Golf Course Greens: Aeration & Sanding, should you told before you buy green fee's?

I think they should at the very least let you know before the round. The courses in Minnesota are good about this with either a sign at the check in desk or a notice on their website.

its having any temp greens that annoy me more. But yea I thik they should inform us. My county does post the maintenance schedules for all courses on the websit. Well....not visibly but they have a link if you know to click on it. But never ever any discount. its the tempo green thing (although rare) that bothers me more because you don't know till you arrive at the course. And yea, still no discount.

But I am on the fence about the discount for maintenance (aeration) because its a necessary evil that makes the course nice to begin with and its an expense. So if they discount, then they have less money for such maintenance. Sort of a catch-22 I think. Would I like a discount for it? sure and I think it would be deserving, but I can also understand the other side. But..lol...my county has 5 courses so its not like they lose anything because most just avoid that one course and play another as they do scatter the aeration nicely apart so your not stuck with all 5 aerated courses at once. I do suppose (especially on crowded weekends) when not so easy to get tee times that some do not play at all because only available time is on the aerated course, but if they offered a discount I'll bet people would take advantage of that discount and play there anyway. So it just might prove to be beneficial for them to discount the rounds for (lest say 2 to 3 weeks) on the aerated greens course.

Pro shop should make you well aware of any aeration or major maintenance going on that you would encounter during the course of play. They should, in my opinion, also offer discounted pricing at that time if it effects play, which many/most do. Anything other than that is misleading.

/thread

Couldn't have said it better myself. :clapp:

Pro shop should make you well aware of any aeration or major maintenance going on that you would encounter during the course of play. They should, in my opinion, also offer discounted pricing at that time if it effects play, which many/most do. Anything other than that is misleading.

/thread

Agree'd.

We post it in the newsletter, online, and have signs in the pro shop and around the clubhouse. Green fees are reduced during these times, generally a couple of days or sanding and about a week for aeration.

If its that time of year I usually ask. Never know who is answering the phones when you call. If I get there and they are punched. Not happy but I probably should have asked.

Eh...I can't putt anyway, so I don't really care.

In all honesty I see it as a matter of common courtesy to let your customers know when your product/service will be less than what they are accustomed to.

/thread
Big Time and I ran into a little awkward situation last week. We booked a time on Golf Now on one of their hot deals. Got to the course only to find out because of recent rains, we only got to play the back 9 twice. The front was closed. Looked at our receipt from GolfNow and there was a footnote about it. But, should have been information available before we booked it. Turned out ok, it's was a decent course. Just not what we thought we had paid for.

It's very annoying, absolutely... And it's why I think the course needs to make it clear, whether they announce it during the call, on the site, wherever, that the greens have been ravaged.
We are aerating today and tomorrow.

When we put a note on our tee sheet (for the counter staff to have to initial before they can finish the reservation, they have to tell the caller) it also puts an "Aerification Notice" on the web-based reservation sites, as well as our course website. You gotta actually read it, it's not in bold or red or anything, but there's not a lot to read anyway. We can't MAKE people read the notices but it is there.

However, as I found out today, it does NOT put it up on the Hot Deal prices. We had a couple guys skip playing because they didn't know (ALTHOUGH, my wife remembers telling the same group LAST Tuesday when they were here that we were aerating, they just forgot she told them). I sent an email off to Golf Now and they said they have to do the hot deals manually.

If I call in and book a t time, most of the courses around here will give me a heads up that the course has been recently aerated.

However, when I book on golf now, they never mention anything, which is fine. Once one course starts aerating, most others have as well.

See my post right before this one. If a course puts a note on their tee sheet for their counter staff to read, they should have the option to put it on web based reservation sites. But not automatically for the Hot Deals. The course has to let the the website know for those to be noted.

I have phone apps for about 5 course and always check Facebook. 3 of the courses in the loop will put it on there app or Facebook and discount the GF. Usually around $10. A few will update there website with areation dates. Depending on the course the greens are back in two weeks. Muni can take a month. I don't know if the courses get together and work a schedule out, but they are pretty well spaced out. They start early March and go thru late April. It's when the plug the fairways and that's not mentioned is what gets me upset the most.

/thread

Exactly what this gent said.

I will agree with almost everyone on here, that they should alert you and offer either a discounted rate, or a voucher for $$ off the next round.

That said, if it's one of the regular courses in my area it wouldn't bother me too much as the rates are reasonable...

If I had booked a course like Torrey Pines or some other course that charges non-locals $200+ then yeah... I'd probably be consulting the proshop guy at the turn... IMO to not at least inform the consumer is bush league

If you go to pretty much an major ski resort they post the conditions of the mountain prior to you buying a lift ticket. You can then infer the conditions prior to you paying $100+, why not do the same for golf?

Every course should notify you and let you make the decision discount or not. No bait and switch!!

You should be told ahead of time and their should be signage. Also think the green fees should be discounted for the first couple of days after punching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Last time it happened we booked and wasn't told. They let us play 18 and gave us a free 9 because the back 9 was being aerated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to me it depends on what kind of aerating is being done. If cores are taken out and loads of top dressing is put down then a heads up is appreciated but if it was just needle tines I don't think it would matter since it was most likely rolled flat afterwards.

Yes, you should be informed of conditions of the course prior to paying for your round.

Thread over.
I love this response.

Seruously in this day and age, when booking through golfnow, it tells you the maintence that has happened. I can't remember the last time I was surprised by the conditions of a course.

I enjoy a nice game of plinko.

Back