OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
I know... for those of you who've met me, you can just confirm the short answer is a resounding YES! However, that's not what I'm getting at with this post.

So, on May 4th, I shot a 79, my best score since my return from my 6ish year hiatus.

Today, I shot a 42-33/75! All time PR for me. It was from the white tees, but I honestly don't feel like that cheapens it much at all. I still hit the shots and made the birdies (4) to get me there.

My question comes because I'm in the midst of trying to rebuild my bag. Am I crazy for wanting new clubs when I'm playing so well with what's in the bag now?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ah, the cross we all bear around here. The desire to always tinker. You’re not crazy to have the desire, but maybe crazy to pull the trigger?

Maybe just wait a few weeks until you snap out of it and shoot something int he mid 80s or low 90s... That’s my MO.

Ah, the cross we all bear around here. The desire to always tinker. You’re not crazy to have the desire, but maybe crazy to pull the trigger?

Maybe just wait a few weeks until you snap out of it and shoot something int he mid 80s or low 90s... That’s my MO.

Oh, it wont be that long for mid-80's. So, maybe, I'll just wait a few days.
df5b9eb2690c428a778f551fe26f2edc.jpg
34b4dd17645e87c4eb8f92f5a877f044.jpg
6ba2d509357c36850c7931d339ffeddb.jpg

That looks very similar to my GHIN listing...

Congrats on the great round, THIRTY THREE on the back, WOW! I won't say you're crazy to want to tinker but in every other way you're certifiable.

Honestly, I think its just the nature of a golfer. We ALWAYS want more out of the game than we're getting. Equipment is no exception for most of us. Some people play the same bag for decades and are content. I think I can safely say that most of us are always on the hunt for that little extra out of our equipment (even though actually working more on ours games would be more effective).

Crazy? No.

But I'm already regretting parting with my Epic driver. I enjoyed nearly a 2 year wave of my best driving ever with it.

Bought a Rogue SZ, and things seemed the same, even a little better (longer). Hurt my back, then again a few months later, hurt it again. Bought a G400 Max in the interim and figured the Rogue SZ performed so the Epic was expendable.

Came back from injury and have yet to find my driving mojo.

By all means, get new stuff. New toys are fun. But don't ever part with what works until absolutely positive that the new stuff is an upgrade. I previously NEVER did this.

Just some humble remorseful seller's advice.

You aren't crazy.

New doesn't always equal better, but sometimes it does.

Crazy? No.

But I'm already regretting parting with my Epic driver. I enjoyed nearly a 2 year wave of my best driving ever with it.

Bought a Rogue SZ, and things seemed the same, even a little better (longer). Hurt my back, then again a few months later, hurt it again. Bought a G400 Max in the interim and figured the Rogue SZ performed so the Epic was expendable.

Came back from injury and have yet to find my driving mojo.

By all means, get new stuff. New toys are fun. But don't ever part with what works until absolutely positive that the new stuff is an upgrade. I previously NEVER did this.

Just some humble remorseful seller's advice.
Suffice it to say, I have plenty to fall back on if I should need to reminisce.
5a25b7750ae486d359751e58c53ad919.jpg
dc2ae53185fd18e2d51195e2d24d15c7.jpg
501ef7e5cd70d36bb8c3c0fad5ae55f2.jpg
76536f4484f3bdc8be5b767b4b290be4.jpg
b3c2c85783339ef3b0e50a2a01e7c4df.jpg
4ea2310e3bcfd4112f3ccb3cb8ec75d4.jpg
1dc7685eec9cd784418ac0990246f971.jpg
e2a15203af9d1c07fc458cad3adbcb50.jpg

It's always fun to rebuild the bag. You know you can shoot well with your current bag so why not get different clubs to see if you can shoot well with them? It makes the game exciting.
The best is when you build or tinker with your own clubs and shoot well. Anyone can go get fitted but when you "fit" yourself and manipulate your clubs yourself then go out and shoot well then that's the greatest satisfaction.
I have been doing that for the last 4 years. If Tom Wishon never responded to my emails with advice he has given me I'd never have gotten into club building my own clubs.

Suffice it to say, I have plenty to fall back on if I should need to reminisce.
5a25b7750ae486d359751e58c53ad919.jpg
dc2ae53185fd18e2d51195e2d24d15c7.jpg
501ef7e5cd70d36bb8c3c0fad5ae55f2.jpg
76536f4484f3bdc8be5b767b4b290be4.jpg
b3c2c85783339ef3b0e50a2a01e7c4df.jpg
4ea2310e3bcfd4112f3ccb3cb8ec75d4.jpg
1dc7685eec9cd784418ac0990246f971.jpg
e2a15203af9d1c07fc458cad3adbcb50.jpg

You're covered!

Before my semi-recent donation, I was in similar shape. Still have lots, and much that worked from even a decade ago.

Yet I inexplicably parted with my Epic driver.

Don't do that.

Congrats on the great play! Don't think you are crazy at all. None of us are making a living at this game. Play with what makes you happy!

Crazy? No! I don't care what tees you play from! A good score is a good score. You still have to manage your game around the course, hit the shots and make the putts.

That said, I'm an enabler! Go for the new equipment! :act-up:

New and shiny is always fun no matter how well you're playing.

It's always fun to rebuild the bag. You know you can shoot well with your current bag so why not get different clubs to see if you can shoot well with them? It makes the game exciting.
The best is when you build or tinker with your own clubs and shoot well. Anyone can go get fitted but when you "fit" yourself and manipulate your clubs yourself then go out and shoot well then that's the greatest satisfaction.
I have been doing that for the last 4 years. If Tom Wishon never responded to my emails with advice he has given me I'd never have gotten into club building my own clubs.
I agree 100%. I've learned so much and I still only have the tip of the iceberg in my puny little brain. I've had ~3 lessons in my life so I know that when I play well (or poorly which happens more often) it's a product of my doing almost entirely.

I know... for those of you who've met me, you can just confirm the short answer is a resounding YES! However, that's not what I'm getting at with this post.

So, on May 4th, I shot a 79, my best score since my return from my 6ish year hiatus.

Today, I shot a 42-33/75! All time PR for me. It was from the white tees, but I honestly don't feel like that cheapens it much at all. I still hit the shots and made the birdies (4) to get me there.

My question comes because I'm in the midst of trying to rebuild my bag. Am I crazy for wanting new clubs when I'm playing so well with what's in the bag now?

Not trying to be judgy, but... crazy for the bag changing after shooting a 75 - 42/33 at 13.5 cap? Yes.

Dave

I have two potentially expensive hobbies: guitar playing and golf.

There are all kinds of parallels between the two in regard to new gear.

Personally, and this is just my opinion: once the gear reaches a certain threshold of quality, I’ve found the differences between clubs or guitars/amps/pedals to be largely insignificant.

Once a guitar or a golf club feels good in my hands I’ll keep it for a long time and spend my time and money on practice or playing out instead of on gear.

But that’s just me, and I know it’s counter to the typical THP way, haha.

As Lucy said to Charlie Brown from the sike, er, Psychit, er, advice booth, "The fact that you realize you have this problem means you cannot be too far gone."

Not trying to be judgy, but... crazy for the bag changing after shooting a 75 - 42/33 at 13.5 cap? Yes.

Dave
I guess I need to update that. The latest Grint update puts me at -12.7 and the next one should drop it again. As has been said, though, I'm 100% certifiable.

Well I just bought a set of irons. Did I NEED them? No. It's not a matter of need. But I am playing my wedges better although I'm still trying to figure out the partial shots.

Question - were you properly fitted for the clubs currently in the bag that you have just shot a PB with?

If yes, then I would maybe be in two minds about getting a new bag

If no, just think what you could potentially do with clubs properly fitted..... :D

I shot 75,76,79 last year at my home course (par 72) with the clubs that were in my bag, but I am replacing all of mine as they aren't ideal any more with how much my swing has evolved, so maybe I am crazy as well

Totally unrelated..but what app is that for keeping stats? Looks like it includes strokes gained?
GolfPad

Haha. My game really came together yesterday after about a 2 week struggle. I get off the course and the first thing I'm doing is looking at new utility irons to regap between my 3w and 4i. So, no you are normal - at least normal amongst us on here!

Back