I need help with this little dilemma (golf related).

Reaction score
Handicap
I wasn't sure where to post this but here goes... Annual vacation to Martha's Vineyard is coming up next month with wife, son, brother in law, sister in law and all the cousins (about 15). Imagine a hot beach cottage with no a/c, no cable t.v. and the least expensive golf option is $185 a round. Plus, I don't really get along with anyone (in-laws!) so I don't want to go and I don't want to stay home either.

Instead, I want to book a solo trip to Scottsdale for a couple of days. I have an opportunity for the ultimate PING fitting plus 4-5 rounds of golf at places like TPC, Boulders, Troon North & Grayhawk. I would get there Tuesday morning and have all day to play, Wednesday morning is the fitting and then the rest of the day to play, all day Thursday to play and then my flight is at 10pm and I would get home on Friday morning.

With some creative bargain shopping, I got it down to $477 for air, hotel and car. Then there are things like Uber to/from the airport, gas for the rental car, checked bag fees, 3 meals a day (Dunkin Donuts, Subway & Chipotle), golf and of course souvenirs! So I am ball-parking $1000+ total.

I have an all PING bag now and I'm just looking to fine tune things a bit to make sure I have the right clubs for me. I hear there is a new i210 and iBlade coming soon, Glide 3.0 wedges and I would like to try the Blueprint & LST. I know for a fact already that I am losing a lot of distance with the driver and irons.

My only hesitations are what if they can't improve my numbers and is it worth the money for a couple of days? Is it possible that a particular OEM just won't work for someone?

Thanks!

How does your wife feel about your alternative? That would seem to me to be a bigger concern than whether Ping can fine tune and improve your bag. But I have an aversion to sleeping in the yard, so....

No one on here is going to be able to tell you "if it's worth it." You're the only one to decide that.

But I'll post my 2 cents anyways. First of all, you're complaining that Martha's Vineyard is going to be hot, yet you are thinking of going to Scottsdale in July and playing golf all day long? Scottsdale will easily be 30-40 degrees warmer than MV at that time of year.

If you haven't been fit for your current PING stuff, then the staff at PING HQ will almost assuredly improve on your current set. But then you're out more money when you buy the new clubs.

Finally, you're thinking about ditching your son and your wife and her side of the family to go on a golf trip on your own? Either you have the most understanding wife in the world, or there's something else that you're not telling us.

How does your wife feel about your alternative? That would seem to me to be a bigger concern than whether Ping can fine tune and improve your bag. But I have an aversion to sleeping in the yard, so....

It's her side of the family - it's almost like I am not there. My idea of fun is not going to the beach from sun up to sun down every day.

No one on here is going to be able to tell you "if it's worth it." You're the only one to decide that.

But I'll post my 2 cents anyways. First of all, you're complaining that Martha's Vineyard is going to be hot, yet you are thinking of going to Scottsdale in July and playing golf all day long? Scottsdale will easily be 30-40 degrees warmer than MV at that time of year.

If you haven't been fit for your current PING stuff, then the staff at PING HQ will almost assuredly improve on your current set. But then you're out more money when you buy the new clubs.

Finally, you're thinking about ditching your son and your wife and her side of the family to go on a golf trip on your own? Either you have the most understanding wife in the world, or there's something else that you're not telling us.

As I mentioned though, imagine an old beach house with no a/c and the worst beds for your back vs. a hotel with a/c. Plus, I've gone with them the last 3 years and with her off and on the previous 9 years. I've been there and done that already.

I have and haven't been fit if that makes sense. PGATSS Tour Fitting back in March. I am playing with their iron and shaft recommendation, same with the hybrid for 3 months and not seeing the results that I saw during the fitting. The driver I am getting killed with. 240 off the tee. I've been to a couple of Titleist fittings and the TS3 with Evenflow White 65g. 6.0 I am getting 270. I've thought about buying an Even Flow White shaft for the G410 to see if I can recreate the magic.

She's pretty understanding. She's happy b/c she is with her siblings and cousins and my son is happy b/c he is with all of his cousins. I'm happy b/c I'm playing golf.

My other option is I have a fitting booked at the Titleist facility in MA for August. The price tag on that is $600 so I save a little money and still go to MV with them.

Back