all of my over 40yo Crossift members.

#livesore.

Just have to embrace it my friend.

+1
CC.jpg

#livesore. Just have to embrace it my friend.

Yikes. I hear this far more than I want to. Guess I'll just have to deal.

I wish I did more working out in my 20s and 30s. Unfortunately, I drank beer and ran around with the boys every other night instead.

Early 50's and I see a chiropractor about once a month, I make sure to stretch before every round. I do get some exercise everyday as I do a lot of walking around the lot. I try to walk quite a few rounds, but do ride quite often too. I know you said no pharms but I take Aleve before every round keeps the arches down in the elbow and elsewhere.
Search Youtube, there are a lot of quick simple easy stretching videos for golf. If you have Twitter follow The Fit Golfer Girl, she has some great stretching exercises.

Early 50's and I see a chiropractor about once a month, I make sure to stretch before every round. I do get some exercise everyday as I do a lot of walking around the lot. I try to walk quite a few rounds, but do ride quite often too. I know you said no pharms but I take Aleve before every round keeps the arches down in the elbow and elsewhere.
Search Youtube, there are a lot of quick simple easy stretching videos for golf. If you have Twitter follow The Fit Golfer Girl, she has some great stretching exercises.

I don't do Twitter or social media at all but she has a interesting thing on foam rolling 30 minutes before a round, on youtube. I foam roll before a workout but it is impractical before golf. Where would you do it? In the parking lot? I guess if you are a member of a nice country club with a workout building it would be easy or if you lived within minutes of the course.

I don't do Twitter or social media at all but she has a interesting thing on foam rolling 30 minutes before a round, on youtube. I foam roll before a workout but it is impractical before golf. Where would you do it? In the parking lot? I guess if you are a member of a nice country club with a workout building it would be easy or if you lived within minutes of the course.

I'm 30 minutes to my course, so I do most of my stretching at home beforehand. I get what you are saying about the foam roll and not having a place to do it at course. But hey it would be a good conversation starter!!!!

I would really suggest seeing a good chiropractor, you would be surprised by how much pain and soreness you can have by just being out of alignment. They are cheap cost wise,(I pay $25 a visit) and well worth it.

You might think it sounds ridiculous but too much sleep increases the aches and pains as you get older. I took 4+ years off because I had an issue with a bulging disk in my back. The PT, then chiropractor told me to stay away from the gym, cardio and the golf course until the pain went away. After three years of inactivity, just therapy, I wasn’t improving, actually the bad days seemed to be getting worse. I quit the therapy and started back at the gym, strengthening my core muscles, my shoulders, my neck and knees. I also figured out that i only need 5-5 1/2 hours sleep per night. if I slept longer than 5 1/2 hours, it took much longer to recover. Next was getting back on the course. The first year was painful after playing 18 and recovery was 2-3 days. Now, I can play 18, go home and do yard work and play with the kids and am fine. So I stick to 3-4 days at the gym per week and about 5 hours of sleep per day. I’m turning 50 this year, I still have arthritis in my back, but the pain is only minimal and golf isn’t painful.

I suppose I am lucky. I am 64, walk 18 holes nearly everyday, and rarely experience aches and pains.

I'm at the stage when I wake up and if I don't see candles, smell incense or hear prayer chants, I'm happy! JK, still have the occasional aches, but manage to play at least 4-5 times per week with 3 of them being actual money games. I'm fortunate and count my blessings every day.

47. My daughter asked me to do handstands with her last night. Did 1. Nailed it. Woke up this morning and can barely move my right shoulder. Son of a...

Now that I have some additional motivation to get in better shape(THP Championship) Monday I will go back to the YMCA and reinstate my membership.
I know there will be a lot of pain but at 60 it will no longer be power lifting but cardio and light weights and a lot of swimming. I need to lose 15 lbs anyway so now is a good time to get on it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I just turned 45 I am quite active and fit and have a physically demanding job. I came off a lower back surgery 3 years ago and when I began golfing again my instructor rebuilt my swing. That took a long time to get used to. He turned me on to Titleist performance institute. They have free golf specific online videos of exercises and stretches that I use everyday. I wake up sore everyday, that’s my life now. I don’t hold back and try to live life the best I can. One thing that has changed my life is CBD oil! It makes my pain go away I wish I had it when I had my surgery I can’t recommend it enough. My neurosurgeon says it blocks the pain receptors in my nerves and that my nerves were damaged by the back injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 and started noticed a few "tweeks" here and there last year. Lower back started locking up a few years ago and would chalk it up to not using my legs and such. Then after a few more times went to a chiropractor I know and he has helped a bunch. But left shoulder gets a bit more tight, left knee "pops" here and there (no pain but still). Just gotta keep plugging along with getting stronger and leaner as we all get older!

56 this year and I’m starting to fall apart. If I drop something I take my time to pick it up because I don’t want the back to go. Left shoulder is regularly in pain. Labrum maybe? Need to go see the doc. Still, I’m driving it longer than I ever have so please pass the Tito’s and Alleve!

JM

Minor update on this. When I started this thread I had some neck soreness and middle left back pain. Neck soreness was unrelated to golf and has healed completely. The middle back was a pinched nerve. Most likely from swinging. I was really violently getting my shoulder under my chin and then some. So aggravated I couldn't turn like I could a couple years ago I was just haphazard. I would really feel it when driving and clearing the blind spot to change lanes to the right. I hit up a orthopedic doctor and he diagnosed it immediately. Some prescription drugs and some rest and I'm back in business. I need to really stretch and go slow up the club lengths when I practice. Something I have never done properly. All the working out I have been doing, in the last 6 months, has made me feel like superman. So much I ignored the limitations of what my body can do. Additionally, I learned how bad my everyday posture is and probably contributed to my pinched nerve. Fixing my normal standing and sitting posture is going to be a nightmare but anything is possible.

Take it easy out there.

62 and I was just at Injected speed.....played 18 Friday, 36 on Saturday and 18 more on Sunday.....If i wake up in the am i figure i am ahead of the game....It not hard to wake up with aches and pain, but we persevere and go on because we love the game....

Back