Question: What is the difference hitting 13.5 driver vs 13.5 strong 3 wood off deck?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am debating adding a second driver/fairway wood to my bag, but looking at the 13.5 degree types.

So, I am trying to debate the difference from hitting a 13.5 degree driver off the tee and deck vs hitting the 13.5 strong 3 wood off the tee and deck.

I know the driver is 460cc and the strong 3 wood would be around 170cc, so how much of a difference does that make when hitting off the deck?

Do you carry a second driver or 3 wood?

I am debating adding a second driver/fairway wood to my bag, but looking at the 13.5 degree types.

So, I am trying to debate the difference from hitting a 13.5 degree driver off the tee and deck vs hitting the 13.5 strong 3 wood off the tee and deck.

I know the driver is 460cc and the strong 3 wood would be around 170cc, so how much of a difference does that make when hitting off the deck?

I don't carry either. But, what you are describing can probably be found in the TM Original One. That would be a good middle ground between the two options.

I'm no club tech or guru, but the size would be a factor and the CG no?

Just a couple wild guesses, really have 0 clue and talking out my ass haha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Talking out of my bum. Driver would have a high COG because they are deeper than driver, making them a little harder to elevate off the deck.
Generally their shafts are longer too but if you cut it make sure your lie angle is right for hitting off the deck with a driver, this is something else that fairway woods are set up for with a correct lie angle for hitting off of lower tees.
With it being nigh on impossible to get a centre strike with as driver off the deck then you will most likely spin the hell out of it with a bottomed out strike.

So with a driver off the deck it'll be lower, spin more and potentially more difficult to strike with a longer shaft and a weird lie angle. With a fairway wood you will have more shot shape options, not just a low bullet.

If you're looking for a strong 3w, get a strong 3w. If you want a second driver, then get a second driver but give up the 3w. Learning to hit a driver off the deck, even a higher lofted one, is still really damn hard!

I guess the question you kinda need to answer for yourself is what do you plan on using the 13.5 for?

For the majority of players, trying to strike a good shot with a large 170CC 3 -wood "off the deck" , is very difficult, even if the the lie is sitting up well, on level ground etc... Trying to strike a good shot with a 460CC driver off the deck, no matter what the loft of the head, is nearly impossible.
Sure a player can hit driver off the deck , move the ball forward with a low trajectory running shot etc..., but is that helpful ?
For the most part, it's been more than 20 years (when driver heads sizes crept up above 400CC) that Tour pros stopped attempting "driver off the deck".

Three wood is designed to hit off the deck but can easily be used off the tee. The driver is designed to hit off the tee and is very difficult to hit off the deck.

I'd can the 5 wood and pick up two clubs. A 13.5 strong 3 to hit off the tee and a 16.5 4 wood to hit off the deck. The 3 wood gives you the distance you're looking for off the tee and the 4 wood gives you more distance than your 5W off the deck.

Well, in my head that's the way it will be and is what I'm getting ready to do. I'm working on finding a 3W right now.

I'd can the 5 wood and pick up two clubs. A 13.5 strong 3 to hit off the tee and a 16.5 4 wood to hit off the deck. The 3 wood gives you the distance you're looking for off the tee and the 4 wood gives you more distance than your 5W off the deck.

Well, in my head that's the way it will be and is what I'm getting ready to do. I'm working on finding a 3W right now.

I agree with this strategy, but, as previously mentioned, if the 13.5 three wood is to be used exclusively as a tee club, I would seriously consider the new TaylorMade Original One Mini. It truly is an awesome club off the tee. The 4 wood would then become the primary club to advance the ball on a long par 5.

With a driver you will generally have higher MOI. You will also have lower and deeper CG and more surface area. Generally speaking of course.

Al, here is my take on this as some who has played a 13.5* driver in the past and is currently playing a 13.5* fairway wood.

You want a 13.5* driver because you either a) need the launch to get ideal carry or b) want a club that you plan to use off the tee 99% of the time that is going to be used on when you have to hit the fairway and want more control of your ball/extra forgiveness that a driver gives you

You want a 13.5* fairway wood because you a) hit a fairway wood better off the tee than you do a driver or b) it fits their launch conditions better than 15* or so FW wood off the deck.

I played the 13.5* driver for a while, and while I enjoyed it, with my lack of distance I found I could just hit driver on most tight tee shots and I really need a 3w in the bag that I could comfortably hit off the deck.

Surprisingly I got fit into a 13.5* fairway wood (I always assumed it was for players with a lot of speed, and usually it can be) but as I generate a good amount of spin and launch a 13.5* head gave me a little more distance than a 15* head did and was as easy to hit as the 15*.

I like the idea of a 13.5 driver for off the tee and replace my 5 wood with a 4. This would give me the option of the tight drive and use the 4 for the longer par 4 and working down the par 5 holes to allow a better shot into the green.

The big think to consider is that clubs are made to be hit in the center of the face. If the face is as big as a driver it is going to be very difficult to get center face contact with the ball setting on the ground. The contact will be lower on the face which means it is going to be difficult to launch, have very little backspin, and roll a lot.

Driver off the deck will be way more inconsistent from my experience. Like you I wanted a secondary tee option and at the same time have a club i could use from the fairway if needed. Enter the Epic Flash 3+, it's great off the tee with some good distance and forgiveness and I have no issues hitting off the turf if need be.

I have carried a 12.5* XHot 2Deep or 13.5* 3Deep for the last 6+ years. They are way easier to hit off the deck than a driver and for me only about 15 yards shorter off the tee. If you are not a high ball hitter or have clubhead speed over 100mph, most modern drivers will be pretty tough to hit consistently off the deck. I also have the Taylormade Original One 13.5* adjustable mini driver and it is certainly harder to hit off the deck which is why it may not permanently replace the 2Deep I currently game on most courses.

As many have mentioned, it’s pretty darn tough to hit a modern sized driver off the deck.

But I’m also not very smart on the course so a couple times a year I “attempt” this shot with a driver somewhere between 6.5*-8* of loft. Usually it’ll be a second into a par 5 into the wind when a left to right shape is needed. I would never attempt this shot in any serious competition as I am probably less than 50% at pulling off a successful shot.

When I do pull it off it is a low fade bullet that can run out pretty well. But I’m as likely to top it and have it go 50 yards as I am in pulling it off. It’s kind of one of those “hold my beer and watch this” type things.

My kids usually try to talk me out of it that’s how dumb it is for me to be playing that shot, lol. But hey, I’m not just on the short bus, I’m the damn captain.

TL/DR-if you’re planning on using it off the fairway, go the 3+ route.

I've carried a 14* Mini Driver for years for this exact purpose. It's awesome off the tee, and pretty decent off the deck most of the time. The new Original One is substantially larger, but from what I've read here it plays the role of fairway wood pretty well, too.

If you're looking for a strong 3w, get a strong 3w. If you want a second driver, then get a second driver but give up the 3w. Learning to hit a driver off the deck, even a higher lofted one, is still really damn hard!

I guess the question you kinda need to answer for yourself is what do you plan on using the 13.5 for?

I think Wardy pretty much nailed it! Even at 13.5* a driver off the deck is almost always a non starter. Unless you’re playing in a scramble, then you fire away!

CG, length of shaft, depth of face to get to the sweet spot. Driver off the deck is typically a nightmare.

I'm playing a 12* driver turned up to 13.5* with a 3 wood length shaft. Hitting it off the deck is doable if I hit down through the ball. That said if the lie is baked out tight or settled way down in the rough it's not going to be successful.

That said, the reason it is in the bag is more for off the tee which is what a 3 wood is for me. If you routinely use your 3 wood off the deck, I would question going with a strong 3 or second driver since realistically they are playing more towards that philosophy.

I am actually thinking of getting the TaylorMade Mini driver at 13.5. With it being 260cc I can get both off tee and off deck on long par 4 or par 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am actually thinking of getting the TaylorMade Mini driver at 13.5. With it being 260cc I can get both off tee and off deck on long par 4 or par 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The original one? I have no need for that club, but I'm sooooo curious and want to try it so bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back