merlebo02

Reaction score
Handicap
I got fitted for some irons (5-AW) and now wanting to get a SW and LW. Should I get the SW and LW the same fittings as the iron recommendations or should I just buy standard wedges?

my fitting recommendation was 2 degrees upright and plus 1/2 inch on shaft length.

I got fitted for some irons (5-AW) and now wanting to get a SW and LW. Should I get the SW and LW the same fittings as the iron recommendations or should I just buy standard wedges?

my fitting recommendation was 2 degrees upright and plus 1/2 inch on shaft length.

I was fit for a full bag as part of the 2019 Morgan Cup with Cobra/Puma. The fitter recommended 1 up on my irons, so I went ahead and ordered the same on my wedges.

I get wedges to the same specs as the irons I'm fit for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the OEM, some have different lie angles and lengths to start with.

I suggest you play your wedges at plus .5" length (same as your iron set), but have the wedges be of standard lie angle.
Upright lie angle wedges , because of their tendency to promote left biased shots, just make consistently good green side chipping and pitching too much of a challenge.

When I was fit at Bridgestone they also had the wedges match the same specs at my irons 1* upright and 1/2" long.

I suggest you play your wedges at plus .5" length (same as your iron set), but have the wedges be of standard lie angle.
Upright lie angle wedges , because of their tendency to promote left biased shots, just make consistently good green side chipping and pitching too much of a challenge.
If the wedges are made to the same "spec" as the irons, then they wont be "upright" for him... they'll just be "right".

I can't imagine why anyone would wanna play with wedges that are too flat for them. I've been there and too many shots end up right of target.

Lie angle matters much more on higher lofted clubs so it only stands to reason that you'd want your highest lofted clubs to be right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If the wedges are made to the same "spec" as the irons, then they wont be "upright" for him... they'll just be "right".

I can't imagine why anyone would wanna play with wedges that are too flat for them. I've been there and too many shots end up right of target.

Lie angle matters much more on higher lofted clubs so it only stands to reason that you'd want your highest lofted clubs to be right.

Most of the best players in the world have lie angles on their wedges that are flatter (relative to the length of the club) than any of their other clubs.

It's nothing to do with which direction the face points due to a toe-up or toe-down position. It's to do with turf contact.

Most of the best players in the world have lie angles on their wedges that are flatter (relative to the length of the club) than any of their other clubs.

It's nothing to do with which direction the face points due to a toe-up or toe-down position. It's to do with turf contact.
Sorry. I didn't realize we were talking about the best players in the world. I thought we were talking about us average hackers.

Also, I'd doubt that many (if any) pros have wedges that are effectively 3° flatter than their irons.

From an article I read many years ago (in a previous century ;-) it said the norm was around two degree flat.

I believe in matched (to the rest of the ) iron set wedges. My theory is whats good for my irons should simply follow suit for the wedges. I also feel that holds true for GI type pf iron heads, why all of a sudden are we somehow better with a blade when its on a wedge?

My older set (cobras) I had matched set wedges except at the time they discontinued the LW so i had a different one by default.
My new current set of Ping g400's I also have a matched set down to the SW. The only reason I went with a cleveland CBX (cavity back) LW was because i wanted one wedge with a lower bounce for the tighter lies especially in the firm , thin or wet sand. Were it not for that I would have bought the whole G400 iron set right down to the LW. But fwiw I did get the cbx wedge with same shaft and lie angle and length that my set LW would have been.

I go back and forth on it. For a long time, I'd wear out a three-wedge set of Vokeys every couple of years and just order replacements as close to identical specs as I could get.

Now I'm more comfortable with a wedge set that is simply an extension of whatever irons (Callaways, Pings, Mizunos) I'm playing at the time. But I have a nearly new set of GW/SW/LW Vokey SM7's in the closet that I'm *constantly* tempted to pull out.

For me, going from full swings with a Super Game Improvement iron with a 100g shaft to a smaller-headed Vokey with 130g Dynamic Gold shaft for, say, a full swing SW shot just feels funny. The weight difference alone affects my timing. Plus the visual difference lining it up. But on short shots around the greens or from bunkers and rough I very much prefer the extra heft and compact head.

Given that I usually carry just 12 clubs, I guess it wouldn't be crazy to carry my JPX 900 Hot Metal irons up through the SW and also carry a 52/56/60 set of SM7's for around the greens. OK, that would be crazy.

Back