Golftec Fitting: Driver

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, before 2019 I have never been fit for any clubs. I am one of those golfers who just purchased off the rack based on reviews and other characteristics I liked when looking at clubs. This year I was lucky to be selected to the Odyssey Experience which gave me a super putter fitting by some of the best in the world. I decided to purchase the Cobra F9 OL irons based on other reviews here, but did have them fit for me right before leaving for the Odyssey Experience. That only left driver and FWs to be fitted. So, since I started taking lessons from Golftec, which is another story, I asked them to fit me for a driver.

The Golftec fitting is approximately one hour in length and the fitter will mainly look at three areas to see about fitting you: swing speed, launch angle, spin. When I went in to see the fitter I said I have really three things I am looking at, proper shaft, proper length, proper driver head. I wasn't too concerned with sound or feel and I said you will be the best to see which in those combinations gives me the best distance with smallest dispersion. The issue right off the bat is Golftec doesn't have a lot to choose from in terms of heads or shafts. The choices to be fitted for were only stock shafts (I only had three to choose from and try) and limited head options (only available in Epic Flash, Titleist, and Taylor Made options). This could cause an issue, but I thought let's see what the numbers say.

I do believe the Golftec fitter was trying to do his job, but since we had limited options I couldn't really nail down much information. The only data he looked at was their system showing if I was in the green bar for launch, spin, and distance based off of my swing speed. We tried the Epic Flash reg and SZ, the TS, M5, and M6 driver heads. Along with shafts that each of these drivers that came in stock off the rack. After an hour the only thing noticeable was I needed to find a shaft with a lower profile as my original head with different shafts performed the same as any of the heads we tried. I would say I was a bit disappointed in this fitting to say the least. The fitter than said he would email me all of the data for me to look at and than I could later discuss to see if anything would be a better option than my current gamer. The problem was the only email I received was an email stating the M6 would be my best option. OK, first the fitter and I spoke and both thought my current driver with a different shaft performed the best, but second and most important to me was that I received no data at all. When I called back Golftec stated they don't keep/save any of the data only the top suggestion from the fitting. I was very disappointed with that since if I knew that to be true I would have written down the data numbers for me to look at later.

Overall, I could not suggest using Golftec for fittings. Not that the fitter didn't try his best. The issue is they are very limited in what is available and you could do the exact same in fitting by simply going to a Dicks Sporting Goods store and testing clubs out. In the end, I am sitting here google and asking friends on THP about shaft profiles and doing most of the work myself. I surely don't feel as the fitting was worth anything at all from Golftec.

I would rate Golftec fitting as a 4 out of 10, more on the poor side then average.

Note to self: Avoid getting fit at GolfTec like the plague.

I would suggest going to Club Champion for a driver fitting. They have a center in Philly. Now, you probably won't like the price they quote you for the driver but, they will give you the data and the specs for the recommendation and you can then shop for the driver.

I too had a less than great experience with GofTec when I lived in SEPA. I resorted to taking lessons from the golf coach at Penn and then got fitted at Cub Champion.

Back