Help with footwork and balance

annsguy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
My swing is good for me but my footwork and balance needs help. I have knee replacements which create some of my issue but would appreciate any tips or drills just to look more professional at the end of the swing. I’m often not up on the point in a finished position. just to be clear. I don’t swing too hard so that’s not my issue.

My swing is good for me but my footwork and balance needs help. I have knee replacements which create some of my issue but would appreciate any tips or drills just to look more professional at the end of the swing. I’m often not up on the point in a finished position. just to be clear. I don’t swing too hard so that’s not my issue.

I've had both knees replaced, too (five years ago), and I don't have any issues with balance that I would associate with them. I think if I were you I would start by looking at my setup position first. Just a thought.

Looks? There is nothing on the score card that ask how you looked while making a par, birdie or bogie. Find a swing that get the ball on the green in the fewest strokes possible. Don’t worry about how it looks. I’ve made some of my best swings that yielded bogies. I have made birds after a topped driver, shanked 7 iron and a one hop 8 iron, for birdie.

Grip-Posture-Alignment are the address fundamentals which dictate all aspects of a golf swing (including footwork and balance).
To your specific question, if you want to "finish better" know that a swing's finish is a consequence of its back swing, which is effective when done from an address position of sound fundamental grip-posture-alignment.

I'm all about performance. I couldn't care less about looks. Having said that I can tell you are giving up a lot of swing speed and therefore distance by not pivoting to a finish with all weight on the front foot and your back foot up on your toe. Your consistency will also suffer costing you strokes. So this is worth fixing. Work on setup, balance, swing tempo and sequencing to create a balanced swing with a consistent finish.

Last edited:
I'm all about performance. I couldn't care less about looks. Having said that I can tell you are giving up a lot of swing speed and therefore distance by not pivoting to a finish with all weight on the front foot and your back foot up on your toe. Your consistency will also suffer costing your strokes. So this is worth fixing. Work on setup, balance, swing tempo and sequencing to create a balanced swing with a consistent finish.

+1
AA.jpg

Do some drills where your feet are really close together or your lead foot in front of the other, working out incrementally to your normal width, try and swing as fully as possible without falling over. Helps me swing within myself, in balance but still (relatively) fast.

Back