How do you approach low running punch shots ?

I play it off my back foot and take never more than a half swing (at least I tell myself that) with an abbreviated finish. I also play for this punch shot to cut a little.

Just inside in the right foot with a closed club face and a chopped off swing.

How does one play a ball 10" behind their right foot? There is no turn and you're literally hitting down on the ball.

Depending on how low I need the shot to be, I'll use a 5 or 6 iron, play it just behind center toward my right foot and increase my forward press in my hands more than normal. I then (depending on the distance I need) will make a larger putting stroke or more of a rounded swing with my shoulders, not trying to break my wrist down with hinge at all, or VERY little if any.

I play it off my back foot and take never more than a half swing (at least I tell myself that) with an abbreviated finish. I also play for this punch shot to cut a little.

The low cut is something I need to add to my arsenal. The low hook is not a problem, but if I ever need to cut it and keep it low, I'm basically screwed.

I usually play it just off my right (back) instep and usually hit a quarter to half swing with a limited follow through. I use the Pelz method for my wedges, so I just use the same swing with a 6 Iron and it works out pretty well.

This really is a shot I should practice much more on the range than I do. I might hit 2 or 3 of them if I am lucky and remember I should practice it.

I take my 4I and put the ball about even with my back foot and then take usually less than a half swing.

I put the ball back in my stance, maybe 3 inches forward of my back foot. Then I let the loft of the club along with my forward press accomplish the desired height of the shot.

I use this mostly under tree branches.

Bank back in my stance, a little forward of the back foot. 50-60% swing, really nothing more than that. Something very controlled.

I was taught at an early age how to hit the punch shot. I still practice the 100-125 punch shot on the range

depending on the type I want to hit, I can draw or fade the punch shot. mostly 7 or 6 iron about an inch behind right foot with an open stance, I use this for draw or fade, I just use the different follow through with my hands to put the spin on it that I want.

get the feel for the right distance and this can save a stroke or two on your round

I set up with the ball just inside my right ankle, 1/2 swing at most, and a super tight grip with no wrist break at all (or so it seems). Having no wrist break is key for me. This works well to hit a shot out to about 125 or so , that never gets more than a few feet off the ground. One thing I haven't been able to do is hit a full shot like this. Any more of a back swing, or any wrist break, and the ball is going way up. I'm always amazed at seeing pros hit full shots that never get more than 10' high, yet go a remarkably long way.

Hands forward
Ball back
Dead handed 1/2 to 3/4 swing

Ball shoots out low and straight every time.

Ball back of stance, start low, finish low, minimal wrist action. Emphasis on crisp ball contact and follow through pointing to target.

I set up with both feet together and it's almost all just a full upper body move. Can hit serious 175 yard low stingers out of the trees this way.

Never tried putting the ball completely behind my back foot, I usually put it off of my big toe. Firm wrists, and feel like I'm only taking the club hip to hip. Being a reformed banana slicer who landed in the trees more often than not, I learned how to hit this shot pretty quickly!

Back