Danny Willett's Iron Swing

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
Just saw the on the Golf Fix yesterday. He picks the clubhead up right away on the take away with his hands close to the right leg. Also holds a strong grip. A very simple and efficient motion with good lag. I may have to try it out at the range.

It's similar in some areas to Leadbetters A swing in the early wrist set. Freddie made mention of this and of the Leadbetter influence in the masters thread on Sunday

Rick Shiels did an analysis of his swing too, and I was thinking it looked A swing-like. The angles from his back and down swing change dramatically. Served him well. His bogey free round Sunday was underemphasized in my opinion.

It's similar in some areas to Leadbetters A swing in the early wrist set. Freddie made mention of this and of the Leadbetter influence in the masters thread on Sunday
I think your assessment is right on!

I think this swing makes it easy to sequence the body right.

I think this swing makes it easy to sequence the body right.

The swing is very unique and in theory, it makes a lot of sense. My only concern is getting the sequence right every time. Golf it hard enough, and everyone swing differently, but if this is going to be the newest thing in swings. Why don't we see more Tour Pro's swinging this way already?

Maybe it is because I am looking for it, but I see a lot of similarities with his swing and what I am working on with my instructor. He played some amazing iron shots on Sunday, so it is good to see somebody having success with this swing.

The swing is very unique and in theory, it makes a lot of sense. My only concern is getting the sequence right every time. Golf it hard enough, and everyone swing differently, but if this is going to be the newest thing in swings. Why don't we see more Tour Pro's swinging this way already?

in reading the article it sounds like he has an issue with one of his hips, and this swing was designed to compensate for that.

i don't like the way it looks at full speed. it looks like there's a lot of re-route and wasted movement. granted, he just won the masters, so there's that... :)

Compensation for injury without making things worse. As Freddie mentioned in the masters thread he gets set early and can then turn and the fire thru. He has played real consistent golf for the better
part of the year. As long as he keeps from getting inside to much he should be just fine

His driver swing is different also in that his backswing is over the top but everything is right on plane for the downswing.

Last edited:
Haney talks about early wrist cock as well. It's not a bad move. At least there are plenty of other worse things to do.

Back